Anytone AT-D878UV - excellent tech radio

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Well, that sucks... I don't know... but even if you get it to work, it doesn't let any control messages through, no SMS, no radio checks, etc... so it is, for most practical purposes, useless except for tinkering around... which is what a ham radio is meant for... I guess.

G.

OP
Mars

Mars

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Firmware 1.22 out.

No useful features in my opinion. Hammy APRS crap, five tone signaling selective calling and keypad beep disable, while other tones remain enabled. I was kind of hoping for ARC-4 and Tier 3 trunking hahah. Okay, I guess I'm trolling now.

jjbond

No Longer Registered
Firmware 1.22 out.

No useful features in my opinion. Hammy APRS crap, five tone signaling selective calling and keypad beep disable, while other tones remain enabled. I was kind of hoping for ARC-4 and Tier 3 trunking hahah. Okay, I guess I'm trolling now.
Nice to see you're still back... stay that way. :)

jjbond

No Longer Registered
I was kind of hoping for ARC-4 and Tier 3 trunking hahah. Okay, I guess I'm trolling now.
(bait taken)
Sheeeesh, next you'll want encryption and P25, get out of the hammy crap and come back where you belong... in the man's world. :)

OP
Mars

Mars

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Sheeeesh, next you'll want encryption and P25, get out of the hammy crap and come back where you belong... in the man's world. :)
Didn't know your Wi-Fi extended into the kitchen.

xpr8300

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
(( BITES TONGUE ))

To stay on topic, I skipped the last version so i went ahead and updated to this one. No real compelling reason other than the new version number and hoping under the hood undocumented stuff got fixed (or broken.. yikes)

Number 6

T¹ ÆS Ø - Site Host
Staff member
CS Forums $upporter
You knew it extended into the bedroom and out to the dog house, why wouldn't it extend to the kitchen? OHHHHH SNAP!!!!!! Get your mind back on hammy radios before you get banned. :)
@jjbond: Can you fix that damn "purple" signature that none of us can see on a black background?

jjbond

No Longer Registered
@jjbond: Can you fix that damn "purple" signature that none of us can see on a black background?
What purple, I don't see a thing... lol... HEY, you changed the background.. I had to go white to my own stuff... joking.. I'll change it. :)

jjbond

No Longer Registered
Quiet day at the shop today. Added the shields omitted by the factory; the PCB lands to do so were already there. Performed a realignment of the front end BPF (varactor tuning) to compensate for the stray capacitance the shields would add. End result: 2dB noise reduction / sensitivity improvement on VHF, no change UHF, and I doubt any change to IP3. You'd barely notice this in use.
KX7RueR.jpg

KXP5pyq.jpg
Nice, you should offer this as as service of do a bunch to sell to members here.... I was looking at the XPR7550e that's for sale in the "For Sales" section but then remembered Mars's thread (this one). So am looking to grab one of these to learn more about DMR etc.... are you planning on selling any of these done up?

Jen

jjbond

No Longer Registered
Interesting, this is the first time I've seen a vendor put on a value to their Facebook page.. buy your radio from us and we'll give you access to the page, worth $100.00... I wonder if that's even in compliance with Facebook's policy? Crazy.... not getting my biz, anyone have one of these for sale? I'd rather buy from someone I trust here anyways...

1613525046218.jpg

OP
Mars

Mars

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Just order it from whoever has the best price, and call it a day. I would hope you are not one of those retards who needs a Facebook support page to work their radio. Fuck those people and their "regional codeplug begging".

The 878 is still a little hammy assed CCR radio, but it's the turd that floats at the top of the bowl, where the other ones have sunk to the bottom, if that makes any sense.

jjbond

No Longer Registered
I would hope you are not one of those retards who needs a Facebook support page to work their radio.

it's the turd that floats at the top of the bowl, where the other ones have sunk to the bottom
:oops: No, I'm just a regular retard, not one of the ones that needs Facebook.

