• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

Charger options for Trbo Portable....

Status

fozz3d

Contributing Member
Hi Guys,

Thinking of playing with some Motorola Trbo portables, in relation to charging them, can I use a XTS Impres MUC? Is a adapter needed? Or am I SOOL and need a sep. charger for them...

Cheers.

Mars

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
No, unfortunately -- from all information I've seen to date, you need to use the silly TRBO IMPRES charger.

When I ordered my 7550, I asked the dealer if he could send me a MUC adapter for the TRBO battery. He said they don't exist and Moto uses a different SUC for these TRBO radios. I searched the net, and indeed, there is no adapter available. The dealer also knows what he's talking about.

IMO, this is another Moto fail.

OP
fozz3d

fozz3d

Contributing Member
Sigh

You would think they'd come out with one, since they have them for everything else...apx...kvl...4k....

Guess another brick to add to the overloaded power board.

Double Sigh.

N4KVE

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
The good thing is the Trbo Impress chargers are cheap to buy. GARY

OP
fozz3d

fozz3d

Contributing Member
Just read somewhere that the adaptors for APX can be used for TRBO radios, can someone confirm?

gsxxr1300r

Prolific Contributor
Escomm, who is a Motorola dealer, is stating on Batlabs that the NNTN8169A works in this scenario.

com501

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Mine just flashed at me. Do I need to update the firmware in the MUC? Same thing with my one desk charger I just noticed.....

G

GS4

Not Registered
I'm running 3.4 on the MUC and it charges and displays everything correctly for my PMNN4409AR XPR7550 battery.

If it's just flashing, is your battery bad?

cyrus

Trailer Park Superintendent
Staff member
CS Forums $upporter
Anybody know if this would work on the 6500 series?

com501

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Nope, new battery. Works fine in the 7550 charger and the Impres analyzer says its good. I'll have to check the version in the MUC.

com501

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
And by desk charger, I mean my oldish XTS desk charger when I stick the adapter in that.

Mars

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Confirmed. I'm using one in my MUC on my XPR7550 with no issues whatsoever.
Are you sure it's the NNTN8169A you're using with your MUC and the 7550?

I ordered the 8169A. It fits the SUC no problem. But it will not fit my MUC. My MUC is the WPLN4121BR.

Mars

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Update:

The MUC adapter is NNTN8170A, and it comes in a pack of six. If anyone wants one, shoot Jeff an email -- jeff (at) sandyscomm (dot) com. He has singles available.

I'm also told Moto just jacked up the price of APX MUC/SUC adapters. Nearly $50/each now. What BS.

M

madden

Not Registered
Using this does cause some issues with the internal chip. We ran some tests on these batteries using a fast burst high current power supply and also different chargers, as stated above. You won't notice the difference, unless you start analyzing when and how often the batteries condition themselves. If you have an IMPRES battery data reader, you can see the non-IMPRES charges in the history. So doing this does kind of ruin the battery.

dick33

The NNTN8170A will convert the XTS MUC charger to accept the APX 4000, XPR 7550 radios and batteries. It will also accept the XPR 6550 radio and battery but it will not charge them the battery terminals are just a little off on the outside terminals. Sucks but that is it.

Status