Thread: XTS3000 Low battery on PTT Phenomenon

jlamanske No Longer Registered

Default XTS3000 Low battery on PTT Phenomenon

I have a VHF XTS3000 with a 3500 mah RNN4006AR battery. It has the newest firmware and DSP. I have read about the problem with the XTS3000, older firmware, and IMPRES batteries. However, this radio will show low battery on PTT sometimes. I have the wideband VHF antenna on it, and I have read somewhere this may be an issue also. If I hold my hand at the base of the antenna, or top of the radio, I can reproduce the low battery alert on PTT quite consistently, but if I remove my hand from this area it is rather hit and miss as to when/if it will happen. I have another antenna/ a more narrowband 150-162 heliflex on the way, and am wondering if this will solve the problem. I have also tried the tape over center battery contact pin trick that was recommended in the SRN below.
    SERVICE AND REPAIR NOTES
    Bulletin
    TECHNICAL INFORMATION /COMMERCIAL, GOVERNMENT & INDUSTRIAL SOLUTIONS SECTOR
    If applicable, enter this information or note this bulletin number and subject material in the appropriate equipment instruction manuals and
    make necessary schematic diagram changes. Enter this bulletin in the correct MASTER and CLASSIFIED INDICES for future reference.
    Labor and/or parts warranty reference is limited to products sold and in use in the United States. For products sold
    and in use Internationally, this bulletin is for informational purposes only. Radios that are Agency Approved must
    follow designated agency guidelines.
    SRN-ISO
    This SRN supersedes SRN1463 SRN - 1463A
    APC - 326, 620
    August 2004
    Informational Only
    Distribution: Service: MOL: Two Way Portable
    Subject: XTS3000 PREMATURE LOW BATTERY ALERT/ DISTORTED OR NO TX AUDIO
    Symptoms:
    The XTS3000 units may experience premature low battery alerts and/or distorted TX audio when used with IMPRES “smart”
    battery packs NNTN4435, NNTN4436, NNTN4437, HNN9031, HNN9032, and NTN9862.
    Potential Problem Chargers:
    All XTS3000 with firmware prior to R07.20.00 that uses the IMPRES “smart” batteries NNTN4435, NNTN4436, NNTN4437,
    HNN9031, HNN9032, and NTN9862.
    Cause:
    This is due to stray or parasitic capacitance on the center data pin of the IMPRES battery packs. This capacitance can cause an
    oscillating condition on the data pin, which can make the radio misinterpret and indecisive about what battery pack type is
    connected to the radio. The radio software may revert to clamshell battery defaults, which is a higher low-battery alert
    indication threshold and low-power output. Premature low-battery alert indication will be the result, even though full capacity
    of the battery is available.
    Also, if the parasitic oscillation frequency falls within the audio bandwidth, this may modulate the transmitted signal and will
    be demodulated by the receiving unit as undesired audio noise.
    Corrective Action:
    Option 1 - Use of Battery Insulator kit RLN5649A. The kit includes battery contact insulators and instructions on how to
    apply them to the battery center contact. Kits are available at no charge. Contact AAD @ (800)422-4210 for availability.
    Option 2 - Upgrade software with enhanced Clamshell detection software (version R07.20.00 or greater). Please contact
    Subscriber Support Team @ 800-927-2744 to obtain information to obtain the upgrade kit.
    Informational Only. No Labor or Warranty Implied or Intended.

Anyone have any further suggestions? The battery will run for many many hours after this condition begins. So I am sure the level is where it should be on the battery. I hate to turn off the low battery alert, because of the limited manner in which the XTS3000 can inform of the battery level.

Thanks

i fixed mine with a small piece of electrical tape on the center pin