• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

IMPRES battery not recognized by radio.

Status

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Hi, I just purchased a PMNN44068BR battery, code 1725 ATGB

On my PMPN4283A charger, the LCD reads a serial #, but it doesn't show as IMPRES nor IMPRES 2 battery like on every other battery I have. In addition it doesn't show number of uses, or calibration, etc. Instead of IMPRES 2 it recognizes battery as MOTOROLA SLN...

Serial # on the LCD display matches the serial number of the sticker.

Could this be a counterfeit battery?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

G.

Last edited:

foxtrotdelta

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Probably not counterfeit but the IMPRES chip might've failed being it's 4 years old. I just had an officer come in to our shop who mentioned that his radio would complain about having an unknown battery. It too had a 2017 date code (but was actually manufactured late 2016) and the radio BATT menu and IMPRES chargers with displays didn't know how to interpret it but our IMPRES 2 Reader software could.

It had a high charge cycle count and also noted the chip failure. Do you know the history of that battery and do you have access to the reader?

OP
gMan1971

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Don't have access to a reader, yet, but looks like I'll be getting one to determine why batteries act weird sometimes.

Also, there seems to be Motorola batteries that don't use IMPRES, that are actually cheaper... The PMNN44068B (without R) that one is IMPRES, but the BR ones (turns out I have 2, none are IMPRES, yet both are recognized as Motorola Solutions batteries, with serial #)

Thanks for the help.

G.

foxtrotdelta

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
You've got too many digits in the model number. Are you referring to the PMNN4406 batteries? The letters at the end generally indicate revisions but I believe all of those should be IMPRES.

OP
gMan1971

gMan1971

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
PMNN4406B seems to be IMPRES, the PMNN4406BR does not. I have two of those and both come up on the LCD display as Motorola Solutions Battery, but not IMPRES (also there is no IMPRES logo on the back, nor on the sticker, but everything else is identical to the PMNN4406B, if they are counterfeit they are very well made, b/c even the charger reads and displays the correct serial # that matches the sticker... etc.

G.

Status