• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

Impres Battery Fleet Manager

dispatcher440

We are looking at implementing Motorola's Impres Battery Fleet Manager within the next month for our radio system. The software will be installed on the same computer as the Radio Management Database and control station we use for OTAP. Is it possible to use a single control station for both OTAP and the battery fleet manager or do I have to have a separate control station for each program. I tried looking in the Trbo System planner and I didn't see a clear answer on this, the only thing I saw is that both programs can be installed and running on the same computer together.

phonebuff

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
From my experience with this software I would say change your plans immediately !!

Both use the MS SQL server functionality under the covers and installing them both on the same instance created any number of issues and we eventually had to split them to separate Windows Instances in the VM farm. We also found it 100% more effective to use the Charger base Interface coupler than we did the Over the Air Interface.

I now ask my customers to do multiple separate VMs . One for Radio manager, one for DDMS/MNIS/OTAP and others as needed. (Done as many as five) . Much of Motorola's code is developed in a Silo and the left does not know what the right is doing and of course Windows software maintenance can take down portions of the infrastructure at the worse times.

If you are running MNIS to supervise the Control Station you can use the forwarding under the Advanced Panel to route the battery data to another server.
CPS/ RM General --> Network Services --> Battery Management Services ID (MNIS/Control Station ID)
MNIS Advanced --> Network --> Services --> Battery Management UDP Port (4012)
MNIS Advanced --> Forwarding Rules --> Port Forwarding (4012)

Depending on how many radios and what your system topology looks like you may be over loading a single Control station with OTAP & BBM running across it. Can you not justify the Wireline EIDs ?

You will find a lot of data here, but in the past I have had to open a case to get the "Current" release of software and you need / needed the license packages for this to work.

Good Luck --

brett

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
Recently been looking at deploying IMPRES Battery Fleet Manager centrally as well.
I've used 3.4.1 for the longest time for myself, and just took a look at the recent release 3.5.0 that is posted publicly on Moto's site.

Noted the following in the release notes:

Important Notes:
Removed support for IMPRES Battery Data Reader, IMPRES 1 Charger Interface Unit and IMPRES 2 Single Unit Charger.
Removed support for using single unit chargers!
I most of the time used the CIU for single unit IMPRES 1 chargers and the NNTN8870 cord for the single unit IMPRES 2 single unit chargers.

Placing a micro computer and a single unit charger in an available location in a front office was going to be so convenient.
Now either just a MUC charger or OTA?
Not tested the CIU for an IMPRES 1 MUC to see if that will still work in 3.5.0.

Full release notes for 3.5.0 below.
IMPRES Battery Fleet Management 3.5.0 added few enhancements and fixes as below:

Enhancements:
  • Added current radio ID range selection and last known radio ID range selection in Custom Report Generation Tool.
  • Added Current Radio with Battery Health Data and Last Known Radio with Battery Health Data options in Request Status menu in Radios and Batteries table to display the rows with both Radio ID and battery health data so that the user can sort the Health column in order to find the radios with low percentage battery health.
  • Display only relevant items in the Legend section of charts and add text that shows the Legend item and number of batteries when we hover over the bar.
  • Added Last Known Radio feature to track the last radio a battery is associated with when the radio changes batteries.
  • Set the initial radio alias to the Friendly Name of the radio in IMW configuration for ASTRO radios.
  • Keep details of custom reports on new BFM package installation.
  • Enhanced charger firmware update feature with parallel reprogramming and download latest UpdateFile.xml and charger firmware from MSI server.
Defects Fixed:
  • Fixed manual request feature issue in Radios and Batteries table where manual request timeout when multiple manual request buttons are clicked in a short period of time.
  • Fixed the issue where some IMPRES chargers are not displayed in Device Monitor when multiple IMPRES chargers are connected to PC through USB hub.
Important Notes:
  • Removed support for IMPRES Battery Data Reader, IMPRES 1 Charger Interface Unit and IMPRES 2 Single Unit Charger.
  • Removed firmware reprogramming capability for DUC and GEN2 Entry Tier Charger.
  • For Current Radio ID and Last Known Radio ID fields, "Begins With" operator in Custom Report Generation Tool refers to greater than or equals to the radio ID in the textbox whereas "Begins With" operator in Filter window (Funnel icon) refers to the first few digits of the radio ID in the textbox; "Ends With" operator in Custom Report Generation Tool refers to lesser than or equals to the radio ID in the textbox whereas "Ends With" operator in Filter window (Funnel icon) refers to the last few digits of the radio ID in the textbox.