Cobham Wireless (formerly Axell) Closes Immediately

Bill_G

Prolific Contributor
C&P from a former Cobham sales manager now working at a Cobham competitor.

Thought you should know so that you can have a planned response to your customer base. I was George Potter’s first call this am when he got the news that they are “Shutting down” Axell Wireless effective immediately.

I know that this isn’t all that surprising given the decline over these last few years. Apparently the Capitol firm that bought them is also heavily vested in the Hospitality Market, and Covid is bleeding it dry. They opted to shutdown Axell. Production had faltered so much, and most of us sales people left…. Future sales revenue was bleak at best.

If you have a Cobham / Axell BDA, it is now orphaned.

OP
Bill_G

Bill_G

Prolific Contributor
No news whether this effects Aeroflex yet.

kf8yk

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
I thought Cobham spun off Axell earlier this year, shortly after Advent took over Cobham in January.

This shouldn't affect Aeroflex, as the old Cobham/Aeroflex communications test division was sold to Viavi back in 2018.

TRENT310

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Well that's lovely, a brand new idDAS just got commissioned a couple months ago for extended 700MHz coverage in underground pedways and light rail transit system at the capital city here...

OP
Bill_G

Bill_G

Prolific Contributor
I thought Cobham spun off Axell earlier this year, shortly after Advent took over Cobham in January.

This shouldn't affect Aeroflex, as the old Cobham/Aeroflex communications test division was sold to Viavi back in 2018.

So I've learned. Cobham sold to Advent, but the deal caused heartburn with lots of countries depending on their defense products and services. They wanted reassurances their militaries were not going to holding orphaned stuff. So, Advent broke the company into market segments, and then started selling them off. Axell Wireless was purchased by RCapital in mid-2020 who, as mentioned above, is a player in the hospitality biz. That market was destroyed by all the Covid measures this year, and Axell is collateral damage.