Harris XG/M7300 TG limit

motorcoachdoug

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
Hi
Does anyone know how to increase the amount of TG the radio can hold on a XG/M7300 where the limit is 1024? I am trying to program the MD 1st system plus some of the counties into my unit for when I travel thru out MD and DC.

RU144750-061 REV.L
M/N XG-75M/M7300/M5300 35W
CAGE: 1PNR4 SD: 17092
MODEL MAMW-SDMXX

Natedawg1604

So from what I understand you can order an upgrade for 1024+, Max SYSGRP.

However, from everything I have read RPM only allows you to program a total of 1,024 TG Alpha Tags across ALL systems/groups even with this "upgrade". Presumably this is a hard memory limit of the software.

So, if you get the 1024+ Max SYSGRP, you can enter many thousands of Talkgroup IDs, but you have to re-use Alpha Tags. (If I'm wrong please correct me).

IMO this was the product of really, really lazy programmers or design teams. However I'm guessing very few Harris customers actually order the Max SYSGRP feature and program thousands of TGs with duplicate alpha tags, I would think if a lot of customers actually needed to do this they would have complained and Harris would have modified RPM.

TRENT310

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
On all my radios that are SG# 65535 (0xFFFF in Hex) reported by the Features menu, the limitations still exist at RPM/RPM2. I think it's just equivalent to "no limit" at the radio feature level, but you might not be able to fill it all up at the programming software level. And on top of that, the actual EE/FL size limitation would still apply (enable 'Calculate Personality Size' option).

1637553760810.png

OP
motorcoachdoug

motorcoachdoug

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
Thank you for the info. It looks like then my xg/m7300 will be a MD 1st radio only then to cover the whole state of Maryland and all the counties that are part of the system. My own county Montgomery is not on the MD 1st system due to the huge size and over 400tg's as well.

Forts

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
If you need to monitor that many talkgroups then maybe a scanner such as the SDS-200 would be a better fit?

Reactions: TRS
OP
motorcoachdoug

motorcoachdoug

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
It might be a better fit the SDS200 but due to major quality control issues they are having plus there are other reasons why I do not want to get one as well.

axel

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
If you can deal with the occasional simulcast distortion issues, the BCD996P2 is still a solid scanner. I run one in the truck and the only reason it's not 100% solid is because our county simulcast system is particularly bad when it comes to site overlap and distortion.

Sorry if that's a little O/T to the original discussion

OP
motorcoachdoug

motorcoachdoug

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
I have the BCD996P2 already mounted in my Van along with my apx75k and I agree it is a solid scanner except for simulast trouble..

PSEhub

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Unless you need encryption, I find myself using BC536HP for close capture (436 has UHF self intereference issues) and SDS200 as quick and dirty tech tools quite often. Mostly as fancy frequency counters on the bench. One has not replaced the other for my usage.

If you research the issues and get a good unit in a good serial number range, you can avoid them and end up with a reliable unit.

If you can get the system keys figured out, the XL200M is a great scanner without all of the guess work and extra effort that Motorola requires.

Maybe some day Kenwood will add nonaffilation as well.

BK/Relm uses Etherstack and is just a very poor offering, in the same category as Unication IMO, leaving Harris as the best option.