• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

Can anyone identify this connector?

EM36

BDA Wizard
CS Forums $upporter
This is on the top of a David Clark wireless belt station. I need to replace the lockwasher and the nut. DC doesn't carry spare parts (riiiiiight they want you to bring in for repair) I refuse to pay someone to replace a damn nut. (bad customer service imo too)
I'm sure that mouser or someone sells this...

IMG_1844.JPG

CARC383

Prolific Contributor
That would be a military U-283/U connector and the mating cable mount connector is a U-328/U. Its standard on all US and many foreign military radios for the last 30yrs. Before that there was a 5 pin version that started on the PRC-25 radio in the 1960s which was one of the first that use the "new series" of audio connector. This type of connector is also used for crypto key fill.

OP
EM36

EM36

BDA Wizard
CS Forums $upporter
YOU SIR ARE THE MAN!

That would be a military U-283/U connector and the mating cable mount connector is a U-328/U. Its standard on all US and many foreign military radios for the last 30yrs. Before that there was a 5 pin version that started on the PRC-25 radio in the 1960s which was one of the first that use the "new series" of audio connector. This type of connector is also used for crypto key fill.

OP
EM36

EM36

BDA Wizard
CS Forums $upporter
Did/do they make these in 7 pin? I see 5 and 6 pin none that are 7 pin? Mouser only carries 5/6
That would be a military U-283/U connector and the mating cable mount connector is a U-328/U. Its standard on all US and many foreign military radios for the last 30yrs. Before that there was a 5 pin version that started on the PRC-25 radio in the 1960s which was one of the first that use the "new series" of audio connector. This type of connector is also used for crypto key fill

CARC383

Prolific Contributor
Did/do they make these in 7 pin? I see 5 and 6 pin none that are 7 pin? Mouser only carries 5/6
I've never seen a 7 pin. The 5 and 6 pin are completely compatible for audio and transmit functions because the outer pattern of pins is the same and the center pin is used only for key fill or sometimes carrying power to another device. A 7 pin would not be compatible and would be another series of connector. These are usually available on Fleabay for cheap both male and female versions. If you just need an audio connector for cable mount search for U-229.

CARC383

Prolific Contributor
I didn't notice that yours is a 7 pin and that is unusual and probably rare. The 5 and 6 pins are cheap and plentiful due to gabillions being produced. A cheap surplus 7 pin may be hard to find.

OP
EM36

EM36

BDA Wizard
CS Forums $upporter
I just need a lockwasher and retaining nut. Think they might be the same?

CARC383

Prolific Contributor
I just need a lockwasher and retaining nut. Think they might be the same?
There is a good chance the outer dimensions and nut size are the same as a 5 or 6 pin. I've searched all my usual sources for a 7 pin and come up with nothing. Frankly yours is the first 7 pin I've ever seen. Here is a used one with nut that is compatible with a 5 or 6 pin. https://www.ebay.com/itm/U-183-U-PA...088388?hash=item3b30296004:g:9tIAAOSwXXxZUtSd

There is or was a used connector dealer called William Perry Company that had just about every military connector made at reasonable used prices but don't see a web site for them. You might do a search and see if a phone # comes up. You can tell them you want a chassis mount 7 pin version of a U-183 and they should know exactly what you are talking about.

OP
EM36

EM36

BDA Wizard
CS Forums $upporter
Tnx for the input guys. Will do some legwork on this tomorrow.

Bill_G

Prolific Contributor
See also Newmar. Good luck finding the exact part number. The Canon catalogue is a slog.

OP
EM36

EM36

BDA Wizard
CS Forums $upporter

RocketScott

No need to buy the whole connector. The (MAJ-17-00) schematic on Digi-Key lists a part number for just the nut (MAJ-10-33) but I can't find one listed online. You may be able to contact a Amphenol dealer and see if they can get it

The cheaper option would be to figure out the thread size and order a panel nut. The original didn't have a lock washer, just an oring on the inside. A drop of loctite wouldn't hurt though

CARC383

Prolific Contributor
I have several 5 and 6 pin versions and can provide measurements. If they are the same as the 7 pin you would have a cheap supply of parts off Ebay.

RocketScott

I have several 5 and 6 pin versions and can provide measurements. If they are the same as the 7 pin you would have a cheap supply of parts off Ebay.
They are different diameters

OD of The MAJ is .57"
AJ connectors are .96"

The M in MAJ is for Micro

OP
EM36

EM36

BDA Wizard
CS Forums $upporter
No need to buy the whole connector. The (MAJ-17-00) schematic on Digi-Key lists a part number for just the nut (MAJ-10-33) but I can't find one listed online. You may be able to contact a Amphenol dealer and see if they can get it

The cheaper option would be to figure out the thread size and order a panel nut. The original didn't have a lock washer, just an oring on the inside. A drop of loctite wouldn't hurt though
I called Amphenol Nexus this afternoon after a futile search. They're courtesy mailing me two nuts today. AAAA++++++

SPECIAL_EYE

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
You should see the samples used to get in the day from automotive connector manufactures for prototyping. I would just tell them I was working on a project and they would send as much as I needed for probably 10 of each type. Packard-Delphi, Cannon ITT, Deutsch to name a few.

Amphenol was rare or non-existent in automotive/truck/ag, but dam they make a good connector, like the military needs.