Motorola Centacomm II Console

FairGuy

I have CCII consoles (3) with paging capabilities and the CEB with 3 card cages. the original OMI boards were programmed via a shooter by removing the eproms and programming; however, I was not familiar with the coding required to modify the consoles capabilities. Last summer a Motorola technician inserted 2 TOMI boards for 2 of the operator positions. Now I have feedback through the operator position that is not in use.
If anyone can advise as to how to modify the coding to eliminate the feedback I would appreciate it.

y85csm

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
The TOMI cards need crossmute programmed into them.
Depending on the vintage of the cards you either still might need a PROM programmer if really old.
The newer TOMI cards had EEPROMS and you could program through the serial card with a cable.
Either way, you also need the CCII software which runs on DOS.

This stuff is really old - hope you are not using it for mission critical dispatch.

OP
F

FairGuy

Thank you for the info, I was pretty much thinking the same thing; however, not having extensive knowledge of some of the commands that can be entered from the console I was not sure what I would be able to do.
The equipment age runs from late 80's to about early 2000's when it was eventually removed from service. In 2015 I was able to acquire it and patch it together. I do have the original 4" thick manual for the system that does contain some basic programming information; however, there is no software included.
The TOMI boards came from a completely different system that used the gold elite system. I have everything from that system (CIE's (5), CEB, all cabling, etc.) except the computers and software.
The Motorola Technician who programmed the TOMI boards did it with a laptop and the serial card. He is still working for a local Motorola radio shop and is getting ready to retire, thus his extensive knowledge of this type of system. He has installed and maintained this old system when it was in the local town 911 PSAP. I have everything but the software.
The system works great for the fair and other events, since I only need it up and operational about 10 days out of the whole year.
I was thinking of upgrading to the gold series however, my budget will not allow for spending what is required.
The CC II system works great and my "dispatchers" like the system (as old as it is) because it is simple and easy to operate. I like it also if I can get the programming issues cleared up.

y85csm

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
Are you running the CCII buttons and LEDs or are you using the CCII+ PC based console??
I used to service CCII+ consoles for a Utility until they joined the statewide P25 system and upgraded to MCC7500.
I still might have some CEB cards laying around.
The CEB was pretty much bulletproof except for the capacitors on the cards eventually would go bad.

d119

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
You would need to make sure your TOMI cards are equipped with EEPROMs before you can PC program them. There is a DOS programming software for these called "Series II+ Field PROM Programmer". It's around... Not an easy find, but not super-rare either. CEB uses a regular old RS232 card above the TOMI and a regular old CEB programming cable.

Going from an OMI to a TOMI is what makes Centracom Series II become Centracom Series II+. II+ was available in B&L and CRT.

Any AEI cards in the system (which are generally paired with the TOMI via a "Y" cable) should have their capacitors replaced.

You could just yank out the TOMI and timer cards and put COIMs and Gold series timer cards in there and upgrade your system to Centracom Gold B&L. Then you can use the Centracom Gold Elite CDM and card uploader software and have something from this century. That Series II+ stuff was gone by the late 90's.

I still have a ton of that stuff. Can't bring myself to part with it. But I run Gold Elite at home, and Gold B&L at the RR museum. The Gold Series compact op has the following engraving on it above the MCM: "GOLD SERIES PILOT RUN". Give you one guess where that came from...

OP
F

FairGuy

Thank you for the info.
FYI, my system is basically simple. The radios are in the same room as all of the equipment and the dispatchers, so wire runs are quite short <20'.
I am running the CCII B&L. I only have 2 TOMI boards for the 2 operator positions I have. The original system had 3 operator positions with the original OMI boards. The Motorola Tech installed the 2 TOMI boards to program the system (B&L) instead of trying to program the older OMI boards.
When the tech programmed the TOMI boards I have 15 RCMs programmed in for each operator position with one that is set up for phone; however, I am using the 600 ohm line for input into our PA system and the XMIT button opens the mic into the PA. Knowing that there is a limited amount of resources for this older system, I had him program all of the RCM positions for radios. so if something failed and a replacement is no longer available I can just rewire the punch block to the tone remote, or move a BIM, etc. I have enough BIMs for each RCM position, again in the event of failure and flexibility.
I have a significant number of BIMs (some old, some newer version).
The tech also programmed each card slot BIM for either Tone or DC so I could use whatever remote I could find to control the radios. Currently the tone remotes are where I have a shortage.
I know the boards have a history of failing, thus my reasoning for programming redundancy and simplicity.

