FIF-12A

Status

Kj553

Prolific Contributor
Does anyone have any experience using these for writing firmware to radios?

when I open the firmware file it gives an option in the top right corner for the FIF-8 or FIF-10, not the FIF-12.

Does anyone know if it will still work? I just want to make sure before I try and write to the radio...I don’t want to brick a radio.

Navy_BOFH

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
IIRC you will select FIF-10. The 10 and 12 were similar in function and appearance. The FIF-8 was an older serial unit that I believe worked similar in the way to a Motorola SmartRIB.

Also - the software will kick you out of firmware write and the radio will reset if it doesn't like what is going on. Luckily in my experience the Vertex radios won't let you do something to totally damage your radio with typical end user interaction.

OP
Kj553

Kj553

Prolific Contributor
IIRC you will select FIF-10. The 10 and 12 were similar in function and appearance. The FIF-8 was an older serial unit that I believe worked similar in the way to a Motorola SmartRIB.

Also - the software will kick you out of firmware write and the radio will reset if it doesn't like what is going on. Luckily in my experience the Vertex radios won't let you do something to totally damage your radio with typical end user interaction.

Tried using the FIF-12 with no luck. Tried changing port numbers and speeds etc but no dice. I ended up getting an FIF-8 and it worked perfectly.

Status