Icom ID-5100 digital crossband operation.

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Hi there,
So, I've searched all over the internet for a definitive answer on this matter, but it seems, like most interweb these days, results are inconclusive, so I figured I'd ask here.

This document seems one of the best sources that indicate the ID-5100 can do it, but not sure what the differences are between the 5100 and the 5100A (region?)

Based on that information, and other little tidbits I've read, seems like the ID-5100 is one of the very few radios that can do Digital C4FM crossband operation.

I know that being a ham radio it will suffer from issues due to the wider open front end, etc, but I already have preselectors/cavities to deal with that...

Has anyone done this?

Thanks in advance.

G.

OP
gMan1971

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Some things come to mind, so far.

There is a Facebook group devoted to the Icom ID-5100. It might be worth looking around there, joining and posting that question. https://www.facebook.com/groups/498988960228934

I could have sworn that Death-Star is actually GMSK, not C4FM.

Well, thanks!!

Read the FB ground, and it certainly looks like, if placed in both 25k FM crossband, it will pass any digital C4FM modulation... so, I might pick one up, give it a spin. I am absolutely shocked nobody has done this for commercial application, for a delivery van fleet having a small SL7550 for the driver and a van repeater to contact the warehouse... for any of the C4FM digital modes, DMR, P25, et. alll...

G,

Astro Spectra

T¹ ÆS Ø - Moderator, CS Forums $upporter
Staff member
CS Forums $upporter
DSTAR is GMSK. Two level fsk, C4FM is four level fsk.

If the frequency response of the coupling mechanism is flat enough and the squelch opens it might repeat modes other than analog FM. YMMV.

Why would people not do this on commercial bands? The ID-5100 is a ham rig and is not approved for Part 90 usage.

OP
gMan1971

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
@Astro Spectra

Well, I am just exploring all options here. And yes, thank you for pointing out its not a Part90 radio... but then again, Motorola and most radio manufacturers are just too limited with single band operation, and forcing the users into repeater-duplex operation when there is a frequency split for DMR. The only exception for this single band commercial situation is the APX lineup, but even those APX flagships seemingly lack any digital crossband functionality. In addition to that, there is the cost factor, and the fact that installing APX8500 multiband radios on food delivery vans seems totally overkill, especially when the radio itself might be more expensive than the van its installed on.

So far I've managed to build some sort of UHF->VHF DV DMR bridge with a pair of CDM750s, using a 10k pot, Data PTT, etc with a homebrew cable, but the BER is quite high on the other side, which is the reason why I am exploring every possible alternative.

Thanks.

G.

sarguy1941

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
What is the end goal ? You can grab a UHF XPR on ebay for under $1000 every day. Drop the repeater on the warehouse and give the guy an HT in the van. If this is a business part 90 or cell phones...

Reactions: ndp
OP
gMan1971

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Hi,
So, the end goal is to have the driver carry a low power SL7550, which talks to the van, and the van uses an UHF to VHF bridge to send things far away , and the warehouse will have a VHF to UHF bridge with a few SL7550 on each office, so the people in the building can talk to the drivers.

This is how the setup that was in place worked, and worked very well, it was easy to maintain but it was FM... so.

G.

MTS2000DES

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I'm intrigued. I have a 5100A (at Icom now in Washington, left side RX is out due to a broken speaker jack). They're blaming COVID but what else is new. Would love to try this idea of P25 repeating. I have a VHF Quantar and plenty of UHF P25 portables to play with. Icom is claiming "COVID-19" and a "tech has my radio" and to "give them a couple of weeks"...

OP
gMan1971

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Awesome, in theory, it should repeat C4FM, and I've seen a couple of youtube videos, claiming so, but then again, no description on how they did it...

COVID... well, lol, lets not go there, right? hahhaa

Eagerly awaiting your results, thanks for being willing to try this.

G.