Anytone AT-D878UV - excellent tech radio

Forts

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Well, at least they are still pushing updates for the 878, I'll give them that. As far as CCR stuff goes, it's the best of the bunch that I've seen. Adding ARC4 would make it 100% more useful for me.

jjbond

No Longer Registered
All true.

Then there's the Motorola XPR series which takes 9 seconds to power on. That's just wrong. The Anytone takes 13 seconds. My APX 4000 takes about 2.5 seconds, and the 2002-era XTS5000 takes 2 seconds. The 7550 and APX 900 share the same CPU. Why does the XPR take so long to boot up?

But yeah. 13 seconds is very much ghetto.
The more we progress, the more we move backwards, my SDS-200 and SDS-100 take a good 5-8 seconds to start when you turn them on as it loads all the banks, I can reach over and turn on my 780XLT or my Pro-2006 and be hearing traffic within a second.

mitaux8030

Contributing Member
Does it really need to be said that the AnyTone isn't suitable for critical comms? Captain Obvious there thinks so.
Who's going to be the first one to burst his Moto-fan-boy superheterodyne-is-the-only-good-receiver bubble by telling him that his beloved APX uses a direct conversion receiver...?

OP
Mars

Mars

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
K6ASF's experiences with the Anytone being used in a public-safety environment are not relevant to anything as the Anytone has no business being on a public-safety system in the first place. It's a piece of shit, hammy radio, for hammies. Hammies are used to using garbage, and the Anytone's RF performance aligns with what most of them are comfortable with.

Of course the Anytone will experience front-end overload and desense (while receiving a repeater) if it is receiving a communication from another radio within 10 feet away. The Motorola does a better job. One gets what they pay for.

And ASF, can you please stop with the "Mission Critical" buzz-word shit? You sound like an idiot. That's a Motorola propaganda term. No one I have ever met, or monitored on public-safety in more than 32 years of listening, has ever used "Mission Critical" to describe their communications. The use of that term is indicative of someone who has severe bursitis of the knees, from kneeling in front of Greg Brown for an extended period of time.

This thread is about the Anytone AT D878UV, a low-end, hammy toy that works fine for hotspot use and scanning. Even LCB3 knows the Anytone isn't intended for public-safety or commercial use. If anyone wants to discuss that ASF fuckboy, please take it to the lounge, where it fits right in with Jeremy. ASF isn't even worth mentioning. He's right-fucked in that head of his. Ignoring him and disregarding his "blog" is the only logical thing we can do.

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Captain Obvious... LMAO....

APX uses Rodinia, right? I would assume its the same version as the 7550e?

Yep, totally agree with Mars. I own a AT-578 (that nobody wants to buy), two MD5 (which nobody wants to buy) and had two 878 (which I returned to Amazon back in the day, thank God!!) ... all of them suffer from intermod in the NOAA 162.550... in fact, all my non Motorola, Vertex radios suffer from the same issue, even the Kenwood TM-V71a, suffers from the same NOAA intermod. The Baoturds don't have intermod issues, well, that is b/c they have a -30 dBm loss in dynamic sensitivity, so, basically they are so deaf, that intermod is not a problem.

G.