Thread: IWCE, March 16-20 2015, Las Vegas, NV.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,649 Times in 1,896 Posts

Default IWCE, March 16-20 2015, Las Vegas, NV.

http://www.iwceexpo.com/iwce2015/public/enter.aspx

International Wireless Communications Expo. Held at the Las Vegas Convention Center. March 15-20.

This is where the big players in the commercial industry roll out their latest offerings. Would love to go, but airlines are ripping people off due to spring break pricing.

Thanks

I register every year to stay on all of the mailing lists that seem to share details from the registrations. A slight intentional error in the registration is the tip off to where they got the info. Back in the "old days" it used to rotate around Orlando, Dallas, Denver, Anaheim and Vegas. Haven't been there for about 4 years now, last time was the first year /\/\ had their event at the Aria when it first opened. Great hotel. Not certain about this year....
    Rich

Thanks

I should be there

Thanks

I'll be there... Flights were $130 each way out of Boise...

Mardi Gras motel is $40/night just down the street from the convention center.

Thanks

The Mardi Gras is a dump. You get what you pay for. Sure is within walking distance but I will never stay there!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,649 Times in 1,896 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by n3pi View Post
    The Mardi Gras is a dump. You get what you pay for. Sure is within walking distance but I will never stay there!!
    Bedbugs and hookers?

Thanks

hookers with ALL kinds of bugs!

Thanks

Any guesses on new product launches? VoLTE?

Thanks

Mother M will be at the Aria again this year. Maybe the top-secret APX8000 will be the new release at both shows???? See you in Vegas!

triptolemus is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 683 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by K6LOR View Post
    Mardi Gras motel is $40/night just down the street from the convention center.
    Don't walk around that area after dark...There's a reason that sh|thole is $40. There's crap all around it, unless you're looking for hookers and blow.

If budget is really a concern for you, stay off the strip at a joint like Sam's Town ($44/night) or Boulder Station ($41) and use public transportation, taxis, or the hotel shuttle to get down to the convention center. Either of these two hotels offer more dining, gaming and entertainment options than anything around the Mardi Gras.

If you insist on being on or near the strip, choose one of the other budget properties like Excalibur ($55) or Luxor ($74).

Just because its called Mardi Gras doesn't mean it's a party.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to triptolemus For This Useful Post:

Mars (Jan 23, 2015)

Thanks

Usually Mardi Gras brings images of flashing for beads (females) and urinating in the streets and alleys (males). I'm going with that's not the case in Vegas at THAT Mardi Gras?

Thanks

Searching for a new hotel... Thanks guys

Thanks

I've been there the past 10 years or so, will be again this year, as far as I know. I go for work, so we always stay at the Strip hotels. Probably at the Vdara again this year...real nice spot. Party mostly in New York, New York though

Thanks

Thoughts on the Hilton at the convention center? Looks like about a hundred a night with no resort fees immediately next to the convention.

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

You could do worse.

Just know that the whole area between LV Blvd and the Hilton is somewhat sketchy. The neighborhoods the north end of the Strip east and west are bad news.

If your plan is go to back and forth between the hotel and convention center, you will be fine there. If you choose to venture to the strip, I would recommend taking a taxi in a southerly direction on the strip.

Thanks

So basically don't stay near the convention center because the neighborhood is scary? Much rather spend some extra $$ and not have to worry about where we're staying at or taking something undesirable back home...

Would prefer to avoid getting a rental car while we're down there.

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

In that case, check rates at Bally's, Treasure Island, and maybe Mirage and The Rio. These properties are a short cab ride from the convention center and offer you the opportunity to walk and do some sightseeing in the evenings.

Also check out the LV Monorail... This can expand your hotel search further down the strip as it provides easy transport to the convention center from a dozen or so stops along the strip. Look at Luxor, Excaliber, or maybe even MGM.

You've already discovered the "resort fee" -- welcome to the new Vegas...

Scary (your word) is a relative term. Those areas I mentioned in my previous post are known for street level crimes, dope, and prostitution. It's not all bad, just that a heightened level of awareness is those areas after dark is prudent.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by K6LOR View Post
    Thoughts on the Hilton at the convention center? Looks like about a hundred a night with no resort fees immediately next to the convention.
    Must have been a while- It's changed hands twice since Hilton: LVH and then now Westgate Resorts. It has the benefit of being attached to the Convention Center, and that's about it.

Thanks

I am looking forward to attending again this year. This should be fun - St Patrick's Day right in the middle.

Also looking forward to checking out the new Metro PD Phase II system.

I would definitely recommend spending the money to stay somewhere a little safer. It really makes things more enjoyable when you can wander directly (or semi-directly) onto the strip at night without having to watch your back. Especially if you are thinking about bringing some cash for gambling.. Or perhaps enjoying a few drinks. No need to worry.

Another reasonable place to check on the main strip is Monte Carlo. Usually you can get some deals here, and it's conveniently located. I have also had some deals at NYNY. (Late night NYNY Sirrico's pizza is a MUST after a few beers...)

Cheers,
    SD.

Thanks

Hotel room is booked at the Aria and Caesar's has a seat warmer ready to go at a $25 blackjack table

Holla

Thanks

Rebooked at the Embassy Suites by the convention center...

Thanks

Help keep Nevada green...bring money

24. The Following User Says Thank You to bellyacher For This Useful Post:

K6LOR (Feb 02, 2015)

Thanks

Any test equipment manufacturers going to be at IWCE? Looking specifically for WiFi spectrum analyzers for a work project, still working on an angle to get work to comp some of the trip

Thanks

You may want to check out their Exhibitor List... http://www.iwceexpo.com/iwce2015/pub...MenuID=1057612