G4KLX has also crippled NXDN

Mars

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Jonathan, G4KLX, the moron who blocked encryption on P25 MMDVM implementations and didn't properly implement the standard with respect to TDUs, Soft ID or anything else which depends on the passive regeneration of P25 frames, also took it upon himself to eliminate support for NXDN 9600bps operation. The only supported NXDN mode is 4800bps. The difference? AUDIO QUALITY.

I discovered this limitation/degradation while researching the prospect of constructing an MMDVM repeater for VHF low-band. Kenwood makes low-band NXDN radios and the concept of constructing a repeater sounded promising -- until the quality limitation was realized.

Not sure what this guy's issue is, but I'm really getting annoyed with him making POOR DECISIONS that impact the entire MMDVM userbase. Fuck this guy.

Wodie

Contributing Member
He like to be the only one that rule the systems, just like BM admins they like to be the king.
I hope someone brings a good competitor to MMDVM.
In the meantime we have MMDVM and real repeaters.

Colt45ws

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I like 4800 because everytime Ive seen it work, it works better as far as range than 9600. I think Low-VHF in 4800 would be unreal.
However, eliminating user choice is really dumb.
Also, the NX5600H low band is 39-50MHz, and D1N won't let you enter OOB. Is there an adjustment for D1N to get it to do that?

OP
Mars

Mars

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I like 4800 because everytime Ive seen it work, it works better as far as range than 9600. I think Low-VHF in 4800 would be unreal.
However, eliminating user choice is really dumb.
Also, the NX5600H low band is 39-50MHz, and D1N won't let you enter OOB. Is there an adjustment for D1N to get it to do that?
I was actually researching the prospect of building a repeater for someone else, who was looking to do something standalone on a commercial pair. They wanted to construct something that would repeat locally. The STM32 MMDVM is great, in the sense it will re-clock everything. It's not like the old discriminator to modulator style interface, such as what Tim (ThePagerGeek) posted on batboard back in 2004-2005. I have profound respect for his contribution back then; I built a pair of those repeaters and they worked great for P25 standalone operation. I couldn't afford a Quantar heh.

Eliminating choice is never a good thing. Especially considering how easy it would be to include support for both modes.