Thread: XTS2500 writing/changing settings and system key info

jlamanske No Longer Registered

Default XTS2500 writing/changing settings and system key info

If I wanted to read then change some settings, ie the soft keys, add a button for clock and some small things like that and add scan lists on an XTS2500 that has a Smartzone Omnilink System programmed into it, can I write back to the radio without the system key?

Thanks

Yes, as long as its not locked with a Advanced key that is write protected.

I am going to take a guess that it probably is. It's programmed for the Indiana state 800 system. I would imagine with a system that large that they wouldn't want someone changing ANYTHING with a radio, even something as mundane as a soft key.

Thanks

There are hard and soft keys used for that system, give it a shot. The worst it will do is say NO

Call me anal, but it drives me slightly nuts to see the clock on my screen with the time wrong and not being able to fix it. LOL.

Neo No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by jlamanske
    I am going to take a guess that it probably is. It's programmed for the Indiana state 800 system. I would imagine with a system that large that they wouldn't want someone changing ANYTHING with a radio, even something as mundane as a soft key.
    Indiana Safe-t system is very liberal at allowing owners to program or reprogram their own radios. The Indiana chapter of the Red Cross wanted access to Safe-T system, so they bought their own used radios and requested access. After some paperwork ( for system key), we were emailed the system key along with RIDs for each radio. We programmed our own radios legally onto the safe-t system with existing TGs - most mutual aid TGs, and State Police. I just wanted statewide mutual aid TG access, and was surprised we were allowed the State PD TG!

The system administrators requested each radios serial number, firmware rev and flashcode. I believe the administrators were more liberal with our group because one volunteer worked at a major radio shop that deals with lots of safe-t radios.

I really wish they had a list of Motorola vendors in each region with the system key. I would love to add more talkgroups to my portable and wouldn't have a problem getting an authorization letter, it's just a matter of finding the time to give the radio up for 2 or 3 days and where to go.

Thanks

PM me your location and I will get you in touch with your local dealers.

So if I had a system key available to me, and wanted to add talkgroups, and was authorized to be on those talkgroups by the agency for which they are assigned, assuming the owner of the radio... ie, a fire department, authorized me to have changes made, would it be inappropriate for me to add them myself?

Thanks

It all depends on the system owner/administrator, most are very particular about who programs the radios that use their system, as they should be with millions of dollars invested in infrastructure, not to mention the whole mission critical factor if you're talking about a system used by a fire dept.?

Admins will usually also want to control which radios are used, what firmware versions, even what menu options are available to certain users!

It doesn't take much to disrupt other users on the system with an incorrectly programmed radio, at best your radio will probably be inhibited, at worst you will disrupt another user who may be in a life threatening situation?

Also they will need to assign your radio a unique Unit ID which will need to be programmed into the radio and activated on the system or you won't be able to affiliate, DO NOT EVER use another radio's ID, your radio will boot the other off the site and most likely the conflict will result in both radios being inhibited until they can figure out the problem?

In short, if you are authorized to put your radio on someone else's system, do everyone a favor and drop it off to their nominated radio shop/tech!
    Andrew

Well the radio is authorized on the system. It's really only one system in our area. So adding talk groups would be a minimal process.

Thanks

If your dept has the key, i don't think it would be an issue as long as you are careful. This system has tons of radio programmed by the customers on it. Its easier for them to get a key than it is for the MSS.