Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hamvention - May 15-17 2015, Dayton, OH.

Thanks

Some guy just walked past my booth with a cat in a stroller...

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to K5FPP For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (May 16, 2015),box (May 17, 2015),bsdam (May 16, 2015),Mars (May 16, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 535 Posts

He's the one with the Jet-Pack radios and Pew-Pew lasers, right?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alpha For This Useful Post:

bsdam (May 16, 2015),Mars (May 16, 2015),mobios (May 16, 2015)

Thanks

As seen this yearClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	8024

Thanks
    Thanked 5,302 Times in 1,573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by radioinstl View Post
    As seen this yearClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	8024
    What's with all the stars?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Workers from the former USSR are doing the work.
    Common sense is Uncommon.
    You can't fix stupid, but eventually it takes care of itself.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    It's like they are holding out on a sponsorship....

Thanks

Some scumbag stole an APX off a vendor's table on Saturday. I don't have model and serial number information for it, but it was taken off John Panik's table. (Big white box truck, lots of junk in front of it.)
    Panik was only there on Saturday.

There is a reward for the return of the radio.

Motorola's serial number database will indicate a radio that was delivered to an agency in Indiana,
    which one, I don't know at the moment. I'll update this with that information when I have it.

Got any leads? Call 321-253-0889 and leave a message or talk to John.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maxwell Nyquist For This Useful Post:

duggerd (May 17, 2015),K5FPP (May 17, 2015),Mars (May 17, 2015)

Thanks

I thought Panik was calling it quits last year.

Thanks

Maybe he said that, but obviously he didn't do it.

Thanks

I seen rescue randy walking around. Has a punch down tool in one pouch. What a douche !

14. The Following User Says Thank You to medic550 For This Useful Post:

Mars (May 18, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell Nyquist View Post
    Some scumbag stole an APX off a vendor's table on Saturday. I don't have model and serial number information for it, but it was taken off John Panik's table. (Big white box truck, lots of junk in front of it.)
    Panik was only there on Saturday.

There is a reward for the return of the radio.
    While it's certainly wrong to steal a radio off anyone's table, there's a word for this. KARMA. GARY

16. The Following User Says Thank You to N4KVE For This Useful Post:

Firecpt809 (May 18, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell Nyquist View Post
    Maybe he said that, but obviously he didn't do it.
    He says that every year, I've know John for over 20 years and he always complains about how much it costs to go to Dayton etc,etc. Any idea what was taken mobile or portable? Sounds strange he would have a current radio considering all the junk he brings.

Thanks

APX portable. Don't have more info on it yet.

Thanks

I don't know if I would call all of his stuff junk, he brings a lot of good stuff and is a pretty good guy to deal with. I bought about 10 new in box astro spectra W4 VHF units from him about 4 years ago at Dayton for $125.00 each. Ive never had anything go back to him, he's always straight up with us about something being parts, error codes, or working.

And besides, how many of us here have a room full of junk radios, and a APX or two sitting on our desks?
    Ice Bank Mice Elf Often

" I didn't get where I am today, by worrying about how I'd feel tomorrow" - Ron White

"Knowledge, without experience, is just information" - Mark Twain

20. The Following User Says Thank You to EAMI For This Useful Post:

AD0JA (Aug 01, 2016)

Thanks

At Orlando a few years ago he had a box of UHF "R" full keypad Jedi radios with NASA stickers next to the ser # tag. He swore they were all good, but had no battery to test them. But I did, & after testing about 10 radios, they all had the dreaded "pixel" problem. I was ready to test the other 30 or so, looking for 1 good one, when he finally admitted, "they were all bad". He would have screwed me had I not had that good battery. My heart bleeds cold borscht for his loss. GARY

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by N4KVE View Post
    At Orlando a few years ago he had a box of UHF "R" full keypad Jedi radios with NASA stickers next to the ser # tag. He swore they were all good, but had no battery to test them. But I did, & after testing about 10 radios, they all had the dreaded "pixel" problem. I was ready to test the other 30 or so, looking for 1 good one, when he finally admitted, "they were all bad". He would have screwed me had I not had that good battery. My heart bleeds cold borscht for his loss. GARY
    Yea, I went through the same box at Dayton, bought 10 then tested them and found 1 good one. Another friend went through all the ones he just bought and found most were also bad. He did make good on them, but I always have been a little wary of him. You have to be careful and not totally take him at his word, and always bring a good battery for testing whatever you are looking at.

Thanks

After I gave up testing these radios, he said he just sold a few. Realizing the guy would be back after testing them, he closed up his truck, & drove away, to not have to deal with the refund. How sad. GARY

Thanks

He usually has some fairly modern stuff but most of it sells long before he gets to the hamfest.

I fixed a lot of those jedis with the display issues. Motorola was fixing them for free for a while, but something tells me that they probably don't do that anymore.

You should see the inside of his warehouse. Absolutely terrifying. And for reasons unknown to me, he won't give pricing on stuff you ask about, or he prices it at crazy levels, and he is virtually hoarding useless junk that'll never be worth what he paid for it. He seems to have a problem comprehending the simple truth that technology is not an investment for the future. This stuff will be worth LESS in the future, and won't appreciate in value. With few exceptions. Sure, some stuff is so old it now has collector's value, but was it worth it to hang onto an HT220 for 30 years just to get 50 bucks for it today, a valuation it last saw in the early 80s?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxwell Nyquist For This Useful Post:

Mars (May 18, 2015)

Thanks

Panik is a POS in my book. i went round and round with him about getting a price on a part a customer needed in a bad way and he swore up and down he had it and when I told him needed a price to give to my customer he got all snippy about how much I was going to mark it up and I should give the customer his name and number to deal with directly. I promptly told him where to put his part and I would rather pay more than to have to deal with his BS

Thanks

Yeah, he can be really weird about that stuff. I can't and won't apologize for him, but he really has some strange ideas about how to sell stuff, that's for sure. I've never met anyone who is more reluctant to set a price and sell the stuff that he got for the specific purpose of selling it and making some money.

He seems to be afraid to get anything LESS than "all the market will bear" even if he doesn't know how much that is, has overdue bills to pay, and customers standing in front of him with cash in hand and documentation proving that they can buy the same item somewhere else for the same price they're offering him. I've seen it myself. So rather than risk NOT making max profit, he'll sit on it while it becomes less valuable with every passing day, eventually to be scrapped when he's hung onto it 10 years too long and there isn't any market for it AT ALL anymore.

He's an odd duck. But if you're one of his friends, he'll give you the shirt off his back. He does have his positive attributes, and sometimes, he's the only source for something you are looking for.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123