• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

XPR5550e Mini UHF

toolman60

Contributing Member
Hello All,

I went to install my 5550e today and found the threads had a crack in them where antenna screws onto the connector. I looked thru the DSM and found J0700 on the schematic but no part number listed.

Anyone have a source for the pc board mounted mini uhf for the XPR mobiles.

Thanks
Tim

MotoBill

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Tim,

According to the XPR 5550e DSM, the Motorola Part Number for J0700 is 09009348002. You might check with a local Motorola shop in your area to see if they have one. Otherwise, I was able to quickly locate at least two online sources by searching for Mini UHF PC Mount
using the leading search engine.

Bill

OP
T

toolman60

Contributing Member
Thanks Mr Bill.

Looking that part number up you listed shows a BNC connector.
I searched online also but the one's I found if the picture is correct look nothing like my mini uhf. I keep looking maybe I find something.

One a good note at least I found it cracked before mounting in the truck. I got my antenna today so connected it to the radio. My RSSi was -112 in Richmond Va on the repeater only running 20w. The antenna was sitting in the window sill in the house so I think it do good with a gp underneath of the antenna.

I bumped the radio a couple times with the laptop when I was fighting all the programming stuff in CPS 2. I guess I hit it hard enough with the adapter on it for the dummy load that it cracked the connector with the extra strain of the adapter on it.

OP
T

toolman60

Contributing Member
Thank You both. Ordered me 2 of them rascals.

Now maybe by next week I can put the radio in truck. Want to try my new to me DMR radio and Laird antenna out.

MotoBill

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I think locating the replacement part will have been the easy part of your mission to repair your XPR5550e if its anything like some of the other Motorola radios that I've worked on that use the same PC mount connector. Hope you've got the right soldering/de-soldering tools or know someone locally that does. Be careful that you don't damage the board getting the broken connector out.

OP
T

toolman60

Contributing Member
Mr Bill,
I have sent email to my brother to dig out the Pace rework setup this weekend. Now I just wait on the USPS to bring me he connector and fancy case removal tool.

com501

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
When removing the board, be VERY careful about the RF module that sometimes requires the board to be heating slightly to pry it off of its heatsink. If you force it, you can damage the IC/module itself.

knickerlessparsons

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Hello All,

I went to install my 5550e today and found the threads had a crack in them where antenna screws onto the connector. I looked thru the DSM and found J0700 on the schematic but no part number listed.

Anyone have a source for the pc board mounted mini uhf for the XPR mobiles.

Thanks
Tim

Assuming the US manuals follow the same format as the European manuals, you'll find the antenna and dc connectors, as well as a couple of other useful board parts like the fuse detailed in the basic service manual. Unfortunately, as part of Motorola's continuing confusion program, they are nowhere near the exploded diagrams and parts list. Instead they are in Appendix B - Limited Level 3 Servicing next to the glossary at the back of the manual. They do a similar thing in some of the handportable manuals.

Incidentally do you guys really like the mini UHF connectors? In Europe we get BNC's rather than those horrid little things.