Thread: Motorola Depot fees?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,774 Times in 1,707 Posts

Default Motorola Depot fees?

Anyone have a negative experience with Motorola and their "repair" fees before?

I sent them a TAGGED XTL5000 O5 for repair. The radio had issues which I've been unable to correct, due to my inability to continue servicing it as parts which needed replacement were not available for order on MOL. (P/N's in service manual come up as negative on MOL)

At first, I was told $620 for flat-rate repair. OK, that's biting the pillow, but I was prepared to pay.

Today I get notification of "suspected water damage", and the cost is now $2212 to repair.

Yeah right. Morons. What they suspected as water damage is miniscule traces of flux remover left behind (by me) on the mainboard. I guess they forgot flux remover doesn't cause corrosion, but water does. I guarantee there's no water damage on the XTL mainboard.

I've since told them to abandon the repair and keep the radio. Shipping it back would be a waste of return shipping charges.

Has Moto not looked on eBay at prices for TAGGED, used, XTL5000s? They're less than half of what they want to repair this thing. Unbelievable.

The XTL has the worst design ever, in terms of being repairable. It's all one board. Nothing is modularized or swappable, to make troubleshooting easier or servicing less expensive. Something fails, and you need a whole new radio.

Moto, you're not getting $2212 today. KMA 10-4

Thanks

Motorola has had a LOT of suspected water damage lately. We have found that arguing with them sometimes will get you radio fixed for the flat rate price. I would ask them for pictures of the damage and a detailed description of how that supposed water damage is causing the failure.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,774 Times in 1,707 Posts

Too late. It's already on the way back, as I refused the repair.

The way I see it, $2212 is not going toward paying a tech's salary for 2-4 weeks. Hopefully they get the hint and stop ripping off their customers.

One always takes their chances on eBay, but if you purchase a 9/10 condition USED radio from a seller with great feedback, for less than half of what Moto wants to "repair" this used radio, how am I losing? Same thing, more money in my pocket, Moto's greed not satisfied.

FU Moto. It's really that simple.