KNG MDC1200 ID Alias List

Dirk Diggler

Contributing Member
I looked around the forum and it doesn't appear that anyone has asked this before but... is it possible to program alias lists in the KNG or KNG2 radios? I don't see anywhere to do this in the software but its possible I am just over looking it.

The radio does decode MDC data bursts but in a weird format with a lot of extra characters. I just want it to display "SQUAD 1" when it sees an MDC1200 of 157A, etc.

ndp

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Yep. Defined on a per-System basis. Click on "Unit ID Alias List" box on the right side in RES. This list will also work for the Call Alert menu on the radio.

Quick example below.

1613439633910.png

OP
Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler

Contributing Member
Yep. Defined on a per-System basis. Click on "Unit ID Alias List" box on the right side in RES. This list will also work for the Call Alert menu on the radio.

Quick example below.

View attachment 15158
I have put P25 unit ID’s there and they successfully show up on the display. Are you sure this is for MDC?

ndp

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I have put P25 unit ID’s there and they successfully show up on the display. Are you sure this is for MDC?
Yes. I've got 100+ MDC IDs aliased in my radio. If you use that same system for your P25 and your analog channel with MDC they will be the same across both modes - both will pull from that list to alias. I use separate systems for digital and analog though.

OP
Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler

Contributing Member
Yes. I've got 100+ MDC IDs aliased in my radio. If you use that same system for your P25 and your analog channel with MDC they will be the same across both modes - both will pull from that list to alias. I use separate systems for digital and analog though.
Thanks! I will give it a shot. The help files is deceiving because it makes it sound like this list is for P25 only... oh well. Time to get typing.

ndp

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Yep. The RES documentation is not the greatest. I figured that too, but found by trial and error that they were the same. One of the things I greatly prefer from the APX is the Unified Call List concept. I wish they implemented a similar feature in RES.

If you're looking to save time, you can export the alias list into excel, modify it, and re-import it.

OP
Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler

Contributing Member
Awesome idea. I forgot RES can do that! So much easier since I already have it all in Excel.

Reactions: ndp
OP
Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler

Contributing Member
I has zero luck with using the import feature but everything is working as you described after manually hand jamming it all in. Thanks again

Reactions: ndp