Thread: APX3000 covert radio

Thanks

Thumbs up APX3000 covert radio

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    I've never really bothered 'playing' with ADP (it's like owning a Harley but still riding a tricycle)

Thanks

Probably would need voice announce to know what channel you were on.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,931 Times in 1,469 Posts

Kind of neat, but once again Motorola is not listening to their customers, nor do they have anyone employed who is former public safety. If they did, they'd know what the client really needs is a cell-phone-looking-radio. An upgrade to the XTS4000 would be perfect.

For covert operations, you can't be walking around holding a brick with a fat, 11" antenna sticking out of a "box" which looks like it would hold your reading glasses.

Covert operations tend to to localized surveillance. We don't need 8-mile simplex range. And most public safety repeaters/TRSs are built to PS standards and utilize preamps on the RX. So a 1.5-2W radio with a low-gain antenna (on covert radio) would work fine with most systems. Covert radios are not supposed to be a compact replacement for a standard-issue XTS5000/APX7000. Covert radios are purpose-built.

If the XTS4000 had been designed in 700/800 MHz, it would still be a favorite -- even though it looks like a 10-year-old iDen phone!

Thanks for the link.

Thanks

They need to make a covert radio look like an Iphone. I cant tell you how many people I see walking down the street with one earplug in and an Ipod/ Iphone in their hand. Hell no one would give it a second look

Thanks

Apple would probably sue them like they did with Samsung. Hah hah. Would be nice to see a BILLION dollar settlement against Motorola. I'd celebrate. Reality check.

ars.ki5mc No Longer Registered

And what about that cool flexible antenna with spacers for attachment to the body! That surely won't give anybody away!

Thanks

ars.ki5mc No Longer Registered

I actually have used one of those over 30 years ago!

drseltsam No Longer Registered

Yet, the covert APX3000 would make fine as a motorcycle touring gear ... as long as it would have some voice command operation :-)

Thanks

Great find! I was wondering when they'd build a successor to the DCR3000 a.k.a. Jackal.

Attached Images Attached Images

hayes_guziejka No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Firecpt809 View Post
    They need to make a covert radio look like an Iphone. I cant tell you how many people I see walking down the street with one earplug in and an Ipod/ Iphone in their hand. Hell no one would give it a second look
    Ear Phone Connecton
    aka: Tactical Ear Gadgits
    Makes a one looks pretty covert.
    Large-Snake3.jpg

syntrx No Longer Registered

Or Motorola NTN8296 (note the white headphones).

A friend of mine is a surveillance officer for a government agency. She's 5'2" and weighs probably no more than 110 pounds, so needless to say hiding an XTS5000 on her person is a challenge.

This Bluetooth setup would probably work well for her in the absence of a practical radio for this purpose; she stashes the PTT pod in her pocket, and hauls the radio around in a largish handbag.

Thanks

Wow, what a joke. I used to work on the old Fargos, you could pretty well hide those without much effort and they worked fairly well for covert ops.
    apx-fail999

Thanks

For covert surveillance the old iden looking XTS4000s are still the best, I own two in both flavors, and the VHF is tagged and all legit. You put them in lets say NY Cities Times Square with a suit case repeater in a car and NNTN5006BP Falcon PTT head set, I also have the Falcon head sets, for undercover ops, you still can't beat them.