• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

A7 Head Project

Status
P

PRC148

Not Registered
I'm at it again now that I've pretty much finished up the W9 head.

The plan this time is to try to build a VFO capable high channel capacity Syntor X9000 in Low-Band. I found a nice 16x2 reverse LCD for the display that pretty much drops right in. The plan this time is to try to make life easier by building a completely new PC board with the ATMEGA chip and everything on it. I found some button contact tracing artwork that pretty much duplicates the original board button traces. I'm wanting to use the original layout with original buttons and rubber contact pad so I don't have to do any intensive physical build stuff.

It kindof has that GE Orion look now.

2012-10-15_21-42-10_778_zps22fbf211.jpg

OP
A

ars.ki5mc

Not Registered
I'm looking forward to this project PRC148! Keep us updated! That's why this is my favorite site for Motorola info and projects!

Magnus

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Awesome, I can't wait to see what you come up with!

foxtrotdelta

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Sooooo cool! How do you plan to make a Syntor X9000 VFO capable?

OP
P

PRC148

Not Registered
I've been studying the service manual in my free time. I was thinking of building on the similar concept of the maxtroller project that interfaced to a maxtrac to take control of the tuning for the Unitrunker trunking decoder application. The micom was easy in the fact that you could talk with it over a predefined protocol (9600 serial). I think this will be alot tougher.

It's saying the programming information is sent from the uP to the divider (U602) in six four bit words over four data lines D0-D3 and three address lines A0-A2. It says the address lines A0-A2 tell the divider which of the six four bit words is sending.
It goes on to say the six four bit words on the data lines remain the same until modes are changed and the qP just addresses different memory locations in the memory module. Another interesting thing noted is they say the VCO can actually tune over a wider frequency range than what it's restrained to by the digital logic control so it sounds like it could operate quite a bit out of band.

I'm not sure I have what it takes to pull this off but maybe I can digest enough to get something going. A logic analyzer would really come in handy right now.

Last edited:

Mars

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Hello.

PRC148, I wish to tell you about my former career as a helicopter technician. I once repaired elevators for the Otis company in the 1970s.

Your project is a direct infringement on my intellectual property of the FPP SPECTRA which I posted on batboard during the Cuban missile crisis. Will you be offering a FPP Spectra? If so, I would like to order one for my collection at the Smithsonian museum, where there's also a massive underground UFO base.

--

OK seriously, I love it, dude. That screen is killer. I'm betting you'll be able to port this to the ASTRO Spectra some day. Hopefully before I start going grey or go up more belt sizes than I have fingers, or get my Dayton 10-year pin.

This will be just as amazing as your last thread, which got our site shut down due to the traffic from hackaday.com LOL

Magnus

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
A bus birate ($30 hacking multitool) can work as a low speed logic analyzer for a decent price. I think the same company (Dangerous Prototypes) make a cheap logic analyzer as well.

OP
P

PRC148

Not Registered
HAaaa...! it does remind of you of that fiasco doesn't it???!!! I might just switch over to the spectra platform just so I can claim the pseudo-cowthief title. I did study the service manual again for the astro last night (didn't wake up till noon today because of it) good god that's dry material. Anyway, I've been trying to study the maxtrac code that guy once posted at RR too. This is a long walk into territory I've never been code wise. Spitting precanned data strings out of a serial port is SOOO much easier than actually handling the data lines directly. I wish that Russian guy that made Remoto hadn't disappeared on us.

The more I think about this the more I really do like your suggestion... hmmm I think I will. Digital and VFO is combo that would definitely keep me more motivated and would be much more useful.

Hello.

PRC148, I wish to tell you about my former career as a helicopter technician. I once repaired elevators for the Otis company in the 1970s.

Your project is a direct infringement on my intellectual property of the FPP SPECTRA which I posted on batboard during the Cuban missile crisis. Will you be offering a FPP Spectra? If so, I would like to order one for my collection at the Smithsonian museum, where there's also a massive underground UFO base.

--

OK seriously, I love it, dude. That screen is killer. I'm betting you'll be able to port this to the ASTRO Spectra some day. Hopefully before I start going grey or go up more belt sizes than I have fingers, or get my Dayton 10-year pin.

This will be just as amazing as your last thread, which got our site shut down due to the traffic from hackaday.com LOL

Magnus

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
The first one should be complete if ordered from that link, you do have to order the cables separate if needed and it doesn't have a fancy case but its a more capable analyzer.

safe

Contributing Member
The Saleae Logic works great, with a stellar and stable software UI. It is a bit more costly ($149,) but I recommend it. They have a 16 channel if you really need that many channels.

http://www.saleae.com/logic

They are on a 1-2 week backorder on the Saleae site, but I got mine in stock at SparkFun in Colorado. Same price.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8938

I have heard positive reports about the Open Workbench too, but much less 'finished'

OP
P

PRC148

Not Registered
I am working with the Remoto program that was posted here a while back. I am trying to get the hang of how frequency information is calculated.

examples:

15000000 is 03 1D 60 3F C4

15000500 is 03 1D 61 3F AD

I'm looking at the service manual but I'm still not getting it.

OP
P

PRC148

Not Registered
I'm able to transmit packets on button presses with the AVR chip and corresponding LCD info such as DIM which will output the corresponding control head DIM button command of 05 60 01 57 41. I just need to assert the DSR line properly to control the BUS.

I'm still struggling with that tuning info above.

I'm thinking of maybe being able to operate in a dual mode capacity where you can use the radio as normal but then enter the optional mode where the arduino kicks out the SBEP packet and then is able to control the tuning and other options.

OP
P

PRC148

Not Registered
OK, got the DTR line worked out. There isn't one readily available from the Arduino so I wrote in a logic line that goes hi while the serial port is transmitting. I'm able to send commands now

The next plan is to clean it up a bit and start trying to assign some buttons. I'm probably going to enable a CSQ button to kick it into VFO mode then go from there.

I still wish I had that algo sussed out for the tuning. With that I could start mapping the tuning to the Arduino LCD frequency readout.

OP
P

PRC148

Not Registered
controlling with Arduino

Last edited:

rescue161

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I'd love to see the "Bovine Burglar's" reaction to this thread!

Status