• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

EOL for the Astro 25 Series

Status
S

standardmissile

Not Registered
Does anyone have an idea when Motorola might be issuing an EOL statement for the Astro Spectra Plus, XTS-5000, or XTS-2500 series equipment? I know the legacy Spectras/Sabers are toasted, and the Astro series are left over parts/supplies only, but was curious to see about the first set of Astro 25 gear. I've heard that they do not have a replacement for the APX line, and each generation gets about a 10-15 support cycle before being tossed aside for the latest greatest, so I have no idea what they might do for keeping it supported.

Thanks in advance, and my apologies if this was answered elsewhere already.

Bigfella237

Ø Tactical OTAR Slayer
I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere but... I believe "AN" model ASTRO 25 radios have already had support withdrawn but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the remainder of ASTRO 25 to go EOL just yet.

Motorola are (or at least were until very recently) still selling XTL/XTS gear, several agencies here in Australia have recently upgraded entire radio fleets (of several thousand units) with the older gear, and I'm sure they would expect to receive at least five years of support.

The APX platform has only been around since mid-2008 IIRC so why would they have a replacement for it already?

Avery Johannssenn

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
The only ASTRO25 EOL notifications I can think of have been the 4mb "AN" PR1500/ MT1500 / XTS1500 / XTS2500 radios. I can't imagine they (Motorola) would announce EOL on the XTS5000 at least for another 5 years.

kf4lhp

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Info I've been privy to is an announcement will be made in 2Q 2013 as to last delivery date for XTS5000 and XTL5000 but not for the 2500 and 1500 lines.

gsxxr1300r

Prolific Contributor
If this is any hint as to the future, on the most recent Cancellation Matrix it lists the XTL5000 consolette with a 10/2017 end of support date.

Bigfella237

Ø Tactical OTAR Slayer
Yeah, 2017 feels about right to me but I guess we just wait 'n see.

Status