Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone running P25 on amateur?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,473 Posts

Cool Anyone running P25 on amateur?

Hi all!

What are you running on the amateur bands?

I've got a Motorola UHF Quantar repeater on the air. The Quantar has a V.24 daughterboard attached to the wireline card, and I've got it connected to a DIU3000 with AES-256 encryption installed.

The DIU3000 is interfaced with an Internet Radio Linking Project (IRLP) controller, which is hot-linked to a remote analog station about 1000-miles away.

The purpose of the AES-256 encryption on the ham band is to get rid of the know-it-alls who tape-record and complain 24/7. The key is public; it's just a matter of getting the right hardware to participate I checked with my local regulatory agency, and they are OK with the encryption so long as the key is public.

Hope to post some pics of the station/setup real soon.

--

For field use, I have the following:

- APX7000 Full Display - UHF R1/700-800
    - XTS4000 UHF R1
    - XTS5000 M3 UHF R1
    - XTS5000 M3 VHF
    - XTS2500 M3 UHF R1
    - XTS2500 M3 900 MHz, FPP ham band with ASTRO

For mobile use:

ASTRO Spectra Plus W7, 8M vocon, VHF 146-174 MHz
    ASTRO Spectra Plus W3, 8M vocon, UHF 450-485 MHz (works ham to 440 no problem)
    XTL2500 O5 head, 900 MHz, with ASTRO and ham bandsplit mod.

Both AS+ have the RX preamp installed for an extra 4-5dB sensitivity. High recommended!

All radios equipped with AES-256 for optimum QRM/OM reduction.

I also assist with another site, where we have 147 MHz, 444 MHz and 927 MHz Motorola dual-mode Quantars in service.

What's your favorite radio? Mine is the XTS4000.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

AD0JA (Aug 01, 2016),kb1bvf (Jul 22, 2016),standby106 (Sep 07, 2016),VA2PE (Aug 28, 2016)

Bezking No Longer Registered

For digital I have a VHF XTS5000, a VHF Astro Saber III and a UHF EFJ 5100. I really like the 5k and the efj is nice and light with a Moto Li-ion battery...

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX 4G
    Last edited by Bezking; Feb 14, 2012 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks

There are absolutely no hams around here that run P25. A few of them run D-STAR, which I refuse to use. I am not going to spend more money on equipment when what I have is far superior to D-STAR. I have an XTS5000 and 2500 in UHF, a VHF Astro Saber and Astro Spectra.

Thanks

for P25 i have a Astrto Saber II VHF. Got a short LiIon battery that really makes its a nice form factor. We have 1 repeater, kinda quiet most of the time, but when we do use it, it works very well. we have a few trbo's and a dstar also.

Thanks

I use a XTS2500 VHF, Unfortunatly there is nothing locally for P25 (yet ).

Thanks

There are two UHF Amateur Machines in the OKC metro area that i talk on when i am up that way. They Both are Quantars and work like champs. i just wish there were more hams into p25. I think there are only about 10-12 guys in the OKC area that are using them in digital mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    I've never really bothered 'playing' with ADP (it's like owning a Harley but still riding a tricycle)

KX5MOT No Longer Registered

I own one of the P25 repeaters Okie mentioned and while there are some of us around, I too wish there was more interest in it. Most hams around here don't understand it, I heard one guy complaining of this "60 cycle buzz" he keeps hearing and then saying "they are running PSK on that repeater or something".

GS4 is offline Inactive CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

I use P25 on 144, 440, and 900mHz and I am lucky enough to be in an area where there is P25 repeaters on all of those bands.

Some of the radios are;

APX7000 V/U1
    XTS5000 on V/U
    XTS2500 on V/U, 7/800 RX, and on 900Mhz (ham band FPP)
    XTS4000 on V/U
    A bunch of older Astro units

Kenwood TK-5210/5310

EFJ 5100 SL VHF

And just to collect,

Racal 25 (505)
    MaCom P7100
    Midland VHF
    Bendix King DPH

XTL5000 HP on V/U
    XTL5000 on 900Mhz
    Astro Spectra's
    KW TK-5710.

The APX is the one I use the most

Thanks

I've had hams tell me it's "illegal" to be running commercial equipment on the amateur band. It's "not type accepted".

Guess they don't realize their ham crap (not to diss on hams) isn't type accepted for much of anything. I'd much rather someone be using a Moto or other reputable brand radio on my repeater, than a $75 hammy-model which isn't aligned for proper deviation, warp, modulation, etc.

I once had a ham complain my Quantar was "off frequency". Kind of funny as I have the UHSO option installed.

Sure wish the DSTAR repeaters supported both analog and digital. I was actually considering one for a while, until I realized the limitation.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

wes11b10 (Aug 05, 2015)

Thanks

that goes along with a local radio tech that tells me that civilians cannot posses AES encryption. I started to whip out my XTS5K and show him the cool aes icon on the display, but self control got the better of me.

