• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

Impres Battery First Used Date

Status

Geekdad

Contributing Member
I'm confused... How does an Impress Battery learn or get it's first Used date? Is it programmed at the factory when the date code is created?

I have a new PMMN4544A that I bought last November with a Date Code of 1934 which places it the week of Nov 19th to the 25th 2019. When reading it from the radio the First Used Date shows 11/19/2019.

A second new battery, PMMN4489A with a Date code of 2004 (1/20 to 1/26 of 2020) shows a First Used date of November 26th 2019 when read from the radio. I purchased it in late November 2019.

These dates are programmed into the battery at the factory, right?

N4KVE

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
A few years ago I bought some NOS Impres batteries. I charged them up, & that date was the “first used” date. It also had a made on date, which is when the battery was actually manufactured. These dates are shown when I put the battery in the Impres analyzer. But I have no idea how the battery knows the date when I first charged it. GARY.

OP
Geekdad

Geekdad

Contributing Member
This past Saturday (4/18) I received a brand new Motorola PMNN4077D for an XPR6550. The date code is 2009 which places it end of February. After going through the initial condition/charge cycle for 24 hours on the charger the radio reads the first used date as April 21st, 2020 which is darned close to the day I put it in the radio for the first time.

Coincidence or ???

com501

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I thought the first used date is when the battery received its first Impres charge cycle.

TRENT310

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I've also experienced new-old-stock batteries which had completely discharged while in storage, fast flash when first inserted into a charger, later they come up in the IMPRES data reader as January 1970, which is the Unix style time epoch. So it seems like it uses counter ticks, but if it dies and it's not a real RTC so it just starts counting from the last known value. I've also tried backdating a radio "last written" date with an airgapped computer and then plugging in a new battery to it to prove that it isn't reading the date off the radio.

I hope they're not using this as the authoritative source for determining warranty period, but perhaps only as a secondary data source on a warranty claim that is submitted without proof of purchase? That said Motorola has also come out with different warranty coverage tiers based on exclusive IMPRES 2, IMPRES (1), or non-IMPRES use, and it seems like the internal chip would support that information for their own purposes. I think the smart battery management technology tends to be of more financial benefit to the manufacturer (being able to weasel out of warranty claims) and being able to sell more replacement batteries than otherwise (using fleet management reports to recommend replacement), and less so to the end-user where the only tangible benefit is accurate runtime estimation/low battery alerting.

OP
Geekdad

Geekdad

Contributing Member
I thought the first used date is when the battery received its first Impres charge cycle.

I thought so too but none of this is making any sense. The dates I'm seeing as read from the batteries are all over the place. I didn't think the radios learned the date and time from CPS. How could it be maintained with no battery attached?

The only thing I can think of is the battery has a date programmed in at the factory and that's what the radio is reading. It just seems Motorola is just guessing at when they think the battery will be used and putting that in.

I was hoping to find a good tech article on Impres but no luck so far.

Pat

CS Forums $upporter
Check out this older post of the manual from the IMPRES battery reader: https://communications.support/threads/8969-IMPRES™-Battery-Data-Reader-6875795C01-Revision-D. Lots of interesting information on the batteries themselves towards the end of the manual. If you're not able to read it from here (I can't myself due to not having enough posts yet) here's a snippet from an older revision of the manual that may answer your question:

IMPRES batteries contain a real-time clock. This clock is also referred to as the Elapsed Time Meter (ETM). The clock is set when the battery is manufactured. The Data Reader ensures the accuracy of this clock. This clock is used as a reference to determine the Present Charge, Date of First Use, Days Since Last Reconditioning/Calibration, Days Since Removal from IMPRES Charger, and Estimated Days Until Next Reconditioning/Calibration.

OP
Geekdad

Geekdad

Contributing Member
Thanks! I didn't think I could download it but it worked. Now to dig into the manual....

opfor2

Contributing Member
I thought that the IMPRES data reader updates the internal battery clock every time it's read?

Status