Thread: ASTRO Spectra "Monitor Type"

Thanks

Default ASTRO Spectra "Monitor Type"

Hi Guys,

I want to use the monitor type to "open squelch" as opposed to "silent" on my ASTRO Spectra - but the option just does not seem to be available anywhere. Its there on the XTS3000/ASTRO Saber so what gives!?

Cheers,
    Matt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 579 Posts

I don't think it applies to mobiles - the portables have a "MON" button and this defines that behavior. Mobiles that use a "MON" button, it works differently as it toggles what the portables would call "silent monitor" (PL defeat, actually) on/off. A long press on the portables latches open the squelch, whereas a long press on the mobiles sets the global radio squelch level, so you see their functions are completely different portable vs. mobile.

Thanks

Hi Alpha,

Yes I can see that - my question is, how does one configure a button on the mobiles to open the squelch?

Cheers,
    Matt

Thanks

There really isn't a "open squelch" type monitor. The "monitor" functions in a mobile are just to defeat PL. You might set up a CSQ mode (or have "MON ON") then you can force the global squelch down to 0 for a moment to open up the audio. That's a cheesy solution, though there really isn't a one-touch method to do it on mobiles.

Thanks

Yuck. Motorola have really ****ed the dog on this one.

Perfectly usable function on a portable - yet it somehow isn't relevant on a mobile. How the hell does that work?

Is the same usage scenario regarding monitoring been eliminated simply because someone has sat inside a vehicle...?

What manner of stupidity is this?

Cheers,
    Matt

Thanks

The "monitor" function of the mobiles was meant for old community repeater systems with bus and garbage on the same repeater with different PL's, for instance. The idea was the PL would be on while the mic was in hangup, then when you went to talk, it would go to "monitor" the channel with no PL before you talked over someone you couldn't hear with a different PL. It's the talkies that are screwed up, actually They call a "open squelch" function "monitor"!

Heh, see what I did there? It's not a bug, it's a FEATURE! :P

Thanks

In my experience with radios the issue probably goes back to the early days where mobiles outnumbered portables. An open squelch would usually result in the radio comming to the repair shop. It was believed that the full size antenna and open area (roads etc) would always have enough signal that it would not be nessesary to recieve noise level signals. When portables started becomming as common place as mobiles the portable with its less efficient antenna and poor locations (buildings and on a belt) would often require the ability to recieve signals that dipped below the noise floor.