• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

XTS5000 HMN4084A Commander mic - repeated double chirp?

BWilliams

CS Forums $upporter
Have a HMN4084A Commander mic that when connected to any XTS5000 will regularly emit double chirps. All the buttons work as expected, audio in both directions, etc, but I can't track down what's causing the beeps.

Same behavior on hosts 16.00.00 and 20.50.09, very different codeplugs, can't come up with any commonalities aside from the mic itself.

Any leads would be appreciated.

axel

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
If I'm remembering right there's actually an internal battery in those mics for the GPS stuff. I think the idea was that the radio would keep the mic charged during normal operation.

I could be 100% off base. Never used on personally but I vaguely recall some chatter on this exact subject years ago either here or over on batlabs.

OP
B

BWilliams

CS Forums $upporter
This seems to be the lead I needed. I left the mic connected to a powered up radio for a few hours and came back to it and it's not chirping anymore. So I suspect that got the battery charged back up.

Thanks axel!

jry

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
There was a note in the documentation about leaving those microphones attached to the radio while charging to keep the internal GPS battery charged as well.

If the microphone was detached or the radio battery removed than the internal battery would keep the GPS alive.

I think this was an early version GPS chip set that took awhile to get synced up and the battery was there to keep the GPS alive and synced while the radio was down to minimize the time it took to come back online.

wildberry

I had a hard time keeping that battery charged even with keeping the radio on all the time and swapping the battery out. So i swapped the RSM to a commander II non GPS, and was super happy