• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

APX Consolette radio swap

Nostatic

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
My agency has a large number of UHF APX consolettes, but we're going to be decommissioning our UHF system in the coming years and migrating to a 7/800 system. Since the UHF consolettes will be largely useless, and since a consolette is WAY more expensive than a mobile, I was wondering two things:

1) can I swap mobiles in the consolettes? What options do they need? I used to think they needed Extended dispatch but looking at a few we have now, they don't have that. I also used to think there was a consolette flash option, but looking at Akardam's encoder, it doesn't seem to exist. Does the lack of the L in the model number screw anything up

2) Can you use an APX6500 in a consolette?

With either of the above, do you lose wireline or ACIM?

Thank you!

OP
Nostatic

Nostatic

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
Upon disassembling the consolette, one other difference is a board in the radio behind the CHIB. It has a part number of PPHLN7000C or PHLN7000C and appears to have a serial number. An internet search reveals this is an "option board" but has no other information. A call to Motorola and speaking with Parts ID and the APX group revealed no additional information.

This now has me curious, because there is a "Force Fail" button and a "TRAP" LED on the board. Is this board needed in a Consolette radio?

As usual, my questions only lead to more questions :unsure:

radioinstl

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
There are 2 orderable option board assemblies available for both dash and remote mount configurations:
• GA00239AA containing the MHLN6999_ Memory board with 3-day secure key retention
• GA00238AA containing the MHLN7000_ Memory board (Now PPHLN or PHLN)
Both option boards contain a 1G managed NAND IC and Force fail circuitry. The MHLN6999 contains circuitry for 3-day key retention.

Forced Fail Functionality

The transceiver ships with a boot application that either executes normal radio firmware, or downloads firmware to the radio via USB. The boot application will stop and wait for a download if the firmware is corrupted, from a previous download for example, or if the user forces the radio into boot mode. The mechanism to force the radio into boot mode is located on the standard option board. Pressing the button labeled “Force Fail” on the option board then turning on the radio will cause the boot application to not execute the radio firmware and instead wait to download new firmware. When boot application is in this mode, the LED on the option board labeled “TRAP” will light.

You do not have to have the Option board
a 6500 and a 7500 are the same radio just flashed to different Model numbers and features
I do not think you can order a 7500 "L" model (consolette) with out the actual consolette. Regular 7500's are M30XXX9PW1AN, Consolette 7500s are L30XXX9PW1AN

PSEhub

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
There is no officially supported end-user conversion/crossgrade on the consolletes.

Have you contacted your account manager about it?

It is totally doable, but since its public safety I would try to keep Motorola's blessings as much as possible.

OP
Nostatic

Nostatic

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
There are 2 orderable option board assemblies available for both dash and remote mount configurations:
• GA00239AA containing the MHLN6999_ Memory board with 3-day secure key retention
• GA00238AA containing the MHLN7000_ Memory board (Now PPHLN or PHLN)
Both option boards contain a 1G managed NAND IC and Force fail circuitry. The MHLN6999 contains circuitry for 3-day key retention.

Forced Fail Functionality

The transceiver ships with a boot application that either executes normal radio firmware, or downloads firmware to the radio via USB. The boot application will stop and wait for a download if the firmware is corrupted, from a previous download for example, or if the user forces the radio into boot mode. The mechanism to force the radio into boot mode is located on the standard option board. Pressing the button labeled “Force Fail” on the option board then turning on the radio will cause the boot application to not execute the radio firmware and instead wait to download new firmware. When boot application is in this mode, the LED on the option board labeled “TRAP” will light.

You do not have to have the Option board
a 6500 and a 7500 are the same radio just flashed to different Model numbers and features
I do not think you can order a 7500 "L" model (consolette) with out the actual consolette. Regular 7500's are M30XXX9PW1AN, Consolette 7500s are L30XXX9PW1AN
Thank you for that explanation. It seems like that's a service aid; not sure why it was present in the radio. Maybe for the 3-day key retention? (the consolette was ordered with DES-OFB) I think I'll keep that off to the side to deal with corrupted firmware. This sounds a lot like the "flashzap" keystroke in the XTS series! Good thing to have in my back pocket.

There is no officially supported end-user conversion/crossgrade on the consolletes.

Have you contacted your account manager about it?

It is totally doable, but since its public safety I would try to keep Motorola's blessings as much as possible.

Anything I do would only involve customer purchasable CPS...I'm sure there are things above this that could be done but fortunately/unfortunately the freedom to do those things was gone when I came to work for an agency. The more I look at this, the more it seems like the consolette looks at the model number when booting up, so I'm unsure what, if anything, will work for me.

So I decided to throw in an APX6500Li because I had one on the bench. Other than the 1C/02 error on bootup, everything seemed to work. That is, of course, until I connected it to a CCGW using ACIM. Channel steering worked fine, RX worked (I didn't try passing ID's or EA's yet). I stopped because any time I try to key up from an OP, I get bonked (even on conventional). That's obviously a deal breaker. As I'm typing this, however, I realized that I did not check the "Consolette Enable" option in ergonomics.

com501

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Keep us informed on how this works out, this is an interesting project.

motorola_otaku

Prolific Contributor
As I'm typing this, however, I realized that I did not check the "Consolette Enable" option in ergonomics.
Read out the original radio then do a codeplug comparison in CPS and make sure all of the radio-wide settings are same same, including the radio profiles (AGC should be 100% disabled in a consolette radio.) iirc as long as "Consolette Enable" is checked it should work, and the Extended Dispatch flash option only affected MDC1200 capability.

edit: just saw your mention of using an APX6500Li... that may affect functionality. A standard APX6500 will work just fine in a consolette; they were even offered in a cost-reduced no head config.

OP
Nostatic

Nostatic

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
Read out the original radio then do a codeplug comparison in CPS and make sure all of the radio-wide settings are same same, including the radio profiles (AGC should be 100% disabled in a consolette radio.) iirc as long as "Consolette Enable" is checked it should work, and the Extended Dispatch flash option only affected MDC1200 capability.

edit: just saw your mention of using an APX6500Li... that may affect functionality. A standard APX6500 will work just fine in a consolette; they were even offered in a cost-reduced no head config.
Ahhhh, thank you for that! Great idea with the comparison tool, I rarely use it but I really should use it more often.

Any idea if extended dispatch has anything to do with ASTRO ID's, trunking ID's or passing emergencies for MDC, ASTRO or trunking?

I know I have a non Li 6500 around here somewhere.......

I will certainly keep you all in the loop. I'd bet many people in T-Band markets will eventually find this information useful.