• If posting about a radio issue: Include the HOST, DSP and UCM/secure firmware versions, flashcode and CPS version you're using along with the operating system info. This is critical information.

Motorola Saber Short Batteries

Status

Mars

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Excellent links. And just a VERY IMPORTANT reminder for anyone who may not know any better:

You MUST use a tri-chemistry or IMPRES charger to charge these lithium-ion batteries. If you drop them in to one of the standard single/gang saber rapid-chargers, you run a very real risk of a fire, explosion or serious burn injuries. Lithium-ion batteries are not to be abused. EVER.

Avery Johannssenn

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Thanks for the links! I've got OEM square Li-Ions on my Astro Sabers, but these look even smaller. Might pick up one or two.

Mars

Prolific Contributor
CS Forums $upporter
Mars did you ever end up picking one of these up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Negative. I'm strapped for cash until a bunch of new TRBO infrastructure is paid for.

WQNV648

Prolific Contributor
Whats the best route for a NiMH short battery for use with the AVA on the Astro Saber? The only thing I can find is the W&W stuff, which would be fine despite their quality issues for my application, but if there is anything else non-Li-ion and short, I would be interested.

S

syntrx

Not Registered
I received one of the Cut Rate batteries today.

Occasionally while I transmit, the radio will go completely dead. Turning it on and off, and taking the battery off and putting it back on won't revive it. Dropping the battery back into the charger for even a second will bring it back to life. Some sort of internal protection circuit being tripped?

I haven't gotten as far as trying to measure the voltage at the battery terminals yet as my multimeter was nowhere nearby at the time.

EDIT: Turns out the guys on Batlabs have seen the same problem with the 5Ah Chinese packs. Hmmm.

Last edited:

Alpha

T¹ ÆS Ø - Moderator, CS Forums $upporter
Staff member
CS Forums $upporter
They're trying to sabotage the world's Public Safety systems! <ducks>

OP
kc2obw

kc2obw

Prolific Contributor
I received one of the Cut Rate batteries today.

Occasionally while I transmit, the radio will go completely dead. Turning it on and off, and taking the battery off and putting it back on won't revive it. Dropping the battery back into the charger for even a second will bring it back to life. Some sort of internal protection circuit being tripped?

I haven't gotten as far as trying to measure the voltage at the battery terminals yet as my multimeter was nowhere nearby at the time.

EDIT: Turns out the guys on Batlabs have seen the same problem with the 5Ah Chinese packs. Hmmm.

I'm having the same issue. I didn't notice right away because Mostly use my astro saber as a overrated scanner.

Status