KCH-20R Mic Extension Clicking

axel

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Figured I'd poke the hivemind here for some suggestions.

I recently redid my mobile setup, and added a shielded run of cat 6 to extend my dual-brick mic down from the overhead console into the center console. Less wires hanging around, cleaner, etc.

However, now I've got a nice annoying clicking sound coming from my mic audio. Sounds very similar to the amateur-side V71/D710 mic clicking issues. Guessing it's a data line from somewhere mixing in with the tx audio. I specifically made sure to use shielded cat 6 for the run to avoid as much interference as possible, but it looks like it's found me anyway.

https://soundcloud.com/user-486167826%2Fmic-clicking (sidenote - SD card recording of tx & rx audio is super handy)

Interestingly, several people on the NX5000 FB group have said they've used standard runs of cat 6 without issues. So I'm guessing it's not a data line on the same twisted pair as the mic audio. Checking the mic pinout confirmed that too. Wondering if anyone on here has fought with this and come up with any easy fixes. The only thing I can think of at this point is that my mic extension parallels the control head cable for a decent amount of its length. However, I would think the shielding on the mic cable would take care of any interference from outside the cable.

OP
axel

axel

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I'll see if I can grab a clip of straight silence tomorrow. I think the soundcloud compression might be messing with things and making it harder to hear. I agree though, listening to that recording again it's basically nonexistent. Could be some kind of hyperfixation thing going on too. I definitely have received a few reports of clicking in my audio though, so OTA it's at least noticeable.

Colt45ws

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
I guess my suggestion would be to get another cable of the same length and run it free air and see if its still there. Then you know if those noise is inside the cable or something adjacent to where you ran it. Also, even though its shielded cat6, I think your shield is gonna end up floating, so it may be making it worse, not sure. Normally the shield grounds via the metal sleeve around the 8P8C jack. The KCH doesnt have that provision. On the mic end, if you are running a F/F junction to plug the mic into, consider converting to a punchdown jack. Punchdown the pairs as normal, and then punch the ground wire down to pin 3, which is ground. Probably want to double check that of course.