EFJ 5100 FPP Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4KRR

Just acquired an EF Johnson 5100, FPP, model 242-5133-410-BC. Is there any way using only FPP to program a new channel that is shown as "Unprogramd"? It just beeps and doesn't allow me to edit it.

Alpha

T¹ ÆS Ø - Moderator, CS Forums $upporter
Staff member
CS Forums $upporter
No, because the FPP function requires modification of an existing channel. As shipped those radios have NO channels in them (unlike Moto's where you can't delete the last channel so they always have as least 1). You will have to use PCConfigure to program in at least one conventional system and add at least one channel to it in order to do anything with the radio. And, you'll need a programming cable for the 5100, the XTS3000 or XTS5000 ones don't work.

OP
W

W4KRR

No, because the FPP function requires modification of an existing channel. As shipped those radios have NO channels in them (unlike Moto's where you can't delete the last channel so they always have as least 1). You will have to use PCConfigure to program in at least one conventional system and add at least one channel to it in order to do anything with the radio. And, you'll need a programming cable for the 5100, the XTS3000 or XTS5000 ones don't work.

Thanks, that's pretty much what I figured. The radio came with some channels already programmed. I have a programming cable on the way.

One more question: The channels that are already programmed allow me to edit the CTCSS and DCS codes, but only one channel allows me to select the editing of NAC codes. It this because you must use PCConfigure to select whether a channel will be analog or digital? I can't choose NAC as an option on most of the channels.

firemedic

Correct, each channel has to be selected as analog or P25. PC Configure lets you do that on each one. Once the primary information is in, FPP lets you change most all things you would want.

OP
W

W4KRR

One more question: How do you type a period (.) using FPP? The zero key doesn't. :(

K

kd8gua

Try the 1 key. When using text messaging the 1 key cycles through all sorts of characters.

Alpha

T¹ ÆS Ø - Moderator, CS Forums $upporter
Staff member
CS Forums $upporter
On the Motorola's FPP, the # and * keys also roll through various punctuation...

OP
W

W4KRR

ONE more question! The upper freq limit is 470 MHz, is there any way to get it up to 473 or so? Modifying PCConfigure or something similar?

Status
Not open for further replies.