• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

Motorola ASTRO-X adventures

OP
d119

d119

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
What in the hell?

Anyway, I'll be doing my own thing for a battery... LOL

RFI-EMI-GUY

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
What in the hell?

Anyway, I'll be doing my own thing for a battery... LOL
You might want to buy one of those USB Jump Start Lithium Ion battery packs. You can buy a 12V pigtail to plug into it. You will get 11.1 to 12.6 volts and can charge it via USB.

OP
d119

d119

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
MODS: Can we get this thread renamed to "Motorola ASTRO-X adventures" or something more descriptive? This has developed into a much more in depth thread.

OK, so the ASTRO-X is up and running. What I did:

1. Bought a PL259 to SMA adapter and I'm using some SMA hammy antenna that I had laying around (the "super-flexible" type for obvious reasons).

2. Installed a 12V 2.9Ah SLA (PowerSonic PS 1227 fits great) into the battery container and cabled it over to the battery/charging control board. Fuse holders are confirmed to be Bussman HBV. They use the smaller glass fuses at 7.5A. Good luck with that. I put 8A fuses in mine.

3. Installed a no-frills VHF ASTRO Saber III with the following configuration:

Host R07.71.06
DSP: N08.03.05
Flash Code: 541001-0C1A00-6

It's interesting. The thing powers up and beeps, makes a bunch of pulsing/thumping noises, beeps a couple of times, HHCH shows FAIL 01/90, recycles, and everything is good to go.

UPDATE: After some programming changes, I'm getting normal functionality, no thumping and no more 01/90 out of it.

Changes I made to the CP to get rid of 01/90:

1. Turn off Self Test Alert Tone. Let the ASTRO-X generate that itself.
2. Turn off all side buttons (set to UNPROGRAMMED).

Two position rocker switch should be set for Position 1 Clear Tx Select, Position 2 Secure TX Select. I turned off clear alert tones, not sure if that makes a difference.

Curious if others with these units have the same behavior.

I don't have a charger for my unit, it only came with the cigar lighter cable, but that does appear to do something. I occasionally see a red light come on on the battery box, not sure if that indicates charging, or fault, or what but it never turns green, it's either red or off. Haven't really used it much to determine what happens when the battery is run down.

UPDATE: About two minutes after my initial post, it went steady green. We'll see if this thing can happily charge an SLA. On the bench supply with the cigar lighter cord, I see about 4.5A in transmit.

More programming to be done on the portable. More specifically, the HHCH configuration within the portable,

One thing this DOES do is challenges Motorola_Otaku's AVA research to a small degree, as somehow this thing is able to control the radio with "current" firmware.

Photos and more to follow..

Last edited:
OP
d119

d119

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
So Side Button 1 on the radio should be programmed as MONITOR to make the monitor switch work properly.

A/B toggle corresponds to concentric switch A/B. Same with secure switch and top emergency button.

It doesn't appear the radio lower side buttons carry over to the ASTRO-X. Those buttons should be mapped onto the HHCH independent of the radio programming.

I had no issues keyloading it. The radio inside has a DES board in it and it keyloaded through the ASTRO-X KEYLOAD port without issue.

I'll report back on how this smaller SLA battery works out.

Anyone have a user guide for this thing?

OP
d119

d119

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Would that thing help you ? (Sorry, it's very basic, but I wasn't able to find more in my old folders & on the net...)
BTW, IIRC this doc comes from here, when it was still p25.ca
Hey that's great, thanks! I appreciate it.

code352

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Good info so far!

Can anyone identify the connector type for the power input, or the HHCH/Microphone connection?

RFI-EMI-GUY

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
There are cheap Chinese brass adaptors to convert the PL259 female to accept an NMO mount antenna should you wish to install something with a loading coil.

code352

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter

Attachments

• IMG_3961.JPG
    IMG_3961.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3962.JPG
    IMG_3962.JPG
    999.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3963.JPG
    IMG_3963.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3965.JPG
    IMG_3965.JPG
    779.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3966.JPG
    IMG_3966.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
OP
d119

d119

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Curious out there who else has these things... And which flavor (SABER-X or ASTRO-X) and what state it is in.

I have one ASTRO-X, fully working.

reactorpwr

CS Forums $upporter
**IF** I read the total number of pins correctly, there are 14 or 14+1(center) in the non-power plugs

comms cable recept looks similar to: Amphenol Tuchel Industrial "T 3650 001" or "C091 31G014 200 2"
----------------------------
comms cable plug looks similar to Amphenol Tuchel Industrial "C091 31H014 200 2"
-------------------------------
2 pin power: similar to CMC-2MP or ARS-9302-PNL (have to verify diameter of plugs)

Last edited:

code352

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
comms cable plug looks similar to Amphenol Tuchel Industrial "C091 31H014 200 2"
I think we have a winner on that one! I am going to try and make some audio accessories, and maybe a "programming cable" to program the saber in place.

Much appreciated, I buy the first round!

code352

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Curious out there who else has these things... And which flavor (SABER-X or ASTRO-X) and what state it is in.

I have one ASTRO-X, fully working.
This one came from the same place as yourself and NSPD, so we are the chosen three I suppose.

Mine had no antenna, no power cable or adapter, no NiCad battery pack in the shell, no radio.

OP
d119

d119

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Mine arrived in similar fashion except it included the cigar lighter cable. It was also missing the two fuses in the battery box.

I think I was the first to buy, and the other two were listed shortly after I bought mine (and I didn't catch them - lucky you two!).

I almost didn't buy mine as I didn't really believe what I was seeing at first. Now that I have it working, whooh - I'm glad I did!

reactorpwr

CS Forums $upporter
I think we have a winner on that one! I am going to try and make some audio accessories, and maybe a "programming cable" to program the saber in place.

Much appreciated, I buy the first round!

For once I feel as if I have contributed something of value to this forum! Amphenol and cannon plugs are my jam. Dealt with them enough in the navy.

NSPD

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I had been collecting accessories for years (I already had a Saber-X) as well as holding onto an Astro Saber with AES on the off chance I found one someday.

OP
d119

d119

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
I'm extremely pleased with the unit. Thus far I haven't had to charge the battery, though I haven't been doing much with it. It's a kick in the pants to operate though - like having a mobile radio but not.

@NSPD, were you able to get your FAIL 01/90 to go away?