Thread: Moving a model 2 case from a 7/800 5100ES to a 380 5100ES

Thanks

Default Moving a model 2 case from a 7/800 5100ES to a 380 5100ES

Hey everyone, looking to transfer a case housing from a 7/800 to a 380 radio. Not sure about trying to program the 380 to the 7/800 once its changed over?! I transferred the case over and when I powered it on it displayed all of the 800Mhz info. Im assuming its because the radio stores the info in the board attached to the case. Correct me if Im wrong.

So the question for all of you is, can I just shoot the programming to the radio once I move the case over and wipe out the 800 garbage? I was looking at the band change section but it doesn't allow the change to 380 from 7/800 and I don't want to permanently brick one or both radios.

The reason for the change is the RF is shot in the 7/800 radio and the 380 is a model 1 radio. Could fix the 7/800 and have a nice radio but I can't swallow the cost when I paid basically nothing for it.

If it can't be done I guess I will see about fixing the 7/800 radio and leave it all alone.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!! Way more familiar with the big M but I have had EFJ since pre 5100 series radios.

Thanks again!!

XPR8300 No Longer Registered

No. You need to remove all of the electronics and keep it with its original band. Just transfer the plastics.

Thanks

Thanks "XPR8300" for the response! If I change over all of the electronics from the 380 radio I would have a model 2 case with a model 1 board and no display. They don't put all of the parts or connectors needed to transfer the display to a model 1 board. I would actually have to soldier parts and connectors onto the model 1 board in order to install the display. Or maybe I'm not understanding exactly what you mean?!

Thanks again for your response!!!

XPR8300 No Longer Registered

You will not be able to do what you want to do. You will need the electronics from the same band and model you wish to end up with to go into the source radio. There are no public tools to reflash a controller.

Thanks

Save all tuning data, Swap rf boards, find pc tune, and change bands on radio. reup old tuning data, configure new codeplug. I just did it and it works like a champ. Model 1 uhf 380 to a model 3 700/800. When finished Model 3 uhf 380. No problems, can hit a repeater 26 miles away. Both 5100es. Wasn't difficult at all.

Thanks

Be very careful when pulling the housing off and re seating it. You can wreck the flex pins. I almost killed one that way. Make sure everything is aligned.

edit:

just noticed this thread is old as ****
    RAS .......... Retard Avoidance System.