• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

Astro saber 9600 P25 to monitor a trunking system (Minnesota ARMER)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aarpaz

I am looking at buying an ASTRO saber.

i want to be able to monitor the Minnesota ARMER with it.

i know how to program an XTS for this system but not a ASTRO saber

i already have the cable and the software for the radio.

this is the flash code

[h=3]590008-041E80-4[/h]
Q806/G806IMBE / APCO-25 Digital Operation
H14/G114Digital ID Display
H101,G101,H169Conventional Repeater Access (Analog Operation Only)(MDC1200 or Singletone)
H868/W298Conventional Multikey and Analog Conventional MDC OTAR
H38/G51Smartzone Operation
Q352Soft ID
W947/Q947APCO Packet Data
Q387Conventional voting scan
Q173/G173Smartzone OmniLink Operation
G182Enhanced Radio Call Protocol
Q361/G361Digital APCO-25 IMBE Trunking (9600kb Control)

Is this going to be possible?

thanks for your time.

p47r4ck

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
i know how to program an XTS for this system but not a ASTRO saber...

When you say "XTS", do you mean an ASTRO 25 XTS (1500 / 2500 / 5000), or the XTS 3000 ? The XTS 3000 is pretty darn close functionally to the Astro Saber, so much so that they use the CPS.

You have the H38 & Q361 options, so at that point you'd need to make sure the Astro Saber has Firmware HOST R06.72.00 (DSP should be 08.03.05 or thereabouts)... or that you have all the things necessary to get the radio to that point (I.E. a refresh FLASHkey, a SmartRIB w/cables, and the right CVN file)

Mars

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
aarpaz: That flashcode is invalid for the R06 host firmware. The maximum feature set is 548008-000480-9.

Other features are not supported in the firmware.

OP
I

iamjason

As stated before, XTS and AS use the same software. If you've already programmed an XTS for ARMER you should be able to drag and drop everything from your XTS codeplug to your AS codeplug. Only thing that would be different is the hardware configuration (your zone select will go from "A-B-C" to "A-B", and yaddi yadda).

cyrus

Trailer Park Superintendent
Staff member
CS Forums $upporter
As stated before, XTS and AS use the same software. If you've already programmed an XTS for ARMER you should be able to drag and drop everything from your XTS codeplug to your AS codeplug.

As others have already pointed out, it depends which XTS he's got. Any ASTRO25 XTS will use different CPS.

OP
I

iamjason

True. My mistake to assume the OP was using a 3000.

OP
A

aarpaz

OK so I did the hidden channel method and am receiving the digital audio and it is working well but it misses dispatch side or the officers side of the conversation sometimes. Or even misses the whole call. What could be causing this problem? Checked with unitrunker and it is definitely not affiliating

OP
I

iamjason

Do you have TX Inhibit assigned to any of your buttons or switches? 9600 doesn't play well with TX inhibit (i.e. use it and you'll miss transmissions).

If you're still having problems, I'd be happy to take a look at your codeplug. I'll PM you my email.

OP
A

aarpaz

If I disable that how can I ensure no accidental transmissions

Mars

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
If I disable that how can I ensure no accidental transmissions
How can the radio possibly transmit on a trunking system if you're sitting on/scanning from a conventional channel, and the designated voice TX member is set for "selected channel"?

You cannot transmit on a trunking system with this configuration.

OP
A

aarpaz

Ohhh Ya. Alright I'll try to thanks for your help

OP
I

iamjason

Your Designated Voice TX member should be set to "Selected Channel". As long as your radio is parked on an RX-only conventional personality while scanning trunking, you'll never transmit on the system. If you were ever to inadvertently press PTT while scanning, your radio would revert straight to the conventional personality (and provided your personality is set to RX-only you wouldn't be transmitting on that either).

As for selecting a talkgroup directly and talking on it... Well... If you've properly programmed the radio using the "hidden" talkgroup method, you shouldn't even be able to do that anyway.

EDIT: Apparently in the time it took for me to type this, the question has already been answered... Oh well. Mods feel free to delete this if need be.

Last edited:
OP
A

aarpaz

It is still missing transmissions after removing the TX inhibit from the rotary switch

OP
I

iamjason

Do you have control channels from multiple sites programmed in to the same trunking personality (i.e. are you scanning multiple sites simultaneously?)

EDIT: Just got your reply. I'll check into that cp when I can crack open the laptop over break.

Last edited:
OP
A

aarpaz

I did have multiple sites in the radio. Then I programmed just 1 and it's still missing transmissions.

By the way I sent the codeplug.

OP
A

aarpaz

Still having this issue. TX inhibit is off, and only one site is programmed and I'm still missing transmissions occasionally. Any ideas/suggestions that I could try?

Mars

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Still having this issue. TX inhibit is off, and only one site is programmed and I'm still missing transmissions occasionally. Any ideas/suggestions that I could try?
Try enabling Omnilink.

noaffiliatefan

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Two things:

1) radio could be out of alignment - you'll get symptoms like this. Easily fixed in the right hands.

2) It's somewhat possible that some of the transmissions are not being carried on the site you're listening to. This would be more prevalent in rural areas. Without divulging anything specific, about where are you? Rural? In the cities? Is the system you're listening to simulcast?

Status
Not open for further replies.