Manual for RLN4460A

Status

jry

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
ran into that volume issue on he R2670 a few years ago ....believe it to be a feature of the later firmware and P25/ FDMA option. it's there on all of them ...not sure if it was specific to the B's or both vintages.

Auto-Test on the R2670 is really just that ...testing with some alignments.

Power level is not adjusted as well as bias values etc ....

It is what it is ....I really just use it as a QA check on units before sending back to the customer ...for that it's great.

MotoBill

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
The XTS5000 AutoTest software that I've been using is Version 1.2.2.0 with a release date back to 2007. I don't know if there were any newer releases for the R2670's but this particular version was not very well thought out. No alignment or even any benchmarking to check front-end alignment on models that require such alignment.

I have found a bug, there's probably several of them. AutoTest doesn't necessarily initialize the analyzer properly. In one of my test runs today, I observed the RF input warning message telling me to increase attenuation! I immediately aborted the test run and manually set the RF attenuator to 40 dB before restarting the test.

The internal voice modulation test is a joke! This is the test where you have to hold the radio near the speaker in the analyzer then key the mic and adjust the analyzers volume control to obtain 4 KHz deviation of feedback. How scientific is this? This test sometimes fails if you don't hit the right feedback frequency.

I agree that this older test software is good for a QA checks, but it leaves a lot to be desired for anything else. I been retired for a while and haven't seen any of the new service monitors optioned with AutoTest, but wonder how well it works?

Does anyone know if General Dynamics ever releases anything newer that V 1.2.2.0 of their XTS5000 AutoTest software package?

OP
W

wiredwrx

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Michael,

When time allows, will you please run SINAD and Noise Squelch tests on the XTS5K and note the test frequencies for each as sent to the R2670 by AutoTest? You might also run the receiver BER test to see what pattern AutoTest is commanding of the R2670 as well. When time allows today, I plant to setup my 2670 and run the same battery of tests on a couple of XTS5K's to see how mine stacks up against your results.

Bill

As it stands, I have a little time these days :)

OP
W

wiredwrx

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
The XTS5K BSM section 5.4 gives the information on the issues you are looking for. Table 5.5 in that section gives specific instructions for each test. Note that for the squelch test you must set the volume control for audio output at a specified level and that you must be on a convention channel, not P25. The BER test is on the next page, table 5.6. Hope this helps get you pointed in the right direction, together with the info from the HP authority, JRY above.

I will RTFM a little closer. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

OP
W

wiredwrx

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Michael,

I just completed running AutoTest on a two XTS5000's, one on UHF and the other on 700/800 MHz. Both radios passed all tests.
Screen capture and test results from the UHF test posted below.

My service monitor is the General Dynamics branded R2670B that has the following firmware:
STANDARD - V7.02.I01
PROJ 25/ASTRO/SNET - v6.11.H00
DISPLAY - V01.03.00

Two comments that may or may not have relevance to your test failures...

One, AutoTest prompts your to adjust the volume control to obtain a voltage of between 1 and 3.5 volts AC.
The test software generates a full quieting signal with tone modulation with the voltmeter displayed to facilitate operator adjustment.

Two, my R2670 at boot up into Standard test mode has reduced speaker volume that is evident when opening the squelch on the service monitor in Monitor mode.
I have found that if I toggle the test mode to Project 25 and then back to Standard that the volume from the speaker is normal. I believe this to be a firmware bug, but who knows? I can't say that it necessarily impacts any of the demodulated audio voltage measurements, it's just something that I do on power-up to eliminate that possibility.

Notice that AutoTest did not perform receiver front-end alignment even though the UHF model tested requires such alignment! I guess they didn't figure that it mattered?

I'd appreciate it if you'd post test results from one of your XTS5000's for comparison.

I'll try and post something tomorrow.

MotoBill

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Michael,

No need to note the test frequencies used for the SINAD and Noise Squelch tests as there documented in the test results. Additionally, the result only records the signal generator level into the receiver and does not provide any data from the AC voltmeter. Still, it gives you a good indictor of the receiver's overall sensitivity.

Bill

fred83002

If it fails BER on a particular frequency, look at your spectrum analyzer and see if there is anything in the frequency range that it is failing. Here at our shop we have a tower nearby that radiates in the 480 to 500 Mhz range and i have to put radios in a box to get them to pass test.

Status