Here's what not to do...

rescue161

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
It came in because the lightbar would not come on. It looked like a bomb exploded under the passenger's mat.

rescue161

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
We also have had cars that come in from being at a repair shop out in town where they cut into our equipment. Turn on the siren and the windshield washer starts spraying. No idea why they cut into the siren wiring...

Notarola

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
At least someone used loom at some point. What is it with all these new installers dont they know you can trim wires. Its not that hard any good pair of side cutters will do it. Who is trianing these guys????? Even a untrained person would route the wires along the sides of the vehicle and trim off any excess before making the actual connections.

Next we will have posts with wires running strait from the radio to the battery through the air and tight as a string because someone cut them too short.

rescue161

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
What kills me is that they always put the fuse at the device instead of at the battery. The above XG100M in the ambulance shows the glass fuses (which we throw directly in the trash) right at the radio.

Technoweenie

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
At least someone used loom at some point. What is it with all these new installers dont they know you can trim wires. Its not that hard any good pair of side cutters will do it. Who is trianing these guys????? Even a untrained person would route the wires along the sides of the vehicle and trim off any excess before making the actual connections.

Next we will have posts with wires running strait from the radio to the battery through the air and tight as a string because someone cut them too short.

I was working on the Oregon State Radio Project....

The auditor; a state appointed bean counter that had to approve every install, asked if the coax/wires going to the radio was normally that short, and we told him that they're 18ft, and we cut to length and terminate with the appropriate connector, and do the same with the appropriate power wires. And we got yelled at for cutting them. 'We paid for 18ft of wire so we're gonna use 18ft of wire...' Some mobiles were roof mounted on some of the heavy equipment, and the coax was supposed to be maybe 3-4' tops, and he wanted us to coil up the remaining 14' of coax... Ditto with the power leads. All because of his naive argument of 'what if we need to relocate the radio?'.... Some of the installs required a remote head, but the radio was mounted in the console, 6" away.... So, use the shortest CANBUS cable you can, right? NOPE! 'Use the 20ft cable, that's what it came with' says the auditor.

Same guy wanted us to drill through structural steel on dozers and front end loaders... The ROPS isn't designed to have holes punched into it, not to mention it's 1/2" steel in some places... We actually had to get a letter from CAT saying 'DO NOT DRILL INTO THE STRUCTURAL SUPPORTS!' in order for him to stop complaining about how we were running the wire. Dude wanted us to compromise critical safety equipment so the wires would be hidden better. He also wanted the antennas mounted to the top of the bed, on dump trucks, on an articulating mount like their lightbar was.... I got a VERY stern look from my boss, when I couldn't help but laugh out loud... AND wanted the antenna on the roof of a vactor, with an articulating boom that sweeps over the roof. I had to get creative with that one... Then I got yelled at for putting in drip loops before it entered the cab, because it 'looks funny'...

F#%(&ng accountants...

com501

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Next time add an extra zero to your quotes.

Notarola

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
LOL I have seen so much construction equipment with mashed antennas because booms and other stuff are hitting it. Now I wish I had taken a picture of a install I saw recently. The antenna a NMO VHF 1/4 wave had been mounted correctly but the guys who did the lightbar just bent the antenna over so they could mount the lightbar in the center of the roof. Which they did right on top of the now bent over antenna.

Bill_G

Prolific Contributor
Some rework from different contractors. These photos ended that contract.
That is a total WTF install. Worse than power bag. If it worked when they were done, I would be surprised. Prolly had the famous 30/30 warranty - thirty feet or thirty seconds, whichever comes first.