• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

Industrial Noise Canceling (INC) Mic - Analog Performance

PSEhub

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Do you already have these mics? If not, don't buy them, you will be disappointed. They work great in a laboratory used by skilled radio techs, however the amount of user training and mic usage discipline makes them a poor choice for real world applications.

I do not fine them to work well on analog.

You have to talk into them at a sort of perfect angle to ensure your voice hits 1 mic before the other, or it cancels you out.

They are not idiot proof, like the XE500 + APX.

I also do not recommend any NC Trbo mics. Stick with windporting, or PMMN4069 and PMMN4099 for a nicer speaker.

For extreme noise, XE500 + APX is your only option. Nothing else from any other manufacturer can touch it. It is heavier than a baofeng however.

The XP and XV are shallow and garbage acoustically. Same with the RM780 ION/Tetra mic.

These new shallow bodied mics from Motorola are really a downgrade, and should be avoided. They are worse than NMN6191

Last edited:

hockeyref2

Contributing Member
Ive used the PMMN4071 which is noise cancelling (but not industrial) for the xpr3300 series. They do noise cancel in analog. Going along with PSEhub, they are utter junk... They are even worse with basic noise suppression enabled, and terrible with advanced (SINC+)... both analog and digital. They also seem to fail rapidly. I found that the PMMN4073 (windporting) with basic noise suppression does much better in analog. Digital seems to be similar with the testing I have done. This is in an industrial setting with 90+dB exposure and double hearing protection areas.

TRENT310

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I have about 50 NNTN8383B deployed which are the dual-mic INC RSM, with XPR7550IS (CSA IS) models and along with enhanced auto noise suppressor in a mixed DMR/analog application they work fine as long as the users talk into them properly (across the mics, not directly into the face of it, and not talking facing away from the mic while holding it somewhere else). If users don't hold mics properly there's no real technology/software/firmware fix for not bringing enough signal-to-noise to the input of the device. They will make analog transmission audio more "robotic" sounding due to the aggressive processing.

No, it's not quite the APX XE500, but they're also not priced at that level either. And the XE mics DO work on TRBO radios, by the way. They have the notched hook accessory connector vs. the APX-only models which do not have the notch. If intrinsic safety ratings are a critical factor though obviously the approved, recommendable configurations are limited.

PSEhub

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
XE500 (PMMN4106/4107) are not compatible with Trbo unless you know some secret.

When XE500 is attached to Trbo radio if its already on, you get invalid accessory. If attached before power on, you'll get a permanent red light, a max of 2 PTTs, then the radio will freeze and become completely unresponsive. XPR6550 reboots all by itself and keeps boot looping until mic is removed, while XPR7550 will just sit frozen indefinitely.

I believe the old now discontinued XE mic may have worked with 2.0 only (not xpr6550?)

XP works, including volume control, however the catch is the version with 3.5mm jack is missing the slot in order to fit onto trbo (NMN6274), so you'll need to either order the version without 3.5 or swap around cables.

Its also possible Motorola has shipped non-slotted cables with different revisions of the XP, however if you find a cable that fits, the mic head will work properly.

Last edited:

jelimoore

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
XE500 (PMMN4106/4107) are not compatible with Trbo unless you know some secret.
For reference, my XE RSM (NNTN8203A) works great with my XPR7550s. I have not tested noise cancelling but all of the buttons work great and I do not get an invalid accessory message.

That makes me wonder though, if you could convert an XE500 to work with an XPR. I don't doubt it's possible given how the RSMs interface with the radio.

PSEhub

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Even if it did work, I wouldn't trust a configuration that Motorola hasn't put any effort into. The XE500 has 5 microphones, which is very different from any officially supported Trbo accessory. It also pulls a LOT of power. There is a reason APX900s and 4000s aren't shipped with the same batteries as the XPR7550. I don't even really trust the XP mic on Trbo.

On the APX4000 for example, on some radios you will see the LCD backlight visibly dim when receiving transmissions at loud volumes with the XE500. Motorola only officially supports this mic on the APX6000 and 8000, perhaps there is a real reason why.

The XE500 also has slightly lower output and slightly more distortion at high volumes when used with the APX900 and APX4000 vs BN 6000 or 8000.

With Motorola you're best off staying in the top 10% of common configurations and usage scenarios, and even then you can't trust their software until you've vetted it yourself.

Last edited:

jelimoore

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I definitely don't think it would be good real world, but more as a "can I do this" experiment. That is an interesting remark with the LCD dimming though.