Hytera Quality

Jim1348

Prolific Contributor
I am a blank slate on Hytera. I have never used Hytera equipment. However, I am now getting interested in the Hytera PDC760. Can anybody here give me some sort of idea on Hytera quality, generally, or the Hytera PD760, specifically?

Keith

T¹ ÆS Ø - Moderator
CS Forums $upporter
I have one. They are ok. I don't know that they are better or worse than the similar Mother M offerings for basic DMR functionality.
But I am pretty Brand loyal. Have been since before I was involved with being a commercial radio tech. Ending up at a Motorola shop was a good thing for me.

Colt45ws

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
The repeaters are solid. Never even had a PA burn out on a 5 site system with high duty cycle. Have had a few mobiles end up with a reciever blown out. I dont know if thats because it happened to be next to another bus that was TX'ing. But, maybe 3 in 3 years with 100 in service. The portables have had more issues. Some of them seem to just drop dead for some reason. Wont turn on at all no matter what you do. Send them in and depot puts a whole new board in them. I think about a dozen in 3 years out of 300 portables have had this happen.

mitaux8030

Contributing Member
I've picked apart a TD360 (Chinese domestic version of Hytera PD362) and converted it to a PD365i. Build quality of the PCB and components is superb, equal to Moto quality there IMO. Software is also quite good. Interestingly, the hardware was made in the USA... so it's a Chinese designed radio, made in the USA, and exported back to the Chinese for their domestic consumption. But as gMan above points out, Hytera have recently been declared persona non grata in the USA now, with a very uncertain medium term future.

SPECIAL_EYE

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
gMan1971,

I suppose a networked DMR radio system could get on the internet, but if it's properly commissioned it should never be able to get on the internet. What about a DMR repeater that has Hytera hardware, but no internet connection, how does it call China?

I think the law is aimed at cell switch equipment and Hytera go lumped in somehow.

techman

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Company I contract for have hytera deployed at one site, in the tropics at a five-star resort located on the Great Barrier Reef, their painters are usually busy keeping rust down and suites looking smicko due to closeness to sea spray - they have hytera PD7 radios operating 12 to 18 hours a day for 8 years. Most are still in the original batteries with a 2013 manufacturing date, batteries are still holding in at 7 to 9 hours with normal use. Some radios have come back for repairs.... after being run over by tractors, dropped in fuel or staff picking at the covers and removing knobs. minimal water ingress so far which has meant no write-off due to damaged main board. Compareing to other manufactures - they walked away from trbo gen one and some early gen2 - primarily cost and failing radios.

They also have icom marine radios, these are replaced about 2 to 3 years but they get dunked in saltwater and not cleaned in freshwater correctly. Not a bad run for Japanise made kit.

This environment is harsh and some of the staff try and outdo the environment. 8 years is good going.

Over the years, Hytera software has got a hell of a lot better (since purchasing Supera, no subscription model yet) hardware must be solid, they are replacing the PD/MD/RD series this year with HP/HM/HR series. The previous version has had an 11 year manufacturing run for the oldest models.

We have also deployed 50 or 60 RD repeaters, only issue - a couple of PA's due to maybe lighting or component failure, PA is available as a spare, about $450 aud, if they fail, basically drop in new PA, follow install notes, testing and walk away.

On the political front, Hytera (I suspect a lot of other Chinese tier 1 tech companies) would like to engage in the US market but due to political risk, they are focusing on countries that are not under the 5 eyes/G7 thumbs.

chanjyj

CS Forums $upporter
I asked, but nobody can give me pricing for the new HM/HP models or availability. I have to say the new repeater looks promising.

techman

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I asked, but nobody can give me pricing for the new HM/HP models or availability. I have to say the new repeater looks promising.
I have not seen any official pricing but the local hytera staff indicate pricing is around the as an existing like to like model.

New repeater looks good, I was informed some time ago the unit has the ability to run SIP gateways and has app modules to be added at a later date.

If they do deliver the ability to add more functionality to the repeater via software. Publish API and howto doco... I wonder is a group can code up a RAS opensource app to run on the repeater.........

PSEhub

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I wonder is a group can code up a RAS opensource app to run on the repeater.........
The best solution IMO is to just implement regular 'ole DMR encryption support in the repeater

And if none of the keys in repeater match what subscriber has, it won't (continue to) key up.

Sure this isn't ideal, but its a whole lot better than nothing, and would work across all vendors subscribers.

Jarocket

The lowest end mobiles are all I of HYT around here. They don't seem to be that nice. I've fixed one with bad receive, it has the same issue the Kenwoods/icom/vertex have with the ceramic filters. easy to fix. Programming them was something I was warned not to attempt because version mismatches had caused an issue for a colleague

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
gMan1971,

I suppose a networked DMR radio system could get on the internet, but if it's properly commissioned it should never be able to get on the internet. What about a DMR repeater that has Hytera hardware, but no internet connection, how does it call China?

I think the law is aimed at cell switch equipment and Hytera go lumped in somehow.
So, what do you want me to tell you? That I don't know how it would be possible?, but then again, just because I don't know it doesn't mean it can't be done, or that its done already.

Also, I think I've heard someone here at CS say that certain chips were made in a particular way to respond to certain RF pulses or something like that, I think.... and then, IIRC, when the war started in Desert Storm they sent EC-130s to disable the chips...

again... I wouldn't use Hytera even for target practice...

G.