OP
F

FairGuy

Thank you for the info.
The TOMI boards do have EEPROMS, they do not have a "Y" cables attached.
Currently I do not have any COIM's or gold series timer cards at my disposal.
Working with what I can get donated or scrape together. I had to make up 2 of the 7 pair umbilical's from pieces when the system was removed from service. Luckily one of the cables was intact so I could trace the conductors. The original CCII came from our locale PD PSAP and various pieces, components, including 5 CIE's from two local Motorola dealers.

OP
F

FairGuy

In addition to the CCII system two Zetron Model 21 IRR's were also supplied. I am looking from manuals on how to interconnect these. I believe they were connected to the phone systems in the console. This is not necessary for our use, but I would like to connect one to each operators position of to a specific radio (like our EMS radio) to record important information that can be recalled for record purposes in the event a transmission is missed or that we could not manually copy the transmitted information quick enough.
I have played with these and have had some luck; however, I do not know what the pinout is on the back of the units. And I cannot get audio out from any recording. Would like to save and/or recall a specific recording, but I do not know how.
Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

d119

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Can I ask the "general" type of service these are being used in?

So do you have AEI cards next to your TOMI's? With a cable that connects between the CEB backplane and the 7-pair connector on the front of the AEI? The sum of which goes to the operator position?

If you don't have that, you likely have TTOMI cards (Turbo TOMI) instead of TOMI cards. If I recall correctly, the TTOMI cards had the audio handling built on to them as they were a higher-density card than the TOMI, thus there was on-board real-estate for the audio components, where as with the TOMI, there wasn't enough room on the card, so an external AEI and "Y" cable were required.

You can likely find everything you need to convert this to Gold series on eBay, minus the software.

But that can be had.

OP
F

FairGuy

The system is used for my county fair and other events on the fairgrounds.
No AEI cards; however, I have to look at what I have in boxes. I remember seeing a card with a 7-pair connection on it, but I don't remember what the part number is or where it came from (a few donated "gifts" over the past 3 years - LOL).
The Operator cards are in the 2 center slots and the radio BIMS are in the other 8. The timers are in the second card cage along with the other radio BIMS.
We operate on 5 frequencies and 3 P25 wo our local town Dispatcher and the county Dispatcher.
I would love to find any programming software even if we have to purchase it, since this system has been evolving over the past 4 years.

OP
F

FairGuy

What type of CEB Cards do you have? Are any of them TOMI cards?
Since you used to service the CCII+ do you know where I can find the software so I can eliminate the cross mute issue I have?

OP
F

FairGuy

Are you running the CCII buttons and LEDs or are you using the CCII+ PC based console??
I used to service CCII+ consoles for a Utility until they joined the statewide P25 system and upgraded to MCC7500.
I still might have some CEB cards laying around.
The CEB was pretty much bulletproof except for the capacitors on the cards eventually would go bad.

What type of CEB Cards do you have? Are any of them TOMI cards?
Since you used to service the CCII+ do you know where I can find the software so I can eliminate the cross mute issue I have?

d119

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
My guess is that this is a Series II+ CEB with TTOMI cards in it (Turbo TOMI). If you pull out the operator cards, do they have a big square chip with a gold top on them? And several transformers mounted to the board?

I've never actually programmed a TTOMI before. Every one of them I've ever come across has severe capacitor leakage and was unusable. I'm not sure if they program with their own software, II+ Field PROM Programmer software, or some form of pre-Gold series CDM (guessing there).

