• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

AS+ power amp repair?

mpcpsrego1

So I have a UHF 450 AS+ remote mount that was a full meg off and when it was serviced the shop said that the power amplifier was blown sooo with all the part radios on fleabay is it possible to swap out the power amplifier? If so what all would be needed to make the swap? I do alot with radios but this would but the first of this kind of issue for me. I don't want to scrap the radio but if it's cheaper to buy another one then I'd be willing to part with this brick to someone and get a regular astro spectra and throw it back into service. Any feedback is aways appreciated!

jry

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
the easy answer would just be a straight Astro Spectra.

May be easier to swap the VOCON's to the donor which is what the field AS+ upgrades did.

Not sure an analog Spectra would work without looking at the manual.

Navy_BOFH

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Easiest time you'd have is to grab the PA from an R-split Spectra or Astro Spectra... they're all the same design in the end. The difference between Spectra and Astro Spectra was in the VOCON area - and same again with the AS to AS+.

Should be able to just remove the PCB and slam it into your existing housing and re-tune.

jry

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I would still double check the manual on the analog vs astro spectra. the controller board changed so it may not be plug compatible between the two versions. astro spectra's are cheap enough that I would try and stick with one of those.

code352

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I would still double check the manual on the analog vs astro spectra. the controller board changed so it may not be plug compatible between the two versions. astro spectra's are cheap enough that I would try and stick with one of those.
Navy_BOFH is on the money. Astro and Analog Spectra PAs are identical in fit and function. Just re-cap first if it was from an analog spectra.

OP
M

mpcpsrego1

So I was able to find an AS 450 40 watt remote mount brick with latest firmware but its a W5 and my AS+ 450 has the lastest firmware but is a W7, would it be as easy as just taking the VOCON from my W7 brick with the bad PA and sticking it in the W5 brick, then taking it down and having it aligned and placing it back into service? I have read some forums and it seems like I wont have much trouble in this dept but I want to double check as not to jack it up. I am still in a learning curve with the AS line radio when it comes to components but I want to learn as much as I can as these radios are worth the time to keep in service. I'll get the flashcodes if needed I know both do analog and digital first hand though if that matters or not

jry

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
If you move the AS+ VOCON than an alignment check should be all you need.

I assume these are both remote mount non-W3 so the TIB should be the same.

The four VOCON screws have a tendency to strip ...often loose one in a VOCON swap

But its only six screws total to swap the VOCON and no cables to try and get back in place.

OP
M

mpcpsrego1

yeah they are both remote mount non W-3, the bad radio is a AS+ W7 and the good radio is a AS W5. Both are in the 450-480 range, both 40 watts. I love the additional features of the AS+ so making the VOCON swap seems like a good idea at this point