I am with you on using commercial radio for amateur use. I dont have any "ham" radios anymore. well none that i use anyway.
    I've never really bothered 'playing' with ADP (it's like owning a Harley but still riding a tricycle)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    I've had hams tell me it's "illegal" to be running commercial equipment on the amateur band. It's "not type accepted".
    I've been told that hundreds of time too. I especially like it when the ham had just finished telling me about his GE MASTR II repeater we are talking on.

Thanks

What radio do you think had more engineering/testing go into it? A $5000 public-safety grade radio which Motorola will stand behind, or a hammy radio without any shielding whatsoever, of which can only cover 4 MHz of spectrum within its advertised specs?

My Motos do 136-174 and 403-470 with full spec. No performance hits that I've ever noticed.

Same goes for taking a ham-grade portable to a repeater site (rooftop) where the environment is full of high-level RF. Can you make a simplex call (reliably) with your HT? I know my XTS5000 can hear no problem.

Again, it's important we don't start dissing hams. That is absolutely not my intent. Just commenting on build-quality and why I choose commercial gear over ham brands. Quality and reliability are very important to me.

Haven't seen any 4100mah Lithium Ion packs for them ham radios lately either

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

VA2PE (Aug 28, 2016)

Thanks

My XTS5000 does 380-470. I don't know about yours. Lol. I owned a Kenwood TM-D700 and it was the worst radio ever. Intermod on both 2 and 70 in a fairly quiet rf environment. I couldn't imagine how poorly it would work in a metropolis like LA.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt

Neo No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Bezking View Post
    For digital I have a VHF XTS5000, a VHF Astro Saber III and a UHF EFJ 5100. I really like the 5k and the efj is nice and light with a Moto Li-ion battery...

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX 4G
    Welcome Bezking

I've always thought the 5100's were kinda funny / weird looking. They never interested me until I actually got to play with a pair the other day. I now have changed my mind on these 5100's now and wouldn't mind owning one.

My p25 radios:
    APX7000 VHF/UHF1
    XTS4000 UHF1
    XTS2500 7/800

I had a pair of XTS5000 in VHF and UHF, but sold them after I got the APX.

Both the UHF and VHF XTS5000's sold on eBay for $1500 and $1250! Paid for the APX7000 with some spare change. I removed the UCM's from both radios and sold them as a matching pair for $300.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 584 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    THIS is exactly the type of bull**** we want to dispel on this site!! The fact is that there is NO TYPE ACCEPTANCE for the ham bands! In fact it's the ONLY radio service you are allowed to build and operate your own designed transmitter if you like. There are only guidelines set by the FCC that suggest that good amateur practice should be AT LEAST as good as current commercial technology. So it's quite the opposite of what those other idiots are claiming - if it's type accepted for ANY other radio service it's "good enough" for amateur use.

P.S. Once narrow-banding goes into effect, it goes even further - hams will be able to operate crap that won't play anywhere else...
    Last edited by Alpha; Feb 15, 2012 at 02:09 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
    My XTS5000 does 380-470. I don't know about yours. Lol. I owned a Kenwood TM-D700 and it was the worst radio ever. Intermod on both 2 and 70 in a fairly quiet rf environment. I couldn't imagine how poorly it would work in a metropolis like LA.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt
    Did I say I was running an XTS5000? Nooooo. You were ASSuming I was referring to an ASTRO25 series radio.

But yes, ASTRO25 series portables, and the APX, do 380-470. And since I've never used 300 MHz frequencies as I'm not licensed to transmit there, I've never programmed down that low. Guess I forgot!

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

I've got 2 VHF Quantars running in the local area.

One site is standalone and the other site is linked via v.24 board to a UHF Quantar which sits on the reverse pair of another Quantar about 50 miles away. Ghetto fab linking.

Main radio is a v/u APX7000.

Sometimes tagging along is a VHF XTS4000 or a VHF XTS3500.

In the vehicle it's an O5 VHF XTL5000 with siren/pa/VRS and an O3 UHF XTL5000.

The kitchen and garage have W7 Astro Spectras.

Thanks

LOL love how the kitchen gets a radio, too. Bet wifey loves that! Or maybe it's her radio?

Gotta program it up for One-touch phone patch dialing:

1 - Pizza
    2 - Chinese
    3 - Sushi
    4 - ?
    5 - Profit

It could be done...

Thanks

We used to use the MDC Status / Message function for that! The old Systems Sabers used to violate the Rainbow C1 Prime Specification (the master MDC spec) and would display status and mesages. These were later re-defined to be communications between subscriber and console, and the other portables from Astro Saber on would not decode them, only console products would.

But back in the Day we had messages like:

1. Yes
    2. No
    3. Maybe
    4. Lunch?
    5. Beer Run
    6. Screw Him
    ...etc...

At home, I have an Astro Spectra Consolette in the living Room with 3 desksets throughout the house using a junction box and CAT-5 cable to hook them up. I have an RCH3000 by my easy chair, and an MC3000 on my workbench. I run a Quantar locally about 15 miles from my house on UHF 70cm, and there are many systems nearby that are running APCO digital near here, several D-STAR systems and two TRBO systems.
    Last edited by Alpha; Feb 16, 2012 at 11:22 PM.

