Anritsu MS2711D

Status

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Does anyone know about this "field" spectrum analyzer?

Anything to look out for?

Thanks

G.

OP
gMan1971

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Fair enough, any decent 1k spectrum analyzer recommendation then?

Thanks.

Bill_G

Prolific Contributor
Why do you need *just* a spec an?

You can DIY with a SDR these days.

OP
gMan1971

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Well, the brand doesn't really matter, I am just looking for something for tuning duplexers and other misc stuff..

scoutcamper

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
For tuning duplexers I like my aeroflex 2975, for spectrum analyzer and DTF/ReturnLoss/SWR I use my anritsu S331D, different tools for different uses. The closest hybrid I have used that worked well was an Anritsu Fieldfox but those are definitely more $$ than most want to spend.

CARC383

Prolific Contributor
I have an Anritsu MT8212B Cell Master and its spectrum analyzer function is ok but its a piece of crap for tuning anything because the sweep is way too slow. You can't see what your tuning in real time and have to make a slight adjustment then wait for the sweep to catch up, then compensate your adjustment then wait, ahhhhhh! The Cell Master was only about $350 on Ebay and its still worth the price for checking things but not for tuning. Other lower end Anritsu's might be similar.

For tuning duplexers and filters I love an old HP/Agilent spectrum analyzer with tracking generator. I use an HP8594E and it runs circles around any analyzer built into a service monitor or any of the lower end Anritsu or other analyzers. Since the 8500 series HPs are getting a bit old their prices are very reasonable. If you want to be the bad ass in your radio group get an Agilent Field Fox, its an entire microwave lab in a cigar box.

At my last gig and before the Field Foxes were available I ordered an Anritsu MS2724B 20GHz analyzer loaded with everything and used it every day for several years until I retired. It never failed and worked very well but the upper crusty Anritsu's can get expensive. A guy I do some consulting with bought a couple of Agilent Field Foxes I use in the field and they are the best portable analyzers I've ever used. He's got one that goes to 6GHz, one that goes to 18GHz that's my favorite due to the auto cal features and native N connectors. His most recent purchase is one that goes to 33GHz and fully loaded but that one cost him north of $100k. For simple radio work you can go on the low end of Field Foxes and have everything you ever wanted for a fair price or you can easily break the bank on a higher end model.

OP
gMan1971

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Thanks, looking at the HP8594E then...

I just want something that scans fast, for sure... thanks!

G.

Bill_G

Prolific Contributor
Tracking gens are not standard equipment with spec an. It's an option. So, if your goal was tuning cavities, you want a decent service monitor like the HP already mentioned, or an IFR 120B with the spec an and track gen options. All the Anritsu gear has slow sweeps. You can get the job done, but you learn patience in the process.

OP
gMan1971

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
That IFR 120B looks great, might have to budget for that one... it can also tune Mototrbo stuff as well.. so that is a huge plus...

The HP looks pretty decent, I might have to settle for that for the time being...

Thanks.

Bill_G

Prolific Contributor
I don't know if the IFR120B can do Trbo or not. Analog mode sure. But, DMR came out after the 120B. They may have dev'd a software upgrade I'm not aware of. Mine ain't got it.

TRENT310

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
COM120B's can't measure fast enough to properly test a DMR MS radio transmitting in TDMA mode, they don't support any test patterns (O.153, 1031, etc.), and won't be able to display BER in digital mode. Not even the later 2975 supported it. It took the switch to a Linux based platform when the other protocols were finally implemented in the Aeroflex/IFR/Viavi portfolio.
You would instead configure an analog mode on the radio to perform the tuning, which you're still measuring and adjusting the same major basic parameters of the transceiver. Even modulation balance is still an alignment done in the analog realm with the deviation meter.

The COM120s were my favourite service monitor model and I've lugged one around for years, very fast boot up compared to the later models and still acceptable runtime from a lead acid battery. But the reality is the internal real time clock chips and the displays are reaching end of life and they need special care taken to not lose options (read out and make backups!) and try to avoid leaving static graphics on the display for periods of time. If you find one that's been unplugged for years, chances are the RTC module may have discharged. Then my last one finally lost its power termination temperature measurement. Plan for the common failures and you end up finding out something else goes...

OP
gMan1971

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Apparently there is a n LCD replacement for the CRT on the HP8591, so I might end up getting one of those... what do you guys think? the HP8591?

Thanks!

G.

CARC383

Prolific Contributor
Apparently there is a n LCD replacement for the CRT on the HP8591, so I might end up getting one of those... what do you guys think? the HP8591?

Thanks!

G.
The HP 8591A is very good and there is a LCD option available for many of these older models. If the CRT is in good shape it may live longer than you. I find many displays look questionable like they are burnt around the edges and its usually only dust that's accumulated in the corners of the CRT from the fan sucking air in the front. You can easily take off the bezel around the display and clean the CRT face and most of the time they look brand new again. Make sure you get one with the tracking generator option.

cyrus

Trailer Park Superintendent
Staff member
CS Forums $upporter
For quick and dirty interference hunting, I use an Anritsu 332D. The spectrum analyzer isn't great but it works for strong signals. If I need something better, I'll grab our dedicated Anritsu spectrum analyzer. I think it's a 2713 or similar.

For tuning filters, I grab my old HP8921 test set. I haven't upgraded my display but one of the other fellows purchased a screen upgrade off off eBay and is quite pleased with it. It looks like the display is the same as the 8591.

OP
gMan1971

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Looks like we have a winner then.. HP8591A, and those are pretty fast sweep too... and I don't mind about the good old Hercules green phosphor display... :) Looks high tech!! :)

G.

The HP 8591A is very good and there is a LCD option available for many of these older models. If the CRT is in good shape it may live longer than you. I find many displays look questionable like they are burnt around the edges and its usually only dust that's accumulated in the corners of the CRT from the fan sucking air in the front. You can easily take off the bezel around the display and clean the CRT face and most of the time they look brand new again. Make sure you get one with the tracking generator option.

Status