Firmware updates - Mototrbo

radiotechs

Contributing Member
we have approximately 700 radios to firmware update using RM, none of them have unique IP addresses, but wondered has anyone found a way to make it efficient.
We have 5 laptops available, but now thinking of building a rack of computers we take to each site, as these 700 are the first of 5 sites, and in for a long time

phonebuff

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Two solutions -

I you really want to do with cables -- Build a Intel NUC or similar with Windows, Device Programmer. and a programming cable. Duplicate the build times the number of radios you want to do simultaneously. Since the normal issue is the 192 local address each NUC can do one radio with no IP conflicts s between them.

But I would be more apt to stand up a temporary WiFi point and bypass the IP addressing issue.

OP
R

radiotechs

Contributing Member
i think the multiple build may be the only option then, as the location restricts the use of wifi unfortunately, looks like a rack of nuc's is the way to go

Notarola

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Phone buff has a exellent point you could use your own Wifi router. In effect making a WIFI hot spot for your reprograming use.

Radioguy7268

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
If a hotspot isn't called WiFi, and it's just a 2.4 GHz access point for wireless programming, does anybody know the difference?

phonebuff

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
i think the multiple build may be the only option then, as the location restricts the use of wifi unfortunately, looks like a rack of nuc's is the way to go

As @Notarola noted, the customers WiFi policy is somewhat irrelevant here. If you can put a NUC on the network , and the NUC has the 802.11ac capability you can build an AP with the default MSI SSID and DHCP requirements to do your updates on WiFi (use a /22 subnet (1024 hosts) so you don't have to reset the DHCP server.) Your customer should love this as you are saving some 20% to 40% of the time it will take to do this over the cable. (Rather it costs the end customer less or more is up to you.) Of course this means that the subscriber needs the WiFi entitlement.

Note: If you do WiFi check the WiFi "set" in Radio Manager you may want other settings going forward for the customer. In fact it's a good idea to look at them either way.

bigboyblue

However, with the access point / wifi option, is to check if the client has any of the WIPS type solutions deployed - we service a retail chain, and they have exactly this, which kills off any 'rouge' access points that crop up in their zone of their stores.

phonebuff

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
However, with the access point / wifi option, is to check if the client has any of the WIPS type solutions deployed - we service a retail chain, and they have exactly this, which kills off any 'rouge' access points that crop up in their zone of their stores.

With a unique AP / SSID and Device Programmer installed locally on a NUC how would a Wireless Intrusion Protection System "kill off" this environment. It's no different than sitting down at a lunch counter and running your tablet off your cell hotspot.

ac4rw

CS Forums $upporter
With a unique AP / SSID and Device Programmer installed locally on a NUC how would a Wireless Intrusion Protection System "kill off" this environment.
Yes, and if it *does* "kill off" the AP, then isn't that intentionally causing harmful interference? Pretty sure the FCC issued a memo about that at some point in the recent past...

ac4rw

CS Forums $upporter
@phonebuff: yes, indeed. For what it's worth, my question was rhetorical :) though I didn't make that clear...

bigboyblue

With a unique AP / SSID and Device Programmer installed locally on a NUC how would a Wireless Intrusion Protection System "kill off" this environment. It's no different than sitting down at a lunch counter and running your tablet off your cell hotspot.

For some reason, cell hotspot works, but putting a ubiquiti AP off a separate wired broadband connection, gets removed by the WIPS system - the wifi is viewable for approx 30 seconds, and then drops off the list of available access points. This is in the UK, so not sure on our rules about it.

This is in a large retailer thats owned by a US company - tkmaxx. (TJX corp). And was explained to me by their IT team when I called up.

they use this:

Fatboy

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
If it is a large fleet that is not currently in RM, I would have a bank of laptops perform the firmware upgrades first to 2.10.x (in CPS 2.0). Then hand those radios off to one laptop that performs the SUM license recovery (in CPS 2.0). Then feed those to a bank of laptops to upgrade to 202x.x (in CPS 2.0). Then, I would read them into RM via a dedicated laptop and put them into a pile waiting for RM programming.

If the radios are already in RM, then the process just got 4x harder. Basically, you will have to schedule FW updates to 2.10.x for all the radios you plan to work on. Then, you will have to get those radios upgraded to 2.10.x. After the radios are upgraded to 2.10x , but before they can be upgraded to 202x.x, you will have to perform a SUM recovery (or licensing) to enable the capability to go above 2.10. Once this recovery or licensing is complete and written to the radio, only then can you upgrade to beyond 2.10. After the upgrades, you can then program the new info.

In the half dozen or so large systems I have done this on (greater than 2000 subscribers on Connect Plus/Cap Plus), we have used the group function of RM to keep track of what radio are where in the process. We found a ton of RM, OTAP, and WiFi bugs. It was epic.

Good luck! FB

Fatboy

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Oh yeah.... in order to perform SUM (or any) RM license recovery, you must do it from the RM server AND must not have any jobs that are in a funky state (half read radios, half written radios, etc) or the recovery will fail. We ended up doing lice se recovery every 12 hours where we would have to pause all jobs and delete anything that was a partial read or write. We were doing g this over spotty wifi across 32 RF sites in the Arctic Circle......... did you know that many of the oil companies have ham radio clubs and extensive ham shacks in the Arctic Circle aka North Slope? It was nuts! FB.