Thread: XTS3000, Flash Not Performed - Radio Already Upgraded

MODAT No Longer Registered

Default XTS3000, Flash Not Performed - Radio Already Upgraded

Is there any way around this little beastie? I have an XTS3000 that is flashed with R06.72.00 and configured with the appropriate flash for Astro 25 9600 trunking. I decided I wanted to get rid of the 9600 capability for the time being to be able to utilize other options/capabilities so I changed the FDB appropriately, blew that to the radio, went to upgrade the firmware to R07.71.07, got about as far as bootstrapping the radio when the CPS checked the date code and threw up the "Flash Not Performed - Radio Already Upgraded" error and aborted. Now for the cake topper: the codeplug seems to be buggered up now and the radio won't operate on the Type II system I use anymore, just constantly boops out. So basically if I'm not able to do the firmware bump and get an appropriate codeplug in doing so I have a nice paperweight. Is there any way around this other than out of circuit like perhaps a mod to the CPS to skip the date code check? Any help greatly appreciated.

BTW, using an S-Rib, iButton, and appropriate cvn.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,928 Times in 1,468 Posts

Should upgrade just fine, so long as you're using an appropriate/valid non-9600 codeplug in the radio. I've done exactly what you're trying to do before and did not have a problem.

If all else fails, you can send it to myself or Neo and we have some alternate tools (no chip removal necessary) to get the job done.

Thanks

Make sure you are pointing to the correct firmware file ...last time I saw that I had selected the version I was trying to replace

Quote Originally Posted by jry View Post
    Make sure you are pointing to the correct firmware file ...last time I saw that I had selected the version I was trying to replace
    Made sure of that and still no go. I've even tried configuring the radio for VSELP and writing VSELP firmware to give me a fresh starting point but I still get the same error. Apparently the CPS doesn't want to let me "downgrade" the firmware. Apparently it considers R07.71.07 older or equivalent to R06.72.00.

Thanks

if you have a different I-button you may want to try that . Not sure if the SN and is tracked there if you had previously updated to 7.71.07 using the same button.
    I have gotten around this but I may have had to switch buttons to do so.

Thanks

Wirelessly posted (Droid 2 Global)

I agree, the sn of the ibutton is written into a place in the firmware. Its probably seeing the same button sn and refusing the upgrade.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jry View Post
    if you have a different I-button you may want to try that . Not sure if the SN and is tracked there if you had previously updated to 7.71.07 using the same button.
    I have gotten around this but I may have had to switch buttons to do so.
    Bingo! Perfect advice. This is what I forgot to mention in my reply above. I remember having to switch iButtons.

Sorry to MODAT for my bad info.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Bingo! Perfect advice. This is what I forgot to mention in my reply above. I remember having to switch iButtons.

Sorry to MODAT for my bad info.
    No worries Mars. So does this mean that the iButton I have will not upgrade a said radio more than once, even if it's upgrading from an older version of firmware to a new one? Or is this just not working because it's not a newer version of firmware I'm trying to upgrade to?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MODAT View Post
    No worries Mars. So does this mean that the iButton I have will not upgrade a said radio more than once, even if it's upgrading from an older version of firmware to a new one? Or is this just not working because it's not a newer version of firmware I'm trying to upgrade to?
    You can upgrade to a newer version of firmware, but with the ASTRO line, it will never come out. It's done. Never say never, but it's been 4+ years.

I keep two refresh keys around here. I cycle between them if I run into a situation like you're dealing with now. By the way, you notice the server is faster now?

Neo No Longer Registered

It can not be using the same IButton twice on the same radio. MODAT states he put a VSELP codeplug into the radio and still was unable to upgrade the firmware. I'm guessing the VSELP srec he shoved into the radio didn't have his IButton serial number already imbedded.

I took a 9600 firmware/codeplug with no IButton serial stamp in the codeplug, and was unable to go to 7.71.xx.

The error I get when going from 7.71 to 6.72 or vic versa; "This Radio Requires CVN with 5.1 type HOST, but this CVN file has Non 5.1 type of HOST".

Thumbs up Success!!

First to answer Mars's question things seem like they may indeed be loading faster. As to my problem, I was able to successfully do the upgrade using a different iButton. I dumped the reconfigured non-9600 srec to the radio, initiated the upgrade using a different iButton and bingo! Kudos to jry for the suggestion and thanks to all who helped and were willing to help on this. Neo, the VSELP srec I shoved in the radio was the same original srec from the radio (prior to the 6.72 upgrade and ever hitting this radio with my iButton) that I reconfigured with a VSELP flash. I got the same error when trying to write the VSELP firmware to it. Now when you are getting the errors you're seeing are you using the same iButton and is the 9600 codeplug already in the radio when trying to go to R07.71.xx?

Oh and BTW here's an OT question, is there a way to make the 3000 display aliases on analog trunking IDs? My MTS2000s can do it but I haven't seen an area in the 3000 codeplug to enable it.

Also there was another oddity that I neglected to mention in my last post. The supposed R07.71.07 cvn (CVN6236S) from the firmware section here upgraded my radio to R07.71.06, not .07 . No big deal but I wonder why it didn't take me to the .07 revision?

Thanks

Neo, the SN of the ibutton is in the firmware remember

Question

Oh and BTW here's an OT question, is there a way to make the 3000 display aliases on analog trunking IDs? My MTS2000s can do it but I haven't seen an area in the 3000 codeplug to enable it.
    The supposed R07.71.07 cvn (CVN6236S) from the firmware section here upgraded my radio to R07.71.06, not .07 . No big deal but I wonder why it didn't take me to the .07 revision?
    Anyone know the answers to these?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 579 Posts

As for the CVN, good catch! The "S" suffix file is as you say the 7.71.06 version. I have uploaded the correct 7.71.07 file to the related thread at: https://www.p25.ca/threads/46-XTS300...P-08-03-05-CVN. Thank you for bringing this to our attention - Have a cigar!

As for the aliases it might do it, but the flashcode option "enhanced ID display" must be enabled, and in the software under Display/Menu you have to enable "caller ID" and also "scan caller ID" to get ID displays. I believe if the ID is in a call list it will display the alias, but I'm not 100% sure about this. In the Astro25 line, I remember something about requiring fairly late version firmware to support trunking ID aliasing, so it may not be present in the older XTS3000/Astro line. I know numeric ID's will display, but I'm not sure about aliases. Maybe someone else knows for sure...