Thread: How to activate option H29 ? (Software Encryption)

drseltsam No Longer Registered

Default How to activate option H29 ? (Software Encryption)

Hi,

I recently learned that I have bought some VSELP Astros flashed with H35 conventional personality.

Further reading indicates that there is an option H29 Single Key SW Encryption I would like to activate on those radios.

Can this be done through s-record manipulation, like triggering the right bit with a hex editor (at FDB offset29, I believe...following MARS tutorial) ?

Thanks for any hints !

Cheers,

Thanks
    Thanked 4,931 Times in 1,469 Posts

I would add H07, Software Multikey Encryption. It is represented by a value of 4, at bit 6 in the flashcode. xxxxxx-4xxxxx-x

You'll also need to activate it at offset 21 in the FDB.

Hi Mars,

thanks for the sugggestion, just another question, as I am really new to digital radios ...

Can I perform all s-record manipulation with a normal RIB or do I need the smartRIB and this iButton dongle ?

And where can I get this famous MTSX Labtool SW in the suitable version to extract an Astro s-record...it says it's easily available on the net but somehow i can't get the clue where exactly to look, all the dark russion sites have tons of RSS & CPS but no MTSX LAB.

Thanks & cheers,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drseltsam View Post
    Can I perform all s-record manipulation with a normal RIB or do I need the smartRIB and this iButton dongle ?
    Normal RIB will work just fine. No iButton required. You don't even need the flash cables (more expensive) -- just a regular programming cable/RIB config.

And where can I get this famous MTSX Labtool SW in the suitable version to extract an Astro s-record...it says it's easily available on the net but somehow i can't get the clue where exactly to look, all the dark russion sites have tons of RSS & CPS but no MTSX LAB.
    I know it's frustrating. I've given serious consideration as to whether or not we should post it here. Obviously I want to respect Motorola's right to their intellectual property and other concerns they may have about their internal software. But here are some issues:

- MTSX Labtool R03.00.02 (10/24/94) is a VERY DATED piece of software;
    - It only supports radios which are NO LONGER SUPPORTED;
    - It's a fact this piece of software also is able to read/write s-records into ASTRO products. ASTRO products are also no longer supported;
    - There is no potential to contribute to financial losses by sharing this software, if the products it supports no longer generate revenue;

I will consult our legal adviser and make a decision on this. You're definitely not the only person who has requested recent help with this issue. Our site is progressive, but we still must be reasonable when it comes to Motorola's legal rights. That said, I can't see (at this point) how sharing it would cause them any damages or revenue loss.

Stand by for decision.

Ok, understood. Thx for explanation. Cheers.

Thanks

Hi there,

Just to make it clear: What bytes needs to be modified in the FDB? In Offset 21: single key encryption and.....?

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HA5BRG View Post
    Hi there,

Just to make it clear: What bytes needs to be modified in the FDB? In Offset 21: single key encryption and.....?

Thanks
    And Offset 32.

https://www.p25.ca/threads/352-ASTRO...lock-%28FDB%29

Thanks

At last I had some time to try this. It doesn't work. Radio won't transmit when I push the PTT: It only gives a low beeeeeeeep sound. What's the problem? Have I screwed something? In the CPS, I have enabled Software Encryption option.