Thanks

Hah, hah, Alpha. Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun.

We have also messed around with the User-Definable (Soft-ID) tags, but not so much anymore. "LOW BATT" "FATALERR" "FAT ASS" etc.

Hey, if any Moto engineers or code monkeys ever read this thread, could you do us a huge favor? Please!

Have the Radio ID and Soft ID alternate every every 500-1000ms or so. That way we can still see the RID, which is useful for paging/calling applications, and ID of who is talking.

The last part about being able to see RID is quite useful. We run several Quantars, linked up. VHF, UHF and 900 MHz. VHF users are assigned RIDs in the 1000 range, UHF 4000 and 900 is 9000. When we can see the RID, we know which repeater they're coming in from. Current firmware is a bitch, so we had to give up Soft ID, which was useful for callsign ID.

Oh, and while you're at it, please write Soft ID decode into the ASTRO25 (and APX? haven't tested) mobile firmware. Thanks, I hope.

Thanks

Yes we did! I think my friend came up with one of the best: "FAIL 001" for a soft ID, I really freaked out for a second! :P

I did not know the mobiles didn't decode soft ID's! I assumed because the Astro Spectras did it the newer ones did as well. That's a pity.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Alpha For This Useful Post:

RFI-EMI-GUY (Sep 06, 2016)

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Radio in the kitchen seldom gets turned on due to a noisy fan in the consolette. Gotta change that out at some point.

For a while my Soft ID was all spaces. On a receiving astro spectra, the display will blank making the user think their display has gone bad.

These days I've been running dstarsux.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

deejay No Longer Registered

HI Guys,
    Where are all of you located? We should post up a p25 repeater list.. I am in Austin and we have 3 VHF and 1 UHF mixed mode repeaters.. My p25 equipment collection currently consists of:
    VHF&UHF XTS4000
    VHF XTS5000R
    UHF XTS3000R
    UHF XTS2500i
    900 XTS2500
    VHF&UHF ASTRO Saber IIR
    VHF ASTRO Saber I's & III's
    UHF ASTRO Saber I's
    VHF ASTRO Spectra W9 High power w/VRS in shack and mobile
    UHF ASTRO Spectra W3 High power
    UHF ASTRO Spectra W4 Mid power
    VHF ASTRO Spectra W7's
    VHF ASTRO Spectra W3
    VHF/UHF EFJ 5100's and 51SL's Model 3
    UHF 5100 ES Model 1 (AN/PRC ?? MIL Radio)
    VHF ASTRO Spectra Consolette W7 that I really like..
    and I think that covers it..

About the people thinking it's illegal for P25 or commercial gear on ham bands.. there are some guys in this area who tried to say that and it even caused a jamming war when they turned the 146.94 (main repeater for the area) mixed mode.. I have to say I was one of the first on p25 and lots of the locals didn't understand/like it at all.. We have a pretty large number of hams with p25 gear here in the Austin area.. There are also p25 repeaters that I know of in Midland and Dallas/Ft. Worth..

Thanks

I wish I had other P25 compatible Ham's near me or a P25 machine... I live in a small town and am the only ham, no local repeater so P25 might be overkill...haha

That being said, when the RCMP switch off analog and over to Astro this Summer, maybe they won't go all the way to having encryption like all the other detachments in BC have done (go to full time encryption when they go to digital) and I'll at least be able to do some P25 listening...

Jen

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deejay View Post
    HI Guys,
    Where are all of you located? We should post up a p25 repeater list.. I am in Austin and we have 3 VHF and 1 UHF mixed mode repeaters.. My p25 equipment collection currently consists of:
    VHF&UHF XTS4000
    VHF XTS5000R
    UHF XTS3000R
    UHF XTS2500i
    900 XTS2500
    VHF&UHF ASTRO Saber IIR
    VHF ASTRO Saber I's & III's
    UHF ASTRO Saber I's
    VHF ASTRO Spectra W9 High power w/VRS in shack and mobile
    UHF ASTRO Spectra W3 High power
    UHF ASTRO Spectra W4 Mid power
    VHF ASTRO Spectra W7's
    VHF ASTRO Spectra W3
    VHF/UHF EFJ 5100's and 51SL's Model 3
    UHF 5100 ES Model 1 (AN/PRC ?? MIL Radio)
    VHF ASTRO Spectra Consolette W7 that I really like..
    and I think that covers it..

About the people thinking it's illegal for P25 or commercial gear on ham bands.. there are some guys in this area who tried to say that and it even caused a jamming war when they turned the 146.94 (main repeater for the area) mixed mode.. I have to say I was one of the first on p25 and lots of the locals didn't understand/like it at all.. We have a pretty large number of hams with p25 gear here in the Austin area.. There are also p25 repeaters that I know of in Midland and Dallas/Ft. Worth..
    Do you know the particulars of the P25 machines in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area? I travel down there from time to time and need to program them up in my radios.