Well, considering you've known me since 2005 and seen my comments on bat****, p25, and now here, chances are you know the answer to #1, especially in light of the fact I don't even HAVE a Farcebook page... (I was simply being sarcastic about them offering that as a benefit of buying from them). If I want support or help with a radio, I go where everyone who wants real answers goes to.... RR (ducking)

Yes, cleanest dirty shirt in the closet, I get it... But as much as you like to pretend you're a grumblefish, you must have liked what you saw (for what it is), you took time to write a pretty detailed post here about it, as well as subsequent firmware updates. If I saw you write the same positive comments about the XPR7550e I mentioned, I'd probably buy that (if we could hack to make it work to the same level etc)... some of us value your opinion... (looking around the room, hey, where'd everybody go).

OP
Mars

Mars

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Woman, are you implying that I'm some kind of social media influencer? If so, that makes me some kind of pathetic loser.

The only reason I bought that piece of shit is because at the time, it was a lot less money than a 7550, and I was looking for something to monitor a relatively simple, conventional VHF DMR system. It fit the bill, and still does. But this thing is 100% hammy. I would not even put it in the low end commercial category.

Stay in the kitchen and get off the goddamn internet for the rest of the night. I'm going to have to set up some hourly restrictions for your Wi-Fi use, and potentially get some of that spray they use for training dogs or whatever, that keeps them in certain rooms.

If there's one positive thing we can take from this debacle, it's that you are not a Baoturd fangurl.

jjbond

No Longer Registered
Woman, are you implying that I'm some kind of social media influencer?
STAND CLEAR BOYS, IT’S ABOUT TO BLOW.... The last thing any of you want are Mars cranium chunks in your hair. (I hardly call the sites I mentioned “social media” more like unsocial but yes, being part of a dysfunctional family is still being part of a family. :)
PS: Yes I clearly recall the wrath of God you opened up on me for have a B word radio listed in my signature radio list.

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
LMAO... unsocial... gotta love it when people call things by their real names these days... with so much of this: "Lets name the cat tail a leg, so we can pretend the cat has five legs" kind of nonsense going on....

And back to the 878. I think the radio CPU is underpowered, b/c the radio chews the first 1/2 second of every transmission, its like it takes a few seconds to start producing audio... and the 578 still freezes and hangs, randomly... so... there is that.

G.

OP
Mars

Mars

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
LMAO... unsocial... gotta love it when people call things by their real names these days... with so much of this: "Lets name the cat tail a leg, so we can pretend the cat has five legs" kind of nonsense going on....

And back to the 878. I think the radio CPU is underpowered, b/c the radio chews the first 1/2 second of every transmission, its like it takes a few seconds to start producing audio... and the 578 still freezes and hangs, randomly... so... there is that.

G.
All true.

Then there's the Motorola XPR series which takes 9 seconds to power on. That's just wrong. The Anytone takes 13 seconds. My APX 4000 takes about 2.5 seconds, and the 2002-era XTS5000 takes 2 seconds. The 7550 and APX 900 share the same CPU. Why does the XPR take so long to boot up?

But yeah. 13 seconds is very much ghetto.

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Totally agree,
My old CB talkies, from the eaarly 90s, still power up instantly, so yes... certainly not ideal the XPR radios take this long to boot, but at least the XPRs don't chew the first 1/2 or 1 full second of every incoming transmission after the radio has sit idle on the channel for a while. The 878 does this, the MD5 does this and of course, the 578 does this as well...

I can only think of two things at this moment, that would explain the 2.5 to 9 second difference, one is that the XPR firmware was intentionally bogged down, with something like this:

#ifndef BUILD_PLATFORM_APX
#define NEED_TO_SELL_APX_ENCOURAGING_TIMER 7 // Refer to management, or your supervisor, for the correct value here, in seconds.
#endif
int BootXPRRadioHardware()
{
ShowMotoTRBOLogo();

#ifdef NEED_TO_SELL_APX_ENCOURAGING_TIMER //
std::this_thread::sleep_for ( std::chrono::milliseconds( NEED_TO_SELL_APX_ENCOURAGING_TIMER * 1000 ) );
#endif

or the firmware on the XPR is indeed, poorly coded, and of course, it can always be a combination thereof... :)

G.