Give us the part number of your TOMI/TTOMI cards and we'll tell you exactly what you have. Maybe a photo of the card, and a photo of which system timer card you have.

y85csm

Contributing Member
CS Forums $upporter
What type of CEB Cards do you have? Are any of them TOMI cards?Since you used to service the CCII+ do you know where I can find the software so I can eliminate the cross mute issue I have?
Sorry, it took me a while to dig it all out.I have :3 - TOMI cards with EEPROMs (BLN6825B)2 - LOBL cards (BLN6830A)1 - CIE Board (BLN1195A) (sorry no audio board)1 - Timer card (BLN6650B)1 - Audio Expansion card (AEI) (BLM6845B)Everything came out of a working CCII+ system that was decommissioned, but nothing has been powered up in a long time.If you want this stuff it is yours.Otherwise I will post this stuff in classified section.

OP
F

FairGuy

It will take some time as I have to go to the fairgrounds to pull the info. As soon as I do I will get back to you.

OP
F

FairGuy

Sorry, it took me a while to dig it all out.I have :3 - TOMI cards with EEPROMs (BLN6825B)2 - LOBL cards (BLN6830A)1 - CIE Board (BLN1195A) (sorry no audio board)1 - Timer card (BLN6650B)1 - Audio Expansion card (AEI) (BLM6845B)Everything came out of a working CCII+ system that was decommissioned, but nothing has been powered up in a long time.If you want this stuff it is yours.Otherwise I will post this stuff in classified section.

Yes I would be willing to take the cards. Greatly appreciated.

OP
F

FairGuy

My guess is that this is a Series II+ CEB with TTOMI cards in it (Turbo TOMI). If you pull out the operator cards, do they have a big square chip with a gold top on them? And several transformers mounted to the board?

I've never actually programmed a TTOMI before. Every one of them I've ever come across has severe capacitor leakage and was unusable. I'm not sure if they program with their own software, II+ Field PROM Programmer software, or some form of pre-Gold series CDM (guessing there).

Give us the part number of your TOMI/TTOMI cards and we'll tell you exactly what you have. Maybe a photo of the card, and a photo of which system timer card you have.

Pictures of TOMI Board. Sorry I forgot to get the pic of the timer board.IMG_3124.jpg IMG_3125.jpg

d119

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Oh! Lucky you! You have a CENTRACOM Gold CEB!

You should be able to use Centracom Gold Elite CDM and CEB Card Upload to make any changes you want.

The bad news: You really can't "read" a CEB, so you're going to have to start from complete scratch in the database, and go from there. If you know what you're doing, it's really not THAT big a deal, especially if you have a limited number of cards, consoles, and resources.

Once you have things where you want them, you upload the data base to the CEB using an RS232 card positioned above the COIM (the card you have pictured), using a CEB RS232 cable (easy to build, no RIB or other fancy level converter required). The database remains on the computer you programmed it with, so once the database is built, you have a copy on the PC to make modifications with.

If you can get hold of the Gold Elite software, you can likely buy some used CIE's on eBay (or pay for the shipping for the ones I'm about to offer) and covert to (or add) Gold Elite PC consoles. If the firmware on your COIMs is new enough.

I've a shit ton of CIEs, you pay the shipping.

You've pretty much got the latest stuff available for your CEB. You should have BLN7011 timers in the system.

radioguy392

Thank you for the info.
The TOMI boards do have EEPROMS, they do not have a "Y" cables attached.
Currently I do not have any COIM's or gold series timer cards at my disposal.
Working with what I can get donated or scrape together. I had to make up 2 of the 7 pair umbilical's from pieces when the system was removed from service. Luckily one of the cables was intact so I could trace the conductors. The original CCII came from our locale PD PSAP and various pieces, components, including 5 CIE's from two local Motorola dealers.
FairGuy,

Sorry to dig up an old thread...
Any chance you have any extra 7 pair cables, whole or cut? And by chance did you document the pinout on them? Were they wired straight through, 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, etc...?

Thanks!