Distributed IO/PLCs in automotive use?

Shuttle

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
Hi,
I've got an old (1964) fire engine that I rebuilt some 15 years ago. My friend made a latching relay controller for worklights etc, but it has since given up.
Most ambulances and special vehicles in Finland use a bus-based system that uses distributed IO. I rang the company up and got a quote, 500-1000 EUR. Which in turn, is a bit more than I'd like to spend.
Also, they'd do the programming. Now, where's the fun in that!

Somehow I did not manage to find anything similar on the interwebs, and hence I turn to You.

I'm looking for something with programmable priorities/cutoffs, current monitoring and thus replace fuses + relays. I'd ideally place two io-units, one in the front and the other in the back.
Connection between the two with any twisted pair cable. IIRC there is a cat5 run that's used for rear control-buttons.
As for io-amounts;
  • Front
    • 10-12 inputs
    • 8 outputs (PWM on some)
  • Rear
    • 6-8 inputs
    • 4-6 outputs
These would control interior and exterior lights (interior with PWM dimming), 12V outlets (low-voltage cutoff) via button/switch inputs.
If I get wild, I might even control turn signals and/or driving lights.

Any ideas where one could find these, that work in an automotive environment?

SPECIAL_EYE

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
The one you are looking for and used all over the world is Parker Vansco Multiplexing Module. They also have the IQAN line but it requires a master controller:

The Multiplexing (VMM) line does not have a master slave system and communicates over the automotive J-1939 CAN bus. The connectors are IP67 (sealed automotive). They come in various I/O sizes and are compatible with J-1939 compliant devices (engine, transmission, instrument cluster).

I know your old 1964 fire engine will not have J-1939 CAN bus, but depending on how far the rebuild went it may have a J-1939 engine and or transmission.

Have a look let me know what you think. I have installed them on a pull type combine/tractor with multiple I/O, also programed the ladder logic and it very easy to use, even compared to say Allen Bradly ladder logic programing.

On a final note 500-1000 Euro is about $1200 USD this system should come in under that using a VMM1210 and a VMM0604 but not by much. Systems like this are only inexpensive if you are a manufacture of thousand of units.

OP
S

Shuttle

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
Thanks, both.
That VMM1210 sure seems *just* right. These seem to be available on eBay from time to time used. But then again, adding connectors, usb-adapters will drive the cost up. Bummer :)

OP
S

Shuttle

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
I found vmm1210's for $200 each, but what will the programming tools add up to? Isnthe usb-dla the only way?

SPECIAL_EYE

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
When I had to purchase DLA (data link adapter) in year 2000 it cost $700 Canadian. I have seen other devices that are much more reasonable these days, but you would need to get a driver to work with the VMMs.

Where did you see them for $200? Pretty sure that is below cost. You would also have to get them to sell you the programming software. I would do that first if you do go VMM.