• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

Astro spectra+ upgrade

Status

kevlar1307

CS Forums $upporter
I'm trying to learn more about the Astro Spectra PLUS. I saw where Mars referenced the vocon upgrade in another thread and it brought up a few questions. Is it as simple as getting a Astro Spectra in the split I want and changing out the vocon board? Seems like there would be more to it. I am in the market for a P25 mobile for my truck and while the XTL mobiles look nice they are a little out of my price range and it seems like the Astro Spectras go for a lot cheaper but then again it seems like one that will fit my needs rarely comes on the used market (high power remote mount) . I would like to have one to do 440 Ham plus my commercial stuff up to 470 but I doubt there is a split that will do both. I can forget the ham stuff if need be. I require P25 trunking hence the need for the PLUS model. If anyone can provide any information on the upgrade and the cost of it I would appreciate it.

Notarola

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Yes you only need to change the vocon board to convert the unit from ASTRO to ASTRO25. You would need a codeplug with any ASTRO25 features you want but thats a different issue and is not that difficult to install (provided you can find one that you want).

the board is available from Motorola its a HLN6837E its listed at $488 us last time i looked.

The band limits can be edited for what you want , if the vco will hold its lock you will be ok.

OP
K

kevlar1307

CS Forums $upporter
Wow $488. I wasnt expecting it to be that much. I see one dash mount on ebay for 350 or so so that's not a bad idea. I suppose since it uses astro25 to program that the depot software would load a new flash like in the xts portables. Just not sure if mobile and portable depot is the same or not.

Mars

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I'm trying to learn more about the Astro Spectra PLUS. I saw where Mars referenced the vocon upgrade in another thread and it brought up a few questions. Is it as simple as getting a Astro Spectra in the split I want and changing out the vocon board?
Yes, pretty much. Motorola will "provision" the board at the time of order, but I have no problem stating on the record Motorola is COMPLETELY USELESS AND ABSOLUTELY RETARDED when it comes to provisioning any AS+ vocon, except 800 MHz.

I have ordered 4-5 HLN6837Es. The VHF and UHF vocons I ordered came with 800 MHz tuning partitions!!! MORONS!! Anyway...

kevlar1307 said:
I would like to have one to do 440 Ham plus my commercial stuff up to 470 but I doubt there is a split that will do both.
You need the range 3.5 (I think?) It's 450-485 MHz. Without hardware mods, it will work down to 442 MHz no problem. This is the split I use in the truck. Our repeaters are 443-445 MHz (+ offsets) and everything is great.

I can forget the ham stuff if need be. I require P25 trunking hence the need for the PLUS model. If anyone can provide any information on the upgrade and the cost of it I would appreciate it.
You're looking at about $360 for the vocon. I'll drop you a PM with contact information. There's a dealer who will be willing to sell for much less than the $488 ripoff price.

A few other points which are important:

- The UHF (450-482) split has a "soft limit" of 450.00000 MHz. Below this frequency, the digital tuning values are no longer referenced. Everything is out of alignment. I have expert-level experience in working with the ASTRO Spectra Plus, and have identified the soft limit. I can shift it down to 440 MHz for you, no problem. It's a codeplug tweak with special tools -- not Depot.

- Moto is not going to sell you an ASTRO25-enabled AS+ vocon for $360. If you want to try and hack it on your own, be my guest. If you have any "troubles", you can always drop me a note.

- If you require secure operation, you will require a AS+ UCM. These are identical to the regular ASTRO Spectra UCMs, except they're loaded with firmware version R05.xx.xx, instead of R03.xx. The R03.xx firmware UCMs do not work with the AS+ vocon. I can sell you a UCM which will work with the ASTRO Spectra Plus. They're loaded with DES-OFB/DES-XL/DVP-XL/AES-256/ADP. Latest firmware. AS+ UCMs are very rare; I'm not aware of a source for them besides Moto or my stash.

ASTRO25 Portable Depot will not program the AS+ vocon. And on that note, no further discussion of using current Depot in this thread, please.

Status