California Officials declare Ham Radio no longer a benefit; Demands Ham radio repeater infrastructure to be Removed

jjbond

No Longer Registered

clbsquared

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Old news. They're simply decommissioning the tower sites on state owned lands that no longer serve a purpose. The ham repeaters can stay so long as the owners pay the rent asked of them. Unfortunately the asking price is so high, no one wants to pay it. So, they have to remove the equipment and locate it somewhere else.

Wodie

Contributing Member
Hams believe they must have a lot of privileges and everything for free, just because they have a license and a 40 years old radio. Their arguments usually say they can setup comms in minutes with their radio and a simple wire. Then why they need those locations for repeaters, if that can be setup in minutes, well, setup the repeater after an emergency, it will be ready in few minutes right?
Hams could be really usefull during emergencies, but first they need to train, make drills, and I am not talking about rag-chew drills, I mean real drills, real radios, real standards, real compromise, not just to show up for the newspaper picture holding a Baofeng.
I will never understand how their Baofeng radios will perform and not fail vs a P25 system. What make those cheap radios and repeaters better and disaster proof?
Two days ago a ham contacted me asking if I know how to “modify” his Baofeng so he can use my P25 repeaters, WTF?

Wodie

Contributing Member
By the way, I have an amateur license, and 99% of the few time I spent taking on the radio, it is allways the same: weather, which radio they are using and telling me their ham Yaesu, Kenwood, iCom or Baofeng is better that my radio (APX), even they say they listen to my radio fairly well, but advise me to change it for a real radio like the ones they have, because a “comercial radio” like the one I have is poorly designed. once upon a tome a radio club asked me if I can sell them one of my repeaters at a ham friendly price, but, as it was already at my site, keep it there for free, as the site is mine and I do not pay for the site, again WTF?

d119

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
That article is almost 1-1/2 years old and the website is, well ...
Thank you - you're absolutely correct. This is an ANCIENT (over two years old) issue that had to do with ONE CalFire site, and as usual the Amateur community blew it up into something entirely different, and everybody grabbed the misinformation and ran with it.

scoutcamper

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
I know the parties involved on all sides of that cluster, I grew up in that area and that was one of the first repeater sites I ever went to and worked on.

In that vault, everything is very nice public safety grade R56 meeting etc., and then over in the corner there is this ham monstrosity that doesn't meet R56 or anything remotely close to it, it used to be a GE MASTR2, last I heard it was changed out for a TKR-720. The state techs weren't asking for much, just clean up the corner, zip tie the cables up and make it look professional, they finally got tired of asking and went above to their management, that's what blew the whole mess up.

Bottom line, if you are in a true public safety vault, you need to at least *look* like you belong, otherwise you will be looking for a new tower and vault to move into.

CARC383

Prolific Contributor
This is slightly related but nothing to do with the ham repeaters in the original story. There is a completely belligerent group of hams who try and shoe horn their repeaters into places they don't belong and for free. They were discovered operating at one LA County radio site with no official permission and the equipment was disconnected. A few days later it was back on then disconnected again then back on again. This repeater was uncoordinated and on the same frequency pair as a nearby coordinated repeater.

Finally the LA County Sheriffs were dispatched and confiscated the rogue repeaters and held it at one of their stations. I was told whoever owned it and wanted it back had to prove they owned it and that would start an investigation on who let them in to the site. They had their ham antennas sticking way up at a helipad and I also heard some pilots had complained they don't like to land at that site due to dangerous conditions caused by the ham repeater antennas. Some hams just need to be locked up for shit like this.

com501

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Bolt cutters, hacksaws and sledge hammers are common tools used to mitigate this problem. Oh, you want us to pay for this crap you put in our building? Sure, here's twenty bucks. Buy some donuts with the change.

ndp

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I stopped caring after they brought up a PSPS event as reasoning, which literally has nothing to do with CalFire or any state infrastructure.

kb4mdz

Contributing Member
Can I make a suggestion here?

Since the original article is what, 1-1/2 years old, and (IMO, based on some of the background told here (thank you, scoutcamper)) there was good reason for the offending ham group to get booted off, yadda, yadda, yadda,

Can the mods lock this thread and then delete it? And the next person who tries to re-post this 'story' be summarily and publicly castigated. This needs to die a quick and painful death.

OP
J

jjbond

No Longer Registered
Can I make a suggestion here?

Can the mods lock this thread and then delete it? And the next person who tries to re-post this 'story' be summarily and publicly castigated. This needs to die a quick and painful death.
Sheeesh, a little extreme aren't you, we charged by the byte for storage? Do you have PTSD from that event or something, what triggered you? There is lots of good info from old posts or old items, in fact I just posted a link to a Motorola video from 1977 that's awesome. A year or so ago there was a thread about Motorola ad images from the 80's that was fun. Chill out.....

CQDX

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
"The real story here is Ham Radio is a threat to the government." I stopped reading.

kb4mdz

Contributing Member
Sheeesh, a little extreme aren't you, we charged by the byte for storage? Do you have PTSD from that event or something, what triggered you? There is lots of good info from old posts or old items, in fact I just posted a link to a Motorola video from 1977 that's awesome. A year or so ago there was a thread about Motorola ad images from the 80's that was fun. Chill out.....
PTSD? No, but I do get tired of BS articles popping up wayyyyy past their time of importance. The article itself is written in an inflammatory style, with lots of innuendo and casting aspersions everywhere. (Myself, I can't cast innuendo across my own driveway, but that's another issue). And to think I tried hard not to come across as another foaming at the mouth raver. Sigh. But this is now #16th reply about a dead subject (again, IMO).

It's old news, and when it was fresh, it wasn't very good to begin with. Poorly written, little researched and just stoking fires.

Yes, I agree that there are hams out there who are not subtle or polished or willing to listen to other people, including those who are 'In Charge' Those guys give the rest of us a bad name.

On the other hand, a thread about old Motorola ad images? That's cool! Bring on more like that!!