• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

APX Portable & Mobile Flash Options

Status

mfire39

Contributing Member
Just thought I would post some info incase anyone has wondered about this.. The APX series can be configured as a basic H35 Conventional only radio, with no Trunking in the codeplug. Although an APX set up in this manor has been rarely seen, it is possible. This configuration is denoted by Flashcode digit 7 having a value of 0, prior to any other options being present. So as an example, xxxxx0-xxxxxx-x, this would leave you with only Conventional features and tabs in the codeplug.

This differs from all previous Flashport radio series over the years which would have a value of 1 in position 7 for H35 Conventional only operation. So an example of a nicely equipped Conventional only APX7000 UHF1/VHF would be 1A4232-211202-8. Just thought I would share this, as I'm sure some people have wondered about this, seeing as though only H38 Smartzone APX's seem to be out there..

-Marc

kf4lhp

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Funny you posted this, just yesterday had a UHF APX mobile slide across my bench (brand new) with 004040-800000-7 flashcode - conventional analog only with G507 12.5 kHz mandate (ugh), GA00341 UHF R1 mid power primary band, QA01479 Legacy SW SysKey enable.

Why they bought these I don't know. Should have bought a MotoTRBO mobile - just going to be put in a command post trailer with a little bit of analog public safety, analog interop, and they want ham stuff in it too but it only does 12.5 kHz. No wideband. Should sound real nice through a Regency repeater. :bang:

S

SteveG2012

Not Registered
At least Motorola thought about keeping whackers on systems instead of paging out fire departments with QCII.

I'm new to the forum and I was just wondering what a "whacker" is.

Bigfella237

Ø Tactical OTAR Slayer
There's a thorough definition on Urban Dictionary here: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=whacker

But this is a couple of the choice ones:

• (Someone who gets excited) Hearing their own voice on the radio
  • (Someone) Having more stuff on their workbelt then Batman

But there's plenty more on the link, although I would add a few of my own as well!

Mars

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I'm new to the forum and I was just wondering what a "whacker" is.

Go visit www.hamsexy.com and read all of the posts in the archive, tagged with ARES, RACES, SKYWARN, and the term whacker itself. It'll all begin to make sense really fast.

T

Tom in D.C.

Not Registered
Just thought I would post some info incase anyone has wondered about this.. The APX series can be configured as a basic H35 Conventional only radio, with no Trunking in the codeplug. Although an APX set up in this manor has been rarely seen, it is possible. This configuration is denoted by Flashcode digit 7 having a value of 0, prior to any other options being present. So as an example, xxxxx0-xxxxxx-x, this would leave you with only Conventional features and tabs in the codeplug.

This differs from all previous Flashport radio series over the years which would have a value of 1 in position 7 for H35 Conventional only operation. So an example of a nicely equipped Conventional only APX7000 UHF1/VHF would be 1A4232-211202-8. Just thought I would share this, as I'm sure some people have wondered about this, seeing as though only H38 Smartzone APX's seem to be out there..

-Marc

The above flashcode digit information is incorrect. An Astro Saber with first digit zero is FM only. One with first digit 1 is P25. One with first digit 5 is a combination of 1 (P25) and 4, with the 4 indicating enhanced digital display.

Astro Spectra

T¹ ÆS Ø - Moderator, CS Forums $upporter
Staff member
CS Forums $upporter
@ Tom, actually D4 B2 is the analog only Astro specific indication. While a flash beginning with 1 or 5 is usual, there are 459001-0C1800-4 and similar type Astro radios working fine as P25 conventional.

OP
mfire39

mfire39

Contributing Member
Hello Tom.. When I stated conventional only flashcode, it indicates no trunking features.. Analog only is different, meaning it would not have astro digital in the flashcode, and have the analog only flashcode bit enabled. So what I posted was correct, maybe just interpreted wrong..

-Marc

d119

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Funny you posted this, just yesterday had a UHF APX mobile slide across my bench (brand new) with 004040-800000-7 flashcode - conventional analog only with G507 12.5 kHz mandate (ugh), GA00341 UHF R1 mid power primary band, QA01479 Legacy SW SysKey enable.

Why they bought these I don't know. Should have bought a MotoTRBO mobile - just going to be put in a command post trailer with a little bit of analog public safety, analog interop, and they want ham stuff in it too but it only does 12.5 kHz. No wideband. Should sound real nice through a Regency repeater. :bang:

Does it allow you to select 25kHz on the amateur frequencies? Seems to me I read a notice in the CPS that certain frequencies in it have been exempted from the narrow-band mandate.

Would you mind checking this out and reporting back?

kf4lhp

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
At least in CPS R09.00.01 it doesn't. Trying frequencies between 440-450 MHz, the 4 kHz and 5 kHz TX Deviation options are red and cause an Invalid Field error. Only 2.5 kHz is selectable.

Funny thing is they also bought some V/7/8 APX7500 mobiles in the same order - the UHF's are 2013 manufacture per the serial and have G507, the V/7/8 are 2012 per serial and don't. The UHF are kinda odd anyhow in that the tag with the serial and flash which also tells you what port is what shows the antenna connector as "800" not UHF. WTF MexiMoto?

Status