Thread: APX 7000 Hardware Based ADP part number

Thanks

Default APX 7000 Hardware Based ADP part number

Does anyone here know the part number to order a PCMCIA encryption algorithm card for hardware based ADP for APX7000's?

Thanks

Thanks

AFAIK its not available. All APX7000's that are configured for customer use should have it, others may be SOL. There is a chance that adding another algo would enable ADP but not sure.

Thanks

Thanks Radio Crazy. But I'm looking for the card to add the algorithm to the MACE inside the radio. From first looks at part number: CA00244AA I'm thinking that is to load the KVL with the ADP algorithm.

Our KVL3000+ already has ADP loaded in it and the keys have been created and work just fine with my XTL5000. As my XTL5000 has a hardware based ADP UCM module, along with a few other algos in it.

Thanks

OK, this crazy now. I just got of the phone with Moto and they said the same thing you did Magnus. However I happen to have 10 brand new APX's ordered by one of our county agencies it has 3 KG algos. They are KG1: ADP, KG2: DES-OFB, KG3: DES-XL.

I looked on the box they came in and there is a part number to have DES-OBF/XL added to it but not one for ADP support.

So WTF Motorola.

Thanks

Right, in the APX line hardware ADP is included with the radio. Call them and tell them you had ADP but you were adding algo's and accidentally hit the "erase algo" soft key on the kvl and erased ADP. I'm not sure how many questions they would ask but, it IS possible to delete ADP while adding other algo's.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,931 Times in 1,469 Posts

If you can get away with just ADP operation (assuming the radio(s) in question do not need DES-OFB/DES-XL), you can use "Advanced Digital Privacy" in the Secure Operation pulldown menu in APX CPS. The selection is between Hardware Encryption or ADP (software).

ADP (software operation) comes as a standard feature with APX7000.

In lower-tier APX radios, ADP can be ordered as a flash option. It is represented by a weight of 5, in position 6. so xxxxxx-Gxxxxx-x

Thanks

That is not an option for us, as we use DES for our talkgroups. But some other agencies are using software based ADP with Unique CKR numbers assigned to them. And we need to be able to talk to our guys on DES and them on ADP, should that need arise. The guy from Moto told me he was going to call me back Monday and tell me what he gets out of the APX product group. Which will probably be nothing.

I'll resort to that accidently deleting of ADP if I have to, but it sounds more and more like I'll have to do that.

Thanks

What a bunch of crap. And Moto wonders why people are "hacking" (more like spending lots of time/effort/money/resources) their high-tier products. If they would play nice, there would be no demand.

Thanks

The problem is that legit APX7000's ALL come with hardware ADP. The only ones I've seen without it did not come through the customization process, ie ALT or pre-production samples and demo's.
    Last edited by Magnus; Aug 10, 2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: grammar

Thanks

Ya these are legit APX's that belong to the city. So I don't know why these came without it. I'll keep this thread updated with Moto's findings if there are any.

Thanks

Well that's odd, then I would definitely bitch about it, this is from ECAT

** All APX7000 Portable Radios ship standard with ADP Privacy - ships standard with Single Key.

Thanks

Well after a week of calls back and forth to Moto. They finally understand that ADP is not listed as a KG algo, which in short means no hardware encryption. No ****, hence my calling you guys in the first place. Yesterday I was told that since our radios have a serial number of CKR , ironic right, they were made in 2010. Apparently back then it was not standard to give away hardware based ADP, since we only specified DES that's what we got. It was also not standard to give away the Software Based System Key flash option, or perhaps it just didn't exist back then.

So now the best part. There is no PCMCIA ADP upgrade card for an APX radio. I guess in Moto's mind they thought since the later manufactured radios ship standard with the option in them then there would be no need for an upgrade card. But what about now geniuses? So I'm just hanging around waiting for the next bright idea. But, I would wager that all of our APX's will have to be sent back to the depot and be reflashed or something along that line. That means we'll have to carry the old XTS5000's again. Oh joy.

I'll keep this updated as more bright ideas, from Moto come along.

Thanks

OK. So my boss hands me a PCMCIA card and on it the model number is: CA00840AK. But once I call SSC and validate the card I'm now able to look at the algos on the card. In there it says ADP. So I shoot my radio with it and low and behold there is KG3: ADP

WTF Motorola, I was talking to the guys in Schamburg trying to figure all this out, which was a waste of my time and theirs. So my boss gets hold of the engineers at Plantation and they send this card. I was told they never made a card for the APX's for hardware ADP but I guess that changed somewhere. Anyways all 10 of our radios now will get hardware based ADP added to them.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to WB4JGI For This Useful Post:

surfacemount (May 26, 2016)

Thanks

And a follow-on to this whole deal... there are a number of ADP keys we have access to. Stu and I added ADP to my APX and I took the KVL and loaded our DES key, then started loading ADP keys. After 8 ADP keys, I get a "TARGET IS OUT OF MEMORY" error (or something like that), and I says WTF? Tried a few things, made sure ASN mode was off on the APX but no joy.

Emailed a contact at Plantation who called me back pretty quick and after a few phone calls, found this out - on APX, software ADP is essentially unlimited keys. Hardware ADP is currently limited to 8 keys, even though the spec sheet says 64 keys in CKR mode with no notes as to algos. Was told that this should be resolved and you should be able to go up to the 64 keys on hardware towards the end of this year with a firmware bump.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kf4lhp View Post
    And a follow-on to this whole deal... there are a number of ADP keys we have access to. Stu and I added ADP to my APX and I took the KVL and loaded our DES key, then started loading ADP keys. After 8 ADP keys, I get a "TARGET IS OUT OF MEMORY" error (or something like that), and I says WTF? Tried a few things, made sure ASN mode was off on the APX but no joy.

Emailed a contact at Plantation who called me back pretty quick and after a few phone calls, found this out - on APX, software ADP is essentially unlimited keys. Hardware ADP is currently limited to 8 keys, even though the spec sheet says 64 keys in CKR mode with no notes as to algos. Was told that this should be resolved and you should be able to go up to the 64 keys on hardware towards the end of this year with a firmware bump.
    That's really strange! I would be interested in learning what is currently causing this limitation. I'm not sure how the secure memory in the MACE is partitioned/structured, but you'd think if anything, a AES-256 key (32-bytes long) would take up more memory, than a 5-byte ADP key?

The APX is still in very early firmware stages. It's only about three years old, and at R08. The ASTRO25 radios came out around 2002-2003, and by 2005 they were probably at about R06. Now they're at R17. (And still somewhat bug-o-matic at times)

Please keep us in the loop with these crypto bugs. I find it all very interesting.

Thanks

It's true, though. I can keep right on loading DES keys, but try to load ADP key number 9 and no luck.

Will keep this thread updated if I get more intel.

Thanks

So FW R09.00.00 is out, and brought with it Secure R01.03.13.

I think I have 12 ADP keys in it now, with no problems.

Thanks

Yup. One of the firmware enhancements:

Abstract: ADP HW Key Capacity expansion for APX MACE
    System Platforms Affected: All
    Special Configurations: Multi-Key Option present
    Description: The encryption software is being updated to increase the number of possible ADP HW encryption keys from 8 to 128, matching the key capacity of other HW algorithms and the ADP SW algorithm. The Multi-Key Option must be present in order to have access to this improvement.