• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

Modified UHF OEM Stubby on ebay...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mars

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
A dummy load also has a VSWR of 1.5:1 or better.

Alpha

T¹ ÆS Ø - Moderator, CS Forums $upporter
Staff member
CS Forums $upporter
Apparently he doesn't realize they already make a T-band UHF antenna, it's the UHF stubby with a BLACK color code. This piece of crap is (I think) a VHF cut off to 2 1/2 inches - the "green" color code is a dab of paint that missed the insulator or was photoshopped in, it looks like originally was a BLACK VHF antenna (150-162 MHz). By modifying a VHF antenna, the coils are spaced closer and he can shorten it to 2 1/2 instead of the 3 1/2 inches the BLACK stubby already is. For the loss of an inch, it's performance is making a compromise solution (a stubby sucks to begin with) that much worse.

Interestingly I have an 700/800 MHz antenna that looks almost exactly like it but even shorter. I think it's made by MaxRad but it's interesting it's only 1 inch long and it actually works fairly well! It has a tiny bit less gain than the eye-burner 800/900 MHz stubby, and they make it in 2 ranges, blue dot for 700/800 and red dot for 800/900 MHz. It's quite cute, it looks like a UHF stubby shortened to about 1 inch, and the radio looks like it has 3 knobs on it when it's installed on an XTS2500 :)

Mars

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Alpha: This stupid thing?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359558226.662707.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359558237.171494.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dustymedic

Contributing Member
I have a friend with one of those on his XTS2500 800mhz. He lives out in the boonies and claims it works great..

Alpha

Staff member
CS Forums $upporter
Mars, No. I had one of the ones you show and it sucked pretty hard as I recall.

No, here it is (the band indicator dot is on top, not the insulator)...

As I said, this works amazingly well, almost as well as the normal stubby 800 antenna.

Plus, the radio looks like a signal bargraph in silhouette profile :D

MaxRad 700-800 Stubby 2.jpgMaxRad 700-800 Stubby 1.jpg

Alpha

Staff member
CS Forums $upporter
@Firecpt809 - it IS remotely possible his antenna has more gain than the normal T-Band stubby but if so ONLY in a VERY narrow range of frequencies. By close-spacing the coils and shortening it, it trades off bandwith for little more gain. So the gain figure may be higher for the 5 Mhz he claims it for, but over the 30-40 MHz that the normal antenna covers it will have less gain everywhere else. A definite case of "specmanship" at best.

OP
Firecpt809

Firecpt809

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
The guy selling them is trying to cater to the Chicago police/ fire they use XTS3000's on the polide side and XTS5000's fire. He is out of a suburb of the city. Those are the freq ranges that they use. One gripe that the cops have is that the batteries run down fast, thats becase of cheap low bid batteries and poor battery maintainace, and the antenna on the PSM is too tall. They dont need the gain as the system has recieve sites allover the city at almost every school. I think its all voodoo bs..

Creoden

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
@Alpha, I've seen those on 48hours, Miami PD, always wondered who made them, been looking for a supplier since I saw them.

Alpha

Staff member
CS Forums $upporter
A place out of South Fla has them Mutual Aid Supplies. I believe there was a sys admin for a county down there banned them from use because of poor performance. The cops liked them because of the size. Just so you know the guy selling them is a real tool...

http://shortwaveamerica.blogspot.com/2010/12/thirty-names-roberto-does-he-have.html

I'll save you all some time, he's selling the crappy one Mars had pictured. I am still trying to find a source for the one I showed. I'm not 100% positive they are made by MaxRad, that was the best I remembered - I got them used from someone who I haven't spoke to in a couple of years, so I'm trying to remember exactly who made them and/or where to get them...

WQNV648

Prolific Contributor
So thats where that antenna came from! The one that MARS posted, I got a junk box of odd antennas and there was like 10 of those buggers in them and they totally suck on 800 with my MTS2000.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.