Thread: XTS3000 Boot issue

safe No Longer Registered

Default XTS3000 Boot issue

So I've recently dealt with a fleet of used 3000s and saw problems crop up. Most I'd seen and fixed... This one has me worried though. I looked for the symptoms in the service manual to no avail. I searched here and there but found no posts.

XTS3000 III UHF R1, HOST 7.00 DSP 7.03
    Worked fine, great unit.

Swap UCM using the same technique that has worked for me many times.
    Reassemble.
    Radio now has boot issues listed below.
    Assumed it was UCM related.
    Check seating of UCM, it's fine.
    Pull UCM, check compression connectors, flexes, reassemble.

On powerup, the unit flashes the all-segment display test then goes blank.
    The top green LED lights for ~25 seconds then extinguishes.
    No audio, no display, no TX indication, no service mode.

I CAN read and write with CPS. The Radio information screen shows HOST 07.00.xx and DSP 00.00.00.

Anyone seen this? Worried that the Vocoder might be toast if it can't see the DSP ver...
    Last edited by safe; Jul 31, 2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: "bleow" isn't a real word.

Thanks

If this is the fleet Im thinking of, one of the documentary guys had a unit that liked to say Fail 09/10 (ucm not talking IIRC). Were there units with missing UCMs?

Thanks

Sounds like its not talking to the dsp, or the dsp isn't booting correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by kayfox View Post
    If this is the fleet Im thinking of, one of the documentary guys had a unit that liked to say Fail 09/10 (ucm not talking IIRC). Were there units with missing UCMs?
    There were a handful that had no UCM, that one must not have had Sec Equip unchecked.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Sounds like its not talking to the dsp, or the dsp isn't booting correctly.
    I guess I'm surprised that the display stays blank if it is just a DSP problem.

If that is the case, I wonder what would help it... HOST/DSP refresh? Reflow the vocoder board?(perhaps too much pressure on UCM install popped a solder connection?)

Thinking of swapping another vocoder in (DSP8.xx is all I have on hand.) I don't know if I want to risk screwing up another...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 570 Posts

It's definitely the DSP is broken on the vocoder board. There may be no fixing the unit other than reflowing the solder on the DSP chip or outright replacing it. I have a couple of Astro Saber vocons that have the same exact problem - they died during attempts to reflash them, so they either come up with FAIL 02/82 (IIRC?) or DSP version 0.00.00 like you saw. Even the labbiest of labtools won't fix them the hardware is just plain bad. The delay in coming up is a timeout situation where the host processor waits for the DSP and eventually gives up with an error.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,774 Times in 1,707 Posts

Compression connectors. They'll get you every time. If the DSP is coming up as R00.00.00, the DSP isn't booting. The DSP board (the square board beneath the UCM) is connected to the controller via the compression connector. If the pins are bent or it's not seated correctly, it'll fail.

P.S. The original host/dsp combo you listed is too old to support the UCM I sold you. They require R07.08.00 (host) or newer.

See my post here for more information.

Cheers

Solved.

Holy hell I checked it all... board swaps galore: Vocoder, Controller, compressions, cleaning. Narrowed it to the Controller. Same results every time, if the symptomatic Controller board was in a radio it produced the symptoms. I muttered under my breath.

Then I realized that I had always taken the whole Controller with Display and popple/shield on top.

I swapped just the Display and... it worked. A little cleaning of both sides of the contact surfaces, and inspection of the flex and the original components are all working happily together.

You are quite right on suspicion of mechanical mating surfaces Mars. But I guess I don't understand WHY one would need the Display to boot to get the DSP to boot. Just the order of operations maybe and it errors out and stops on the display?

P.S. - Mars, unrelated UCM issue. We had 7.71 in almost every unit. This one is a bastard though.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,774 Times in 1,707 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by safe View Post
    You are quite right on suspicion of mechanical mating surfaces Mars. But I guess I don't understand WHY one would need the Display to boot to get the DSP to boot. Just the order of operations maybe and it errors out and stops on the display?
    The 3000 will boot without a display, no problem. Otherwise Model Is wouldn't work

I suspect it was a mechanical/pressure issue, relating to the controller. The display flex-fastener holds down the controller board, as does the keypad button flex, and the 4 clips which "clamp down" the keypad assembly, on top of the vocoder (DSP) and UCM boards.

I've had issues with the 3000 in the past, too. Sometimes it's just a bastard. ALWAYS blame it on mechanical issues. That said, the 3000 is still a very reliable radio. Much more than say the XTS2500 and its unreliable flex connectors.

I'm really glad to hear you got this sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    The 3000 will boot without a display, no problem. Otherwise Model Is wouldn't work
    Gotcha. Your logic is impeccable, sir.

This really does reinforce cleaning and checking of physical alignment. This was a unit that had not been open on my bench before, and likely not more than a couple of other times, and still had a problem.