Florida budget awards P25 deal to L3Harris, requires FirstNet interop

phonebuff

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
So apparently after refusing to negotiate / sign the deal they won the bid for Florida has decided not to give Motorola another bite at the apple. An in the interest of time, money and "safety" is moving forward with a 15 year of the existing contract with conditions, including P25Phase II and FirstNet.

Full Article in Urgent Communications, sure there are others popping up..

MTS2000DES

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
"Citing the need for “emergency action,” Florida legislators are expected to approve a budget that would award L3Harris a 15-year contract to upgrade the Statewide Law Enforcement Radio System (SLERS) to P25 Phase 2 technology without a procurement and require interoperability with the FirstNet broadband system built by AT&T."

Emergency action is another gaslighting smoke and mirrors move to side step the RFP process and allow taxpayers to be shammed and shafted without due process.

And I thought my local school board did some shady shit using COVID as an excuse to give a dubious $12 million dollar contract to a shady company for some infrared lights that don't actually do anything. This is a ripple in a Waffle House toilet bowl after a drunk bar night compared to the mountain of shit the SLERS stuff is.

MotoBill

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Maybe I've got my states mixes up, but correct me if my memory is foggy, and it usually is, but didn't L3Harris fail to show up at the original meeting when the state was to spell out the RFP specifications?? Something to do with Harris not being able to accommodate vehicle repeaters or some such nonsense?

Reactions: ndp
OP
phonebuff

phonebuff

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
From the outside looking in and betting we can only believe about 1/10th of what is published.

Harris, did not agree with the terms of the original RFP, and since they were told to take it or leave it, they left it. Motorola on the other hand accepted the terms, bid the project, negotiated the deal and then decided in December of 2019 / January of 2020 that they did not like the terms either and refused to execute the contact as bid, awarded, negotiated and written. See Postings from that time period in the Lounge........

MotoBill

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Harris, did not agree with the terms of the original RFP, and since they were told to take it or leave it, they left it.

OK, so I wasn't having another senior moment!! Amazing how this went full circle back to L3Harris and the state legislature arriving at the decision this was an "Emergency Action" and that they didn't have time to properly qualify bids and negotiate a contract that's in the best interest of the taxpayers.

Someone ought to be shown the door and kicked to the curb if they truly allowed their system to deteriorate to the point it demands emergency replacement! No frigging accountability what so ever, bend over John Q taxpayer!

CARC383

Prolific Contributor
Hmm, I believe Harris L3 radio division headquarters is in Melbourne, FL. Maybe that has a little to do with the final decision? I'm not up on which company actually has the superior hardware and expertise to install it, but I'm happy to see someone other than Bloatarola win a contract these days.

radioinstl

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
They got what they wanted. They never wanted to do anything but keep paying to Harris.

TRS

Prolific Contributor
Hmm, I believe Harris L3 radio division headquarters is in Melbourne, FL. Maybe that has a little to do with the final decision? I'm not up on which company actually has the superior hardware and expertise to install it, but I'm happy to see someone other than Bloatarola win a contract these days.
Before the L3 and HARRIS merger,Melbourne,FL was the HARRIS corporate headquarters. The PSPC radio division is in Lynchburg,VA and the RF/Tactical radio division is in Rochester,NY.

I don't believe the Melbourne /Palm Bay, or any other Florida facilities, are accredited with any of the development and or manufacturing of the tactical or public safety radios.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
For the amount of money the state of Florida has dished out for statewide communications in the past 30 years, they could have put up a mobile satellite or two, for themselves.

TRS

Prolific Contributor
With the L3 and HARRRIS merger now putting them way up there, on the list of the top US military contractors, with the likes of Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, Northrop Grumman and Boeing. I'm sure they will have much more influence on government in general going forward.

TRENT310

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Politics aside, (which I don't fully understand what's truly going on there anyway) - What's nice about going from EDACS to VIDA P25/BeOn is that the migration gateway can be leveraged to upgrade/downgrade calls, like what was used to facilitate a similar large system transition in my area here.

This would have necessarily been a flash cut if they had opted to switch to an ASTRO25 system, or else audio bridge patches (loss of ANI and audio quality) would have to be used if they wanted partial operation on both during a transition. Also as was stipulated, the subscriber radios could continue to have all 3 systems configured, operating natively on all of them.

gsxxr1300r

Prolific Contributor
With the current status of a lot of the original SLERS towers, with some approaching 30 years old and no longer upgradeable to meet the current EIA/TIA standard, watch L3Harris be instrumental in forcing the state via change orders to build new ones. The current agreement expiration for the towers between L3 and the SOF is in the next few years. This will further lock the state into a non-bid arrangement.

PSEhub

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
The main problem with Harris is simulcasting issues and terrible subscribers. BeOn is great, and the infrastructure overall is great.

If LTE is super important, an XL200P is arguably a better option than APX NEXT.

It would be nice if they could really get their act together on simulcasting software issues.

clbsquared

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Maybe I've got my states mixes up, but correct me if my memory is foggy, and it usually is, but didn't L3Harris fail to show up at the original meeting when the state was to spell out the RFP specifications?? Something to do with Harris not being able to accommodate vehicle repeaters or some such nonsense?
That was for STARS